Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
A fun M1886 to look at: a quarter million but does it letter?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 16, 2018 - 11:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

http://merzantiques.com/photo/fantastic-factory-engraved-gold-inlaid-winchester-model-1886-light-we

This is quite the ’86.  I note that a museum letter is included.  Reading through the letter, I am reminded of recent discussions we have had regarding what is and isn’t in a letter, and what can be interpreted from a, “repair and return” notation.

In the case of this rifle, the seller states the repair and return notation means that it was returned for a change from full magazine to half magazine.  Obviously this is based on the fact that the rifle presently has a half magazine vs. a full magazine.  I was interested to read of his discovery of the filled in dovetail cut in underside of the barrel (which can be seen in a photo).  I wonder how often Winchester did this?  I suppose given the engraving, gold bands, etc. on this barrel, they wouldn’t automatically just throw a new barrel on the rifle. 

Back to the letter, no mention of the engraving, gold work or presentation plaque.  Also of interest, “Shipped to W.R.A. Company of New York, Inc.” – do they mean Winchester Repeating Arms? 

I am intrigued. 

Thoughts?  Reactions?  Assuming you had the money, would the lack of some features in the letter deter you?

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
April 17, 2018 - 1:36 pm

Just my 2¢ worth:  the letter has no notations as to what was done at the factory.  A seller’s natural tendency is to interpret all ambiguous documentation to support his claims.  On a $10K gun I might not be concerned but on a $250K gun anything that isn’t 100% provable would be deal breaker, not that $250K is something I would ever consider to begin with.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
April 17, 2018 - 1:56 pm

So are we supposed to assume that the engraving etc that is not mentioned in the letter was done when it was returned to the factory as mentioned in the letter? If someone was going to get all of the engraving done and spend the money for that, why would they just not put on a new barrel verses that patched up thing that is there now? I can’t believe Winchester would do that would they? Just wondering…Peter

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
April 17, 2018 - 2:00 pm

Eagle said
So are we supposed to assume that the engraving etc that is not mentioned in the letter was done when it was returned to the factory as mentioned in the letter? If someone was going to get all of the engraving done and spend the money for that, why would they just not put on a new barrel verses that patched up thing that is there now? I can’t believe Winchester would do that would they? Just wondering…Peter  

Also, all that engraving was completed on the same day it was received in the warehouse.  Those engravers must have been idly sitting around waiting for something to do.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
April 17, 2018 - 8:10 pm

Steve, I have some experience with high dollar exposition guns owned by Winchester. Judging from the pictures and letter this gun falls in that category. The key is “W.R.A. Company” and the 1917 date. This gun was still owned by Winchester in 1917, not long after that they stopped making ledger entries, but they still sent display gun all over the World. LeRoy knows his guns, there’s a reason he thinks it’s worth 250k. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
April 17, 2018 - 8:56 pm

TR said
 Steve, I have some experience with high dollar exposition guns owned by Winchester. Judging from the pictures and letter this gun falls in that category. The key is “W.R.A. Company” and the 1917 date. This gun was still owned by Winchester in 1917, not long after that they stopped making ledger entries, but they still sent display gun all over the World. LeRoy knows his guns, there’s a reason he thinks it’s worth 250k. T/R  

A friend had a factory exposition gun.  It had a letter that took two pages to show all of the modifications that were done to it.  Just looking at the pictures this gun looks nice to me.  Way out of my league. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
April 17, 2018 - 9:55 pm

steve004 said
Back to the letter, no mention of the engraving, gold work or presentation plaque.  Also of interest, “Shipped to W.R.A. Company of New York, Inc.” – do they mean Winchester Repeating Arms? 

I am intrigued. 

Thoughts?  Reactions?  Assuming you had the money, would the lack of some features in the letter deter you?  

The “Shipped to W.R.A. Co of New York” is a yes in that regard. Winchester had a store at 245 Broadway, New York for a very long time. Then later they opened another store in California. These were Winchester Company stores and not just merely a hardware or outlet store selling Winchester Goods. 

1.jpgImage Enlarger2.jpgImage Enlarger

Sometime I believe around 1900 they moved the New York Store to the Winfield Building in New York.

My thoughts on the gun itself, are that it looks very good, and nicely done gun. It would have been engraved and blued prior to entering the warehouse and leaving the factory. Why its not mentioned in the Cody Letter, I do not know. If it were me, I’d like to see a copy of the letter page or card. Then I’d have Pauline Muerrle authenticate the engraving as well.

http://paulinemuerrle.com/

Then go from there, Surely the $250,000 price tag is somewhat negotiable. Its a dandy of a gun.

Sincerely,

Maverick

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 149
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970