Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
450 Ex Highwall
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 10, 2022 - 2:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

pdog72 said

Mine was blued, with a brass bead, or at least it looked brass. It was on an 1886 ELW that lettered with express sight(s). I trade it off last year but recalled taking those hots since I’ve never seen that express front sight before. 

I’ve never seen one either.  One thing about its design is particularly intelligent, & I don’t mean the brass bead; nothing special about that.  But the unusually wide base allows it to be drifted with danger of striking the brl.  Looks like it could be done without use of a punch, which is the thing that often slips, by merely tapping one side or the other.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 92
February 10, 2022 - 2:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said

Yes it is, but some were marked “1885”.

With the serial number, I can determine if your rifle was factory equipped with a tang sight, and if so, which type it was.

Bert  

Bert, sent a PM.

Jeff

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
February 10, 2022 - 5:49 pm

steve004 said
This has been a very helpful and educational thread for me.  I’ll confess my ignorance on this cartridge.  Despite my fondness for Winchesters with big bores, I knew essentially nothing about this cartridge.  In fact, for years I assumed the .45EX was a straight-walled cartridge.  I sure was wrong about that.  The only downside is now I want one even more!  

The example in the drawing is exaggerated.  There is a .051″ difference from one end of the taper to the other.

I just realized that the drawing was showing the dimensions of a converted cartridge.  I measured the original cartridge I have and the diameter of the rim “D” is .649″, the diameter of the base “B” is .549″ and the neck with a seated bullet is .476″ “F”.

Here is a picture of the round with a 45-85 on one side and a 50 BMG on the other.

IMG_0734.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
February 10, 2022 - 9:50 pm

Chuck said
The example in the drawing is exaggerated.  There is a .051″ difference from one end of the taper to the other.

I just realized that the drawing was showing the dimensions of a converted cartridge.  I measured the original cartridge I have and the diameter of the rim “D” is .649″, the diameter of the base “B” is .549″ and the neck with a seated bullet is .476″ “F”.

Yeah I didn’t pay attention to the RCC being a conversion from .450 Nitro Express. The RCC brass has the overall case length and neck diameter is right. But the rim diameter and head diameter are slightly different. I don’t have one of these chambered rifles, but I’m guessing there is no issues with using reloaded fire formed cases in them.

I do wonder why RCC would need to lathe turn the base to .533 when the .450 N.E. base is .545. Where the French drawing shows the 13.95mm base (converts to .549″), Why not just leave the the base and rim alone?

450_NE_3.25_sketch.gifImage Enlarger

Sincerely,

Maverick

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
February 11, 2022 - 12:07 am

I emailed RCC to see if they have a cartridge dimension drawing I can look at before ordering.  It’s interesting that Maverick’s yellow French drawing converted to inches corresponds exactly to Chuck’s measurements: .549/head and .649/rim diameter.  A surmise is that the person who drew the French diagram was basing their measurements off the same brand cartridge.

Chuck:  What headstamp does your cartridge have?  A couple other members have said they’ll provide dimensions from actual cartridges when they have time.  It will be interesting to see if they — vary and by how much — by brand headstamp.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
February 11, 2022 - 4:55 am

Jeff C. said
I emailed RCC to see if they have a cartridge dimension drawing I can look at before ordering.  It’s interesting that Maverick’s yellow French drawing converted to inches corresponds exactly to Chuck’s measurements: .549/head and .649/rim diameter.  A surmise is that the person who drew the French diagram was basing their measurements off the same brand cartridge.

Chuck:  What headstamp does your cartridge have?  A couple other members have said they’ll provide dimensions from actual cartridges when they have time.  It will be interesting to see if they vary and by how much by brand headstamp.  

The white and yellow drawing are from the French company Gevelot. Gevelot was founded in 1820. It was later combined with Gaupillat to form Gevelot and Gaupillat. In 1894 the name was changed again to Societe Francaise des Munitions (SFM). I found a 1910 dated catalog that states (Anciens établissements Gévelot et Gaupillat – Société Française des Munitions de Chasse, de Tir et de Guerre – Société Française des Munitions) translated to Former Gévelot and Gaupillat establishments – French Society of Munitions for Hunting, Shooting and War – French Munitions Society, 1910. The Gevelot name was used up until 1980 when Gevelot became part of N.C.S. 

Dan Shuey’s WRACo head stamp book has some good notes on the 45 EX, “Mr. Starkweather’s letter of 12/5/1911 makes this cartridge obsolete and discontinued. C.I.M. #1159 of 3/15/1912, that gun shop no longer makes rifles in this caliber.” Page 115 of Vol.II also notes, “*1916 Last loaded – One Hand Loaded Lot (6)”

Since the 45 Express was a proprietary Winchester cartridge, I agree that SFM no doubt copied / made measurements from the Winchester brand cartridge for their own production purposes. The style of head stamp shown drawn is that of Winchester’s head stamp. 

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
February 11, 2022 - 5:35 pm

Maverick said

Chuck said

Yeah I didn’t pay attention to the RCC being a conversion from .450 Nitro Express. The RCC brass has the overall case length and neck diameter is right. But the rim diameter and head diameter are slightly different. I don’t have one of these chambered rifles, but I’m guessing there is no issues with using reloaded fire formed cases in them.

I do wonder why RCC would need to lathe turn the base to .533 when the .450 N.E. base is .545. Where the French drawing shows the 13.95mm base (converts to .549″), Why not just leave the the base and rim alone?

450_NE_3.25_sketch.gifImage Enlarger

Sincerely,

Maverick  

Just so everyone is clear the drawing I was referring to was the one I posted from Donnelly’s book.  This was a converted cartridge.  I have not looked at RCC’s diagram.  RCC will provide a drawing upon request.  I have one for the Henry from them.

WACA Member
February 11, 2022 - 5:44 pm

Jeff C. said

Chuck:  What headstamp does your cartridge have?  A couple other members have said they’ll provide dimensions from actual cartridges when they have time.  It will be interesting to see if they — vary and by how much — by brand headstamp.  

The head stamp is  WRACO 45 EX.  Winchester is the only one I know of that made these.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
February 11, 2022 - 5:56 pm

Chuck said

The head stamp is  WRACO 45 EX.  Winchester is the only one I know of that made these.  

Bert – do you have a box of these?

WACA Member
February 11, 2022 - 11:59 pm

Screenshot-2022-02-11-at-14-49-59-45-125-WINCHESTER-EXPRESS-Cartridgecollector-net.pngImage EnlargerThis is from Cartridgecollector.net showing UMC and Eley headstamps.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
February 12, 2022 - 6:18 am

steve004 said

Bert – do you have a box of these?  

Yes I do…

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
February 12, 2022 - 2:23 pm

Bert H. said

Yes I do…  

Wow!  That is very cool.  There can’t be many boxes of these out there.  Anyone else here have a box?

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 12, 2022 - 7:13 pm

steve004 said

Wow!  That is very cool.  There can’t be many boxes of these out there.  Anyone else here have a box?  

In addition to having (2) full boxes of Winchester 45 Express, I also have (2) full boxes of the Winchester 38 Express, and (1) full box of Winchester 40 Express cartridges.  Unfortunately, I do not (yet) have a rifle in any of those cartridges, even though that are not nearly as uncommon as my 50 Express, 405 WCF, and 40-90 Ballard rifles.  Eventually, I will find one reasonably priced!

Bert

WACA Member
February 12, 2022 - 10:27 pm

Bert H. said

In addition to having (2) full boxes of Winchester 45 Express, I also have (2) full boxes of the Winchester 38 Express, and (1) full box of Winchester 40 Express cartridges.  Unfortunately, I do not (yet) have a rifle in any of those cartridges, even though that are not nearly as uncommon as my 50 Express, 405 WCF, and 40-90 Ballard rifles.  Eventually, I will find one reasonably priced!

Bert  

Not one, but TWO boxes of .45 Express!  Good grief.  And of course the .38 Express and .40 Express cartridges are darn rare.  I have a particular fondness for full boxes of large, rare cartridges.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 12, 2022 - 10:38 pm

steve004 said

I have a particular fondness for full boxes of large, rare cartridges.    

As do I Cool

I also have full boxes of W.R.A.Co. 40-70 Ballard, 40-90 Ballard, 40-70 Sharps, 50-95 WCF, and 405 WCF.  I really enjoy collecting the older W.R.A.Co. cartridge boxes as well as the rifles.

Bret 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: dimrod, 1892takedown, pdog72, mrcvs, Mike MV
Guest(s) 47
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057