Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1892 Short Rifle - What to look for to authenticate
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 16
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 28, 2013 - 5:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello. New member here with my first post. I’ve had a few Winchesters over the years, mostly new or almost new (new 9422 when they first came out – my first gun purchase way before my first driver’s license), and a couple of 94 commemorative octagon barreled rifles. The last few years I’ve picked up more old Ruger revolvers and custom Ruger revolvers, so I guess I’ve dabbled in the world of collecting. All this to say that I’m an extreme novice to the world of Winchesters.

Ever since the late ’60’s, when I went with my parents to a dinner and the host handed me a well worn 1886 lever action to examine and hold to keep me occupied while the grownups talked, I’ve been enamored of old Winchesters and lever actions in general. The short rifles have been the ones I’ve been drawn to. Have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, but still would like to someday own a Winchester short rifle. The sub 16" guns hold the most fascination, but they are few and far between and priced accordingly.

This week I stumbled on to what appears to be a 16" octagon barreled 1892 short rifle in 44 WCF. Serial number was in the 54,xxx range. I did a little research and talked with the nice lady at the Cody Museum and, short of joining the museum to take advantage of the 24 hour information service, it seems that a non-member letter would take about 4 weeks to receive. I’d like to be able to make an informed offer on the rifle, but I really don’t want to add the extra couple of hundred dollars that it would take to get quick info on the gun, especially if the letter didn’t state the original barrel length. I don’t mind paying the $70 for the non-member letter if I could just get them to also give me the barrel length info in the 24 hour period. I asked, but that wasn’t an option.

So, I turn to you who have the knowledge and experience to help out. What are the key tattletales to indicate a shortened barrel on a more standard gun? This gun is in fairly rough shape on the outside, with little original finish and well worn wood furniture. I haven’t held it or looked down the bore, so that is still an unknown. I realize the value difference between an original short rifle and a cut-off rifle would be significant. If this were not a short rifle, I doubt it would bring more than 7 or 8 hundred dollars, based on ones I’ve handled at one of the Houston gunshops that usually has a few out on the rack.

Also, any idea how many 1892’s in 16" were made?

Anyone have any helpful hints? Wish I was still in the Houston area, I’d look up some of the members here that live in that area, but I’ve escaped north, away from the traffic!

Thanks for any help!
Tim

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 28, 2013 - 10:03 pm

Tim,

What is the complete serial number?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
August 29, 2013 - 3:02 am

Bert,
If I wrote it down correctly, it is 54360.
Thanks,
Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
August 29, 2013 - 4:14 am

Tim,

Welcome to the forum. If you were still in Houston you could come by my house and ask me in person! The traffic isn’t bad. I just have always lived close to my office.

Your rifle is not an original short barrel rifle. On a 16 inch gun the fore end wood should be 8 inches long instead of just over 9 inches. Any chance you can get some photos of the rifle and post them? Has the rifle been refinished? What is the distance from the muzzle to the front sight dovetail?

If you are looking for 1892’s I will be glad to answer any questions before you pull out the check book I have been working on a survey of this Model line and have cataloged over 5000 of the rifles so I have a pretty good idea of what should be correct for any given serial number range and configuration combination.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 378
August 29, 2013 - 5:35 am

Michael
I was just wondering how you determined that this rifle was not original? He supplied no actual info or photos of the rifle and he is not even sure he has the correct serial number.
I am not all that familiar with the 92’s so, do they have 3 different size forearms like the 94’s or just 2?

Paul

WACA Member
August 29, 2013 - 5:36 am

Thanks Michael. I lived in Tomball and worked in a couple of different locations, all of which started off less than an hour away but ended up much more over time. Progress.

Appreciate the information. If I get back by the store I’ll try to get more info but good to know it is a cut down gun.
Thanks,
Tim

WACA Member
August 30, 2013 - 4:35 am

94 Shorties wrote:

I was just wondering how you determined that this rifle was not original? He supplied no actual info or photos of the rifle and he is not even sure he has the correct serial number.
I am not all that familiar with the 92’s so, do they have 3 different size forearms like the 94’s or just 2?

I had actually included, at some earlier date, the ‘given’ serial number rifle in my survey as a standard sporting rifle. With over 5100 rifles in the effort it is becoming a little more common to see rifles a second and sometimes third time. A few have ended up as receiver parts and some, like this SN have been altered.

Model 92’s only have two fore end variations.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Guest
August 30, 2013 - 6:15 am

Michael
Thanks for the reply about the forearms on the 1892. I did find this on Leroy Merz’s site so, just a little confused.

http://merzantiques.com/item/winchester-model-92-scarce-16-short-rifle

Back to the rifle in question. He stated that "if I wrote it down correctly, the s/n is 54360". You have the info on this s/n but, it may not be the actual s/n of that rifle.

Paul

WACA Member
August 30, 2013 - 6:47 am

Paul,

I agree that 54360 was not an original 16" gun. And if the rifle in question actually has a different SN them it may be original.

As to Leroy’s comments on his site I can’t speak to it’s validity.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Guest
August 30, 2013 - 1:39 pm

This is that short rifle. He also said that the s/n is 54360X. It is listed as a 1910 gun.

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/oldguy67/media/1894%20others/1892%20data/2_zps3600928f.jpg.html

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Paul

WACA Member
August 30, 2013 - 2:15 pm

Paul,

What a difference one little digit makes!! The 540,000 series SN is definitely a 1910 vintage gun. Are there any other photos in the listing? Can you please post the link? Why in the world is the gun photographed with totally irrelevant ammunition?

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Guest
August 30, 2013 - 2:43 pm

Michael
I sent a PM

WACA Member
August 30, 2013 - 4:27 pm

Twobits,

The serial number is 54360. Only five digits. Listed as a 1910 but obviously older. Had it been a six digit SN, the digging for more info on that SN would be on, but now it appears that it must be a barrel swap.

Does the forearm length look correct for a regular barreled rifle rather than a short rifle? What would the normal lengths be?

Tim

WACA Member
August 30, 2013 - 4:29 pm

No idea why the owner had a photo with all the unrelated stuff in it. Slow day at the store?
Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1585
August 31, 2013 - 6:39 pm

Both guns have the magazine retaining band in the wrong location.

Maverick

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
September 1, 2013 - 4:42 am

So where should the mag retaining bands be?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1585
September 1, 2013 - 5:36 pm

I’m sorry I need to retract that previous statement. As I had short barreled carbines in mind when I was looking at the guns. The carbines will generally have the retaining band the same distance from the end of the barrel as the standard length production guns. On page 123 of The Winchester Handbook, george explains the locations on short rifles maybe different than standard.

As I do not have a short rifle in my collection, I can not say what the measurements are. Although I am almost certain this topic has been discussed in the past on the forum. You may do a search and find it. If not I’m sure someone on the forum has a short barreled rifle that will letter that can be measured.

Sincerely,
Maverick

WACA Guest
September 3, 2013 - 6:41 pm
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 39
September 4, 2013 - 3:50 am

When giving forearm length, are you measuring just the exposed wood?
Thanks in advance.
Gobbler

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 91
September 4, 2013 - 5:03 am

Yes, I believe that is correct. RRM

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)