Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
GB 1890 2nd Model... Original?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
February 7, 2013 - 7:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi fellows,

I have retouched the muzzles on several of my 1890s with a fine polishing stone. They look great when done, but I am still not quite satisfied with them because the final finish consists of fine, parallel scratch marks. Looking at several of my rifles still having the original finish on the muzzle shows a pattern of fine, circular scratches, not straight lines. Any comments on what the original finish looks like and how one might go about reproducing it on the muzzle of an 1890?

Hossfeathers

WACA Guest
February 11, 2013 - 10:32 am

Hossfeathers: Here’s a close up of the untouched 1890 muzzle I posted previously. Note the diagonal finishing marks and the slight bevel on the edges. Likely all hand work. Sounds like your polishing stone technique is the same or similar to the factory? It is a mid-30’s Model 90 LR. [Image Can Not Be Found]

WACA Guest
February 11, 2013 - 2:45 pm

Hi ohlode,

I stand somewhat corrected. Your photo answered my main question for me. Looks like my method is right, after all. I was a little confused, it appears. After having written my note, I found that I didn’t have any untouched Model 1890 muzzles to check out, but had been thinking of the round barrel Model 61 that I have with original finish muzzle. It shows distinct concentric finish rings. Incidentally, I also have a 1939 Model 61 octagon barrel rifle in WRF. Interesting enough, the muzzle on it is cut with a circular chamfer just like the rifle that started this thread. It looks original. Go figure.

Hossfeathers

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 12, 2013 - 4:39 am

Early round barrel guns have hand dressed flat muzzles as well. The straight parallel tool marks are always there on factory correct flat muzzles. Here is picture of a factory correct round barrel flat muzzle with the tool marks.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 158
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322