Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
What's my 1929 Trapper worth?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
August 25, 2013 - 4:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am starting here in the event one of you can enlighten me on the particulars, to include your opinion on value, of my Rifle. It looks like someone may have tried to clean some rust up in the past on the barrel. How much will that effect value? Should I touch up the Blueing? I know, I know, but if someone tried cleaning it up already…It is fresh back from the ATF tech. branch and has been added to the registry. Cody museum says they don’t have info on this serial range or I’d letter it. I’ll let the pictures talk for me. I am planning on selling it. What would be a safe reserve ? Should I send it to Rock Island? Would it do better at an auction house or Gunbroker? I have good feedback on GB. Thanks for any insight or opinion.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae161/migrapilot/92Win055_zpsa3117bd6.jpg

[Image Can Not Be Found]

http://s968.photobucket.com/user/migrapilot/media/92Win055_zpsa3117bd6.jpg.html

migrapilot@yahoo for more pics.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 302
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 25, 2013 - 5:46 pm

Your 92 is in very nice condition, most short carbines are used hard. Leave it alone!

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 81
August 25, 2013 - 5:57 pm

Someone also cleaned the receiver and the barrel is pretty bad,it was a really nice gun with a flaked receiver but bad storage, hence the pitting on the barrel.It might very well be the last 1892 trapper,that,s a very late serial number,twobit will be able to enlighten you more about that.
As far as value,if it wasn’t cleaned maybe 5.5k as it is 2.5k-3k,i dont see many of these for sale so it is hard to place a value on it.

John K

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
August 25, 2013 - 6:04 pm

*winchester1886* said
Someone also cleaned the receiver and the barrel is pretty bad,it was a really nice gun with a flaked receiver but bad storage, hence the pitting on the barrel.It might very well be the last 1892 trapper,that,s a very late serial number,twobit will be able to enlighten you more about that.
As far as value,if it wasn’t cleaned maybe 5.5k as it is 2.5k-3k,i dont see many of these for sale so it is hard to place a value on it.

John K

I don’t think 3k will get the slightest whiff once the dust settles – still the cleaning was way overdone.

James

WACA Guest
August 25, 2013 - 6:06 pm

The barrel is actually the best part of the entire Rifle. The pictures I took are not very good. I had a hard time (focus) getting the inside of the barrel. The lands and grooves are very crisp. It doesn’t look like any corrosive ammo has ever been fired in it. Unlikely I know.

Thanks.

WACA Guest
August 25, 2013 - 6:09 pm

The barrel is actually the best part of the entire Rifle. The pictures I took are not very good. I had a hard time (focus) getting the inside of the barrel. The lands and grooves are very crisp. It doesn’t look like any corrosive ammo has ever been fired in it. Unlikely I know.

Thanks.

WACA Guest
August 25, 2013 - 6:10 pm

When i was speaking of the barrel i was referring to the finish i,m sure the bore is great ,large caliber 92,s always seem to have nice bores
John K

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
August 26, 2013 - 4:21 am

Hello,

The first link to photo bucket will not open for some reason. I can open the second link but it only has one image. What is the serial number of the rifle? That will help determine the year of manufacture.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
August 26, 2013 - 4:59 am

Michael,

there are arrows on the photo,s in the second link to scroll.

John k.

WACA Member
August 26, 2013 - 6:24 am

migrapilot,

We have conversed via email about your rifle just a few days ago. As I mentioned then the most unique feature of your rifle is the fact that the Model designation was applied to the right side of the barrel and that the Type 3 barrel address is found, at this late date, on the left side. The barrel was manufactured much earlier than the SN DOM of the receiver. The barrel address and caliber markings were applied at the time of manufacture but the barrel was then ‘altered’ with the Model designation on the right side for final assembly since the Model designation had been removed from the upper tang stamp. Another ‘out of place’ feature is that the rear sight dovetail is cut closer to the receiver face than is the norm at this time. SRC guns typically had a rear sight dovetail cut so that a longer buck horn style sight could be used thus necessitating a dovetail further from the receiver. I have documented about 10 of these sort of barrels in my survey.

From SN 998118 to 999400 I have 21 guns cataloged and all but one is a SRC configuration. Eight of those are 15 inch and one is a 14 inch trapper.

It is too bad that the steel wool monster tried to eat the rifle. I have seen much worse rifles sell for around $5000 but you will have to find someone who is really into collecting trappers.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
August 26, 2013 - 7:32 pm

Oner thing that I noticed, is that both barrel bands are installed 180 out (backwards). To me that is suggestive of the barrel being swapped.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 7
August 26, 2013 - 7:41 pm

twobit said
migrapilot,

….Another ‘out of place’ feature is that the rear sight dovetail is cut closer to the receiver face than is the norm at this time. SRC guns typically had a rear sight dovetail cut so that a longer buck horn style sight could be used thus necessitating a dovetail further from the receiver….

Michael

Is it just the later 1929 time period you are referring to Michael?? I know I had to order a shorter buckhorn sight to fit my SRC circa 1913 because the dovetail was cut too close to the receiver.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
August 26, 2013 - 7:48 pm

Kevin,

Your 1913 vintage SRC should not have a buckorn type sight on it. Instead, it should have the same sight as shown on the Trapper being discussed in this topic.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
August 27, 2013 - 4:28 am

Bert wrote:

Oner thing that I noticed, is that both barrel bands are installed 180 out (backwards). To me that is suggestive of the barrel being swapped.

My guess is that the bands were put on backwards after the gun was "cleaned". I have cataloged four other rifles very close to this gun’s SN with identical barrel markings which I believe would then strongly indicate they are original to the guns.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Member
August 27, 2013 - 4:51 am

kevind6 wrote:

Is it just the later 1929 time period you are referring to Michael?? I know I had to order a shorter buckhorn sight to fit my SRC circa 1913 because the dovetail was cut too close to the receiver.

Your rifle was manufactured for using the standard carbine folding sight not a buckhorn style rear sight. It was not until near the 950,000 range that the further forward rear sight dovetail begins to appear. By the mid 960,000 range all SRC guns cataloged have the ‘new’ rear sight position. Therefore, this rifle, at SN 998559 has a sight position out of place for the standard production barrels but it is at the correct position for barrels with the Type 3 barrel address and the caliber stamp by itself, without the MODEL designation, on the left side.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 7
August 27, 2013 - 5:01 am

Bert H. said
Kevin,

Your 1913 vintage SRC should not have a buckorn type sight on it. Instead, it should have the same sight as shown on the Trapper being discussed in this topic.

Bert

I still have the Winchester ladder sight original to my SRC tucked away in the safe. Unfortunately, my aged eyes need more of a color contrast to bring everything into focus…..hence the new Marbles buckhorn sight.

Thanks Michael and Bert.

WACA Guest
August 27, 2013 - 8:47 am

Thank you all very much for your responses. For your knowledge, this is the message I received from Julia’s. Still waiting on Rock Island to respond. Don’t kill the messenger.

Hello John,

Julia’s regularly handles the most desirable Winchesters in the world at our exclusive auctions twice each year. From the images it appears to be a 14-15 inch barrel in good to very good condition. Having the BATF-NFA letter is a big plus for resale purposes. Over the years Julia’s have sold many 92 Trappers and have gotten some spectacular prices for mint examples. Yours is certainly better than average and should fetch a good price. A conservative and realistic auction estimate is $7000-10,000. We are offering a minty 15” example in our upcoming October sale, which is unfortunately closed to new consignments. We would however be most pleased to represent you in our next auction in March, 2014.

We will begin promoting this auction immediately following the Oct 14-16sale.

Hope to include your 92 in the mix!

Regards,
Wes Dillon

J.Wesley Dillon

James D. Julia, Inc
Firearms Division
203 Skowhegan Rd
Fairfield, ME 04937

WACA Guest
August 27, 2013 - 11:48 am

Hello John,

James Julia seems to get more money for their auctioned guns than anybody.do you know what their commission is.Personally i would put it on Gunbroker $1.00 start no reserve.Iv’e sold a bunch of rifles on Gunbroker in the past few years and all but two didn’t sell for more than what they were worth they sold for what they were worth.good luck!

John k.

WACA Member
August 27, 2013 - 12:48 pm

John,

Just keep in mind that Julia’s really doesn’t care what the gun sells for as long as it sells and they get their slice of the pie. Therefore it is in their self interest to tell you they can get the moon for your gun so that you will consign it to them. I agree with the advice to list it on Gunbroker and keep a larger piece of the pie in your own pocket!

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323