Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 French Contract Carbines
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2058
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 23, 2023 - 2:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

To All,

Here is an interesting video and website in French discussing the 1894 French Contract Carbines.

https://www.laipublications.com/livre/le-feu-aux-poudres-recueil-des-scriptes/la-winchester-1894-dans-larmee-francaise/

It is interesting to me to see them shooting it. I don’t know if its a French thing or just the fact that it is a younger person shooting. But I’ve never understood guys that have to dismount from their shoulder in order to chamber and fire the next round when shooting any Winchester.

I’ve always had no trouble keeping the firearm at my shoulder when levering the next round when firing. No matter the model Winchester. I can understand why some people do this with the 95, as it is the hardest in my opinion, due to long stroke length. 

Each their own I suppose.

Sincerely,

Maverick 

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4912
January 23, 2023 - 4:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Maverick said
It is interesting to me to see them shooting it. I don’t know if its a French thing or just the fact that it is a younger person shooting. But I’ve never understood guys that have to dismount from their shoulder in order to chamber and fire the next round when shooting any Winchester.

Certainly not either a French or young person thing; hand a ’94 to anyone inexperienced with lever actions & observe how they shoot it.  

But that’s not what’s most interesting in this video, which is the collection of Model 1915 “Adrian” helmets, the first steel helmet used in WWI, & eventually accepted & copied by every nation in the war, except Britain, the US, & of course Germany.  After the war it was adopted by countries from China to Mexico.  Both Patton & MacArthur wore them in preference to the US “Doughboy” issue.  I wear mine while watching WWI movies.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 778
January 23, 2023 - 1:11 pm

Interesting video.Thanks for posting.As to the shooting style,I wonder if these firearms had nor been used for awhile and were sticky, needing some cleaning and oiling?

NY
WACA Member
January 23, 2023 - 2:41 pm

28 gauge said
 As to the shooting style,I wonder if these firearms had nor been used for awhile and were sticky, needing some cleaning and oiling?

Looked very sticky, & maybe not well broken in; compared to the feel of the ’86 & ’92 designs, the ’94 is definitely balky until it’s seen a good deal of use, & even then not as smooth as the earlier actions.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 237
January 23, 2023 - 3:50 pm

I was aware of the 44A rear sight marked in meters on French Contract carbines but didn’t remember W or M(upside down W) was stamped on the swivel bases until I watched the video.

0F3ED411-6F20-4454-B06E-49486EE9CCBE.jpegImage Enlarger

Northeast Washington
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 60
January 23, 2023 - 4:48 pm

The story of how Remington played a role in their acquisition is very interesting.  It was the sight markings & swivels that caused me to do more research on this rifle after I obtained this rifle in a group from an estate.  Almost paid for the entire group of rifles when I sold it….

Image EnlargerImage Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 3844
January 23, 2023 - 6:11 pm

clarence said
  I wear mine while watching WWI movies.

Thanks, Clarence.  Maybe thanks isn’t the right word.  I’ll have that image in my mind every time I watch a war movie.

NY
WACA Member
January 23, 2023 - 7:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Chuck said

clarence said

I wear mine while watching WWI movies.

Thanks, Clarence.  Maybe thanks isn’t the right word.  I’ll have that image in my mind every time I watch a war movie.

Even though I grew up watching WWII docs in the early days of TV, when programmers were short of commercial TV progams, I’ve always been more fascinated by the much more horrific Great War.  In the last several yrs, some extraordinarily fine WWI documentaries have become available on streaming services such as NatGeo, Amazon, & my favorite, Curiosity Stream–stuff that you’d NEVER see on commercial channels.  Best of them is a 5-part series called Apocalypse WWI, in which the original B&W film stock has been colorized in such a true-to-live way that it’s really hard to believe you aren’t watching original color film; details of weapons, uniforms, etc., are much sharper than in B&W.  Most commercially-produced war moves are 3.2 beer compared to this actual on the battleground film footage, & NO fakey CGI special effects! 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2058
January 23, 2023 - 8:46 pm

clarence said Even though I grew up watching WWII docs in the early days of TV, when programmers were short of commercial TV progams, I’ve always been more fascinated by the much more horrific Great War.  In the last several yrs, some extraordinarily fine WWI documentaries have become available on streaming services such as NatGeo, Amazon, & my favorite, Curiosity Stream–stuff that you’d NEVER see on commercial channels.  Best of them is a 5-part series called Apocalypse WWI, in which the original B&W film stock has been colorized in such a true-to-live way that it’s really hard to believe you aren’t watching original color film; details of weapons, uniforms, etc., are much sharper than in B&W.  Most commercially-produced war moves are 3.2 beer compared to this actual on the battleground film footage, & NO fakey CGI special effects! 

Have you seen Peter Jackson’s WWI documentary “They Shall Not Grow Old”. It is very well done. They have gone through with AI and fixed the odd timing and unstable camera movements. It looks like smooth video you would shoot today. The only thing I really noticed is that the coloring of the film is slightly off. But is far batter than any other colorization of the old footage I’ve seen to date.

Sincerely,

Maverick

NY
WACA Member
January 23, 2023 - 9:51 pm

Maverick said
Have you seen Peter Jackson’s WWI documentary “They Shall Not Grow Old”. It is very well done. They have gone through with AI and fixed the odd timing and unstable camera movements. It looks like smooth video you would shoot today. The only thing I really noticed is that the coloring of the film is slightly off. But is far batter than any other colorization of the old footage I’ve seen to date.

No, but if I can find it on my Roku service, I certainly will.  I repeat, the colorization of the Apocalypse series is phenomenal, but it’s a French-made doc, & after watching scores of other French historical docs, I don’t hesitate to say that, in general, they are superior to most British docs; the narration of course is English.

Have heard much ado about the new remake of All Quiet on the Western Front.  Hard to believe it could surpass the 1930 original, & I’d be amazed if it’s not stuffed to the gills with CGI fakery, gigantic firey explosions, etc.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
1873man: 5353
clarence: 4912
TXGunNut: 4099
Chuck: 3844
steve004: 3468
twobit: 2911
Maverick: 2058