Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
What's my 1929 Trapper worth?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
September 2, 2013 - 7:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Thanks for all the responses. After looking at all of my options, I think I’ll take my chances on Gunbroker. As of tonight, it is listed with no reserve. We’ll see what happens.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 81
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 2, 2013 - 7:45 pm

John,

I,m kinda surprised you didn’t opt for the 14 day auction,any reason?

John K

WACA Guest
September 3, 2013 - 5:04 am

Hi John K,

I never really thought to do a 14 day auction. I’ve always done 7 day auctions and they seemed like a sufficient amount of time. I guess we’ll see.

John

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
September 3, 2013 - 6:18 am

Here is the link for those who want to follow this auction and see the final value. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=363454868

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 183
September 7, 2013 - 9:28 am

Dear Migrapilot,

I am the person who kindly attempted to forewarn you about your vague and "misleading-by-omission" description of this gun on GB.
You responded by attacking my credibility by saying I should get some experience on the auctions and "talk to George Madis" about faking guns or misleading their condition.

A. your description IS misleading to an inexperienced buyer. Your "the pictures-tell-the-tale" wording is ripe for misleading the newbie buyer AND your requirements for returning the item show that you are making it as difficult as possible for anyone to do so. That indicates a latent knowledge of problems with the item and a veiled attempt at covering them up – DISHONESTY.
B. Re. Madis – Unfortunately to the Winchester world, MY FRIEND George has passed.
C. Your inference to my inexperience may have been better investigated.
D. Kudos for directing potential buyers to this forum for more information – apparently it has NOT worked.
E. In your reply to me you indicated your vast experience with on-line auctions. If this includes firearms as your number of transactions would indicate – why are you asking for opinions on this forum? I am suspecting more experience on EBay type auctions.
F. I would also suspect that YOU were the less-than-astute person who cleaned the gun.

It would appear that you have already reached a more than reasonable price point for this item, which is amazing (It shows how many new or just plain inexperienced people are out there) Hopefully a newbie will be happily unaware of the true value of the item and if not, you will be honest about taking a return.

Regards,
Bob

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
September 7, 2013 - 11:27 am

I just read the return policy and was shocked, I would never buy a gun with that many strings attached. The return policy is going to scare away a lot of bidders. A inspection period should be no questions asked.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
September 7, 2013 - 4:26 pm

BOBR94(Bob),

I am very sorry that I didn’t know you are who you are. Had I known who you are, I would never have taken such a insolent tone. This is your very FIRST (Kind) email to me. Keep in mind that I have no clue who you are:

"You are likely doomed to a return. You did not mention the extensive and poorly done overall cleaning and the fact that the barrel bands are installed backwards indicating at least a disassembly and at worst a re-barrel. The ATF knows next to NOTHING about accurately evaluating an item so the letter merely makes the gun legal. Not what I would call an accurate or honest description. Your extensive write-up about the conditions of a return is the red flag. This will not bode well for your feedback."

Me: Thanks for your response, you are entitled to your opinion. Right or wrong. Have you been on Gunbroker very long? If not, come back and talk to me when you get some experience with low feedback bidders. I took a lot of close ups as well as listed a link to the discussion that describes exactly what you mentioned. Hardly suspect. If you don’t like the gun or have any apprehension, please don’t bid!

Hmmm Bob….Not quite as you are making it out.

One of your neg. feedback as the seller on GB Sir (1894COLEKTR):

A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: A+: +: ~~A~~CLASS~AAA+++~~KIND~~OF~~A~~GUY!!!~~~~~~AND!!~~A~~SUPER~~DUPER~~GB-ER!!!!~~~~FAST~~~PAYER~~~GREAT!!!~~~~~~ 🙂
Response: (left on 5/24/2013) If you look back at my only bad rating in many years, it was from this guy ?????? and now he raves? "NUTSO" Beware AND I thought I was blocked – is he wrapped too tight?
Follow Up: (left on 5/24/2013) He is a "BLOCKED" Bidder!, there is a Reason why he has only a 99% Feedback Rating!, Beware and be Forewarned!, Stay Away and BLOCK him before it’s too Late!. 🙁

I have no problem what-so-ever in taking my gun back if it is not as I described it. I want to scare away that ONE crack pot. Is that you?

Please go away. Oh yeah, thanks for removing me from the board so I could not respond to your post….class act!!

WACA Guest
September 7, 2013 - 7:18 pm

I never removed this guy from the board – does anyone know what he’s talking about in that rambling incoherent message?
B

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
September 7, 2013 - 7:33 pm

BOBR94 said
I never removed this guy from the board – does anyone know what he’s talking about in that rambling incoherent message?
B

Umm………..no. 😕 Glad I am not the only one confused.

Matt

WACA Member
September 7, 2013 - 7:40 pm

That message is a head-scratcher. Hopefully, he has arranged for a designated driver if he’s going anywhere tonight. 😕

Wisconsin
WACA Member
September 7, 2013 - 8:01 pm

Maybe a spammer got through the cracks

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 7, 2013 - 9:24 pm

1873man said
Maybe a spammer got through the cracks

Bob

Not likely, but I too am confused by the chain of events in this topic. It does appear that somebody disabled "migrapilot’s" account today, which really confuses me (there are only three people that can do that to the best of my knowledge, and Bob is not one of them).

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
September 8, 2013 - 4:22 pm

It appears the seller of that short barreled 92 carbine was trying to defend his type of auction posting on Gunbroker. Seems to be a somewhat rude response to legit concerns on his auction posting.

I personally think the way he went about trying to "show case" his gun on this forum was very unprofessional. Most of the members of the forum will generally post such things in the proper forum heading of Winchester swap Meet. And they generally leave a small description and reference to the Gunbroker site. Generating an entire thread to discuss your firearm and then try to sell it seems a little odd to me. Most sellers let the gun speak for itself.

I also think that this is not the intended function of this forum and should not be used for such a manner. Gunbroker has its own forum to discuss guns being sold on it. I also think most on this forum would agree with me on this.

Leaving a small polite posting of something for sale in the Swap Meet is entirely different than trying to drum up bidders for an upcoming auction.

Sincerely,
Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
September 9, 2013 - 7:03 pm

Sold for $3500 and change. Despite the unfortunate flap that developed on this, I think the seller got a good price for that gun. Hope the buyer is happy, too.

WACA Guest
September 9, 2013 - 7:48 pm

Seller got a real good price – considering. Buyer more than likely doesn’t even know about us. If he’s happy with his deal, so be it. Ignorance is bliss. Too bad we’ll never know if the deal really consummates or the buyer calls foul.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2307
September 9, 2013 - 8:32 pm

Hello

So just for a second go back and reread the supposed reply the seller got from the auction house about the potential value of the gun!! Does anybody think they are talking reality???

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Wisconsin
WACA Member
September 9, 2013 - 9:09 pm

You have to remember that a auction house will inflate the price to a perspective seller to get another gun for their auction especially if you only have one gun. They are not worried about burning the bridge.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
September 9, 2013 - 9:21 pm

There are a lot of red flags in this whole discussion and photos. I hope the gun is legit for the buyer’s sake.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2307
September 10, 2013 - 6:20 am

1873man wrote:

You have to remember that a auction house will inflate the price to a perspective seller to get another gun for their auction especially if you only have one gun. They are not worried about burning the bridge.

Bob

I absolutely agree with you.

Just keep in mind that Julia’s really doesn’t care what the gun sells for as long as it sells and they get their slice of the pie. Therefore it is in their self interest to tell you they can get the moon for your gun so that you will consign it to them.

It is like asking the chef at a restaurant if the food id any good. What do think his answer is going to be???

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
September 10, 2013 - 8:17 am

Another thing to consider is that a rifle may often appear to be honest on first glance, especially to a non-expert. We do not know if the person doing the appraising at the auction house noticed any problems or not, or what photos were shown to the auction house.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., clarence, Darrin Smith, oldcrankyyankee, SureShot
Guest(s) 45
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263