Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 11, 2019 - 10:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

steve004 said
Here’s a .32/20 that very recently sold on gunbroker for $1052.  A heck of a lot better condition and it has a special order feature as a bonus:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820973927

Here’s a .32/20 that is nicer yet.  There is the added bonus of the takedown feature.  This one is still in active auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/822755680  

The take down example linked above sold in April out of Pook & Pook auction for $1586.  So the seller in Iowa lost money on this flip.

Screenshot-2019-08-11-06.28.53.pngImage Enlarger

The original rifle in this thread is at best a $500 to maybe $600 gun in my opinion.  If the bore is good then you can shoot the daylights out of it.  Lay it on the ground or up against barb wire and really don’t have to worry about it and have a great time hunting or at the range.  Some day down the road if/when you sell it you may or may not get all of your money out of it but is that really something to worry about?  You have had a good time and the rifle functioned as needed.  As opposed to a high condition or restored rifle that you will be in a panic every time the smallest bump may happen. 

As the past 3 to 4 years has taught many of us Winchesters are not the golden child of investment opportunities for a large portion of the rifles out there.  

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

eastbank
WACA Guest
August 11, 2019 - 10:52 am

I only have a few realy nice Winchester lever action rifles, not to be used only looked at. the rest are hunted and shot,  I have a few friends who have major collections of top shelf rifles and you have to wear white cotton gloves to handle them and I don,t think many of them have been hunted-shot in decades. I have taken a few of my shooters over and let them shoot them.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
August 11, 2019 - 1:01 pm

twobit said

The take down example linked above sold in April out of Pook & Pook auction for $1586.  So the seller in Iowa lost money on this flip.

Screenshot-2019-08-11-06.28.53.pngImage Enlarger

The original rifle in this thread is at best a $500 to maybe $600 gun in my opinion.  If the bore is good then you can shoot the daylights out of it.  Lay it on the ground or up against barb wire and really don’t have to worry about it and have a great time hunting or at the range.  Some day down the road if/when you sell it you may or may not get all of your money out of it but is that really something to worry about?  You have had a good time and the rifle functioned as needed.  As opposed to a high condition or restored rifle that you will be in a panic every time the smallest bump may happen. 

As the past 3 to 4 years has taught many of us Winchesters are not the golden child of investment opportunities for a large portion of the rifles out there.  

Michael  

Michael – you sure keep track of these rifles.  I’m always impressed with that you come up with.  I agree with your points.  I think a lot of sellers price their items by what rifles used to bring vs. embracing the reality of the current market.  The current market is depressing, particularly for the vanilla type pieces.  These are pieces that don’t interest guys who have been collecting for decades.  They are what had traditionally been entry level rifles.  Too bad entry level collectors are what have become scarce.  Realistically, I think that will only progress.  We certainly see it in other markets such as antique furniture.  As a trend, young people want the newest and latest electronics, not things made with old wood. 

Back to the takedown ’92 referenced above.  I found it interesting that the auction estimate was $500 to $800.  So, perhaps the auctioneer was in tune with what I’m talking about.  It sold for nearly double the high estimate – and I really don’t understand what the buyer was thinking.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6364
August 11, 2019 - 3:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

steve004 said

Back to the takedown ’92 referenced above.  I found it interesting that the auction estimate was $500 to $800.  So, perhaps the auctioneer was in tune with what I’m talking about.  It sold for nearly double the high estimate – and I really don’t understand what the buyer was thinking.  

He was probably thinking that if other bidders (or even one) kept raising their bids, it proved the gun “had” to be worth way more than the auction estimate–which is classic auction psychology, & the fond hope of all auctioneers.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1873man, Mark Douglas, Tom D, TXGunNut
Guest(s) 158
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6363
TXGunNut: 5032
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250