Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
South Tx
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 105
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 2, 2019 - 8:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

20190802_152105.jpgImage EnlargerWinchester-1892-010.JPGImage EnlargerWinchester-1892-009.JPGImage Enlarger1100431.jpgImage Enlarger

I’m supposed to go look at this sorry for the crappy pics they’re the best I’ve recieved. It appears to be all original not messed with. I know its rough But it’s a 32-20 and I dont have one. 230000ish serial number that’s as close as I can get. Any ideas on price, I’ve overpaid a couple of times in the past.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
August 2, 2019 - 9:31 pm

Patrick said

I’ve overpaid a couple of times in the past.  

Only a couple?

South Tx
WACA Guest
August 2, 2019 - 9:47 pm

Sarcasm, but I’m trying to get better. Most of the time it’s right here right now sort of deal

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1382
August 2, 2019 - 11:22 pm

Patrick,

I see a partial serial number of 264. It appears all original, but I’m no 1892 expert. Given the condition, and buggered screws, I wouldn’t pay more than $1000 for it.

Al

NY
WACA Member
August 3, 2019 - 12:06 am

tionesta1 said
Patrick,

I see a partial serial number of 264. It appears all original, but I’m no 1892 expert. Given the condition, and buggered screws, I wouldn’t pay more than $1000 for it.

Al  

I’m no expert, either, but I think a grand, or even close to a grand, is WAY too much!  That thing is rough!  And nobody is paying a premium for .32s.

South Tx
WACA Guest
August 3, 2019 - 12:13 am

I know the 32s are low man on the totem pole. But for some reason I never stumble upon them locally.

And about a year ago I decided I wanted a 94 in a 32 ws. Same reason, I dont have one. Havent seen one since.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
August 3, 2019 - 1:42 am

Would suggest you keep looking and not settle for just anything.  Im not that picky about some things but if I were to lay money down for that gun it wouldnt be more than the sum of its parts.  At best $650, maybe a little more if its got a pristine bore.  There are far cleaner guns you can find out there in the same caliber with good wood in the $1000-1300 range.  Look for something thats not pitted, has decent blue, not abused, and clean wood.  Keep in mind too, a big part of any value added to these small caliber guns is the quality of the bore.  The 32-20 is a fun cartridge to shoot and can kill most critters here in TX provided your a good shot.

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
August 3, 2019 - 1:34 pm

Sorry, but I would not even consider buying that rifle in that condition for that price Patrick. Guns in that condition are soft and will NOT get better I’m afraid. Just MO. Peter 

NY
WACA Member
August 3, 2019 - 3:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Eagle said
Guns in that condition are soft and will NOT get better I’m afraid.

Best thing to do with beaters of this sort, if you can afford it, & if it can be bought for a fair price, is send it to one of the top-quality restorers such as Doug Turnbull.  (There are actually several others doing work of the same quality, but they don’t advertise & you have to hunt them down.)  Although, personally, I’d never buy a restoration, there is definitely a good market for them among folks who feel otherwise, & I think work of Turnbull’s quality will increase in value in the future; if fact, there are those even now collecting his work, especially if they can buy one of his restorations without having to wait the usual 2 or 3 yrs to have it down.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
August 3, 2019 - 4:06 pm

Respectfully, I totally disagree with that…

South Tx
WACA Guest
August 3, 2019 - 5:09 pm

Well the restored market will grow. It has already started going strong in Europe 4 ever. This however is a tangent.

What turns me off about this 8s the condition of the wood and how dried and decrepit it looks. 

NE OREGON
WACA Member
August 3, 2019 - 5:39 pm

Then why buy it?? You will always look at it in that respect, and it will just get worse with time…

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
August 3, 2019 - 6:29 pm

Restorations are dead money.  Folks who pay for a restoration will never get their money back.  Might as well save your money and spend a little more and get the real deal.

NY
WACA Member
August 3, 2019 - 6:33 pm

Eagle said
Then why buy it?? You will always look at it in that respect, and it will just get worse with time…  

The same reason that motivates some people to buy a heap of rusty junk that was once a car or MC and then at great cost restore it; the guys on American Pickers do it all the time, & they usually have the additional major problem of trying to find missing parts.

To the folks (and there must be quite a few of them, considering the wait-time for such work) who are sending Turnbull & others these kinds of restoration projects, it obviously does not get worse with time.  I don’t care for old guns made to look new, but Turnbull wouldn’t have built up such a big business if everyone felt that way.  (I remember seeing Doug at the Syracuse gunshow with 1 or 2 tables to show off the work he’d done; that was 30 or more years ago, & NOW the work comes to him!)

Turning such a beat-up specimen into a restoration project isn’t the best of all possible outcomes for this particular gun, but don’t you think it’s preferable to seeing it broken up for parts?    

NY
WACA Member
August 3, 2019 - 6:40 pm

mrcvs said
Restorations are dead money.  Folks who pay for a restoration will never get their money back. 

True–but plenty of folks do it anyway.  (Because, I guess, getting their money back is not their first priority.)  And though they can’t recover their investment right away, they wind up with something that can be resold much more easily than a beater.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
August 3, 2019 - 8:42 pm

mrcvs said
Restorations are dead money.  Folks who pay for a restoration will never get their money back.  Might as well save your money and spend a little more and get the real deal.  

I agree with that.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
August 3, 2019 - 8:58 pm

As pointed out above; poor condition, buggered screws, soft market and likely a sewer pipe bore this gun has very little going for it. I’m not sure it would make good trading material once you DO find a decent 1892. Keep your Pesos in your pocket and keep looking. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
August 3, 2019 - 9:35 pm

Whether you care about getting your money back or not, buy an original in better shape.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
August 3, 2019 - 9:47 pm

Here’s a .32/20 that very recently sold on gunbroker for $1052.  A heck of a lot better condition and it has a special order feature as a bonus:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820973927

Here’s a .32/20 that is nicer yet.  There is the added bonus of the takedown feature.  This one is still in active auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/822755680

South Tx
WACA Guest
August 5, 2019 - 4:46 pm

I didnt buy it and I didnt even go look at it. I’ve never bought a gun over the internet before. Just seems unnatural, and foreign to me. But I guess that’s something I’m gonna have to overcome. I’m at a show almost 2 weekends a month, if its within driving distance (2 or 3 hours) I make it. Yall would not believe the junk I see people asking 800$+ for. I mean junk, refinished wood, cut barrels, pitted receivers and mismatched parts on common 94’s. So if something 40 or 50% shows up these folks get crazy, and then they lose control on 92’s and 95’s. It’s pretty slim Pickens down here, thanks for the perspective.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Jeremy P, MNwin
Guest(s) 143
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160