Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1876 winchester generations
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 564
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 13, 2023 - 7:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The pix of the areas under the dust cover and rail are most interesting.  A letter showing the date into the warehouse AND out of the warehouse will be most intriguing I am sure.  I would guess the time out is around the Oct 1878 time frame and about bet there will be no mention of a “lid”, but hope so.  I would guess without further information that Winchester did the milling operations to attach the rail and dust cover.  Nice rifle.  The ones I have I have for a reason or reasons, but among them are their letters and what info can be inferred.  Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 43
February 13, 2023 - 8:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Into warehouse on Feb 14, 1878

Shipped from warehouse May 8, 1878

20230213_144543-1.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
February 13, 2023 - 9:07 pm

Yearout says on pg 145 … that the Winchester Catalog dated May 1, 1878 listed “Mortise cover slide, Model 1876- price $1.00”

I would suspect they were doing this modification prior to listing the lid as an option or as a part. 

SN 1855 was shipped May 8, 1878… after the part was listed as an “Extra” on May 1st.

It is conceivable that my Carbine left Winchester with this lid modification. The general condition of the top of the frame on my gun further supports this.

-Mike

20230213_145701.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
February 13, 2023 - 9:36 pm

Also… as I said in post 11…

To further add to the mystery…Madis (1985 edition) in the section on 1876’s says on page 215 that dust covers could be factory ordered after SN 1600. On page 220 Madis pictures a Carbine that he says shipped on May 8, 1878 (same date as my #1855) … WITH the dust cover attached.

These observations and/or details in the Madis study of the Model 1876 would also support the possibility of my Carbine – SN 1855 … being shipped with the lid modification done by Winchester.  

Most unfortunate that the records for SN 1855 are void of any mention of a dust cover or lid… but as has been discussed… ommisions and errors have been found in the records. Could this be such a case?

-Mike

Central Kansas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 194
February 14, 2023 - 1:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

TR said
 Darrin,

I have found these three books very helpful in my attempt to understand the 1876 Model.

The Winchester model 1876 Centennial Rifle by Herbert Houze

T/R

T/R,

I located this book so far, however it is priced at $180 w/out a dust cover. I’m thinking for that price I may be satisfied asking this forum for answers to any questions I might have about the “centennial”.

Darrin

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
February 14, 2023 - 2:31 am

Darrin Smith said

TR said

Darrin,

I have found these three books very helpful in my attempt to understand the 1876 Model.

The Winchester model 1876 Centennial Rifle by Herbert Houze

T/R

T/R,

I located this book so far, however it is priced at $180 w/out a dust cover. I’m thinking for that price I may be satisfied asking this forum for answers to any questions I might have about the “centennial”.

Darrin

I understand, but what does it cost to by a ringer. The information in the books gives you a complete and total picture of the subject. Knowledge comes from a good well researched book. All my books are well worn because I forget. T/R

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
February 14, 2023 - 2:50 am

Books may seem expensive until they help you avoid a mistake or identify a sleeper, Darrin. They also tend to answer questions I don’t know enough to ask. Several of my books have earned their keep by helping me make good decisions, the rest are great entertainment. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
February 14, 2023 - 1:06 pm

I lost track that the rifle in question had already had its critical dates provided.  Too far between I guess.  There is no doubt in my mind it IS originally a first model open top that was subsequently fitted with a lid.  NOW WHO and WHEN is the curiosity question.  I don’t do well with downloading photos and manipulating them like some but what I  see looks like either factory milling or milling by a professional of some sort.  For now, guess that will have to do.  In my estimation it is an interesting rifle for sure.  Tim

WACA Member
February 14, 2023 - 3:05 pm

On page 100 in the Herbert Houze book on the Model 1876 (referenced by T/R):

“The first major change to be made in the Model 1876’s general design took place in early 1878 when it was decided that the arm should be equipped with a mortise cover.”

On page 102 in Houze:

” …. work began on retrofitting existing machinery to accept tools and fixtures associated with the new mortise cover on May 3, 1878. Entries in the ledger also indicate that covers were initially supplied on an as-needed or as- ordered basis by outside contractors until production began within the factory.”

The timing of all of this “pre-production lid work” relative to my May 8, 1878 shipped Carbine (#1855), which also happens to have been fitted with a dust cover at one point in it’s very early life, could be indicative of it being part of a “beta test” group of early guns that were retrofitted ahead of full production. Mfg processes and product design – for full scale production is usually refined during this stage of development.

The “grey” lid on my gun could also be the result of pre-production process and finish issues. BTW. This lid is a very robust piece of machined metal … the long narrow milled slot is most impressive. 

-Mike

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 233
February 14, 2023 - 5:01 pm

Thought you experts might want to see under rail on old 3267P1030285-1.JPGImage EnlargerP1030286-1.JPGImage EnlargerP1030287-1.JPGImage EnlargerP1030288-1.JPGImage EnlargerP1030289-1.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Member
February 14, 2023 - 6:55 pm

86Win –

It looks like your modifications to the frame of your ’76 are about the same as on mine. Are you able to post a photo of your lid or dust cover?

-Mike

WACA Member
February 14, 2023 - 10:50 pm

P1030290.JPGImage EnlargerP1030291.JPGImage EnlargerHere are pictures of the dust cover, mortise cover, dust lid ,etc.

Central Kansas
WACA Member
February 15, 2023 - 1:24 am

For comparison.

1876-Letter.jpgImage Enlarger

Darrin

WACA Member
February 15, 2023 - 1:27 am

Is 3267 blued in the screw holes or the cut for the “lid” stop?  Or are they bright?  Or are they too patinated to tell?  Looks to me the latter may be the case but as I’ve said before I can’t manipulate photos to really tell.  Mike’s seem to be bright metal in each location as if the milling was after the rifle was finished.  Just my guessing at this point, much like everyone else.  I am ASSUMING those rifles planned to be fitted for a “lid” would have had the milling and drilling done prior to bluing.  Tim

WACA Member
February 15, 2023 - 2:38 am

Old 3267 is so patinated that I really can’t tell. In fact this old girl almost looks like cast iron turned brown (obviously isn’t). Sorry I can’t be more helpful! Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
February 16, 2023 - 12:45 am

long spur hollow said
One more picture of the top of frame with an LED light used for better blue and patina Mike, observation. I like what I see under the guide rail.

– Mike

20230213_091154-1.jpgImage Enlarger

Mike,

I also like what I see under the rail. I think it’s Winchester work, the fact that they didn’t record it in the records does not surprise me. This was a time period in the 1876 production the lid was or was not installed. The guns were standard with a lid or without. So why record it. T/R

WACA Member
February 28, 2023 - 2:59 pm

Yesterday I examined the 76 again and based on the color of the receiver and the brightness of the rail I think it was added later. As this rifle had the set trigger removed, possibly the rail was added at that time.

WACA Member
February 28, 2023 - 10:48 pm

86Win said
Yesterday I examined the 76 again and based on the color of the receiver and the brightness of the rail I think it was added later. As this rifle had the set trigger removed, possibly the rail was added at that time.

Even though my ’76 frame/receiver has more condition than yours … I feel the same about my rail. I am not certain if it is related to the type of steel used for the rail … or the blue used on it – but my rail certainly looks “pretty crisp” as well. I still feel that it has been there a long long time … perhaps since delivery from factory. 

Mike

Central Kansas
WACA Member
March 1, 2023 - 2:04 am

TXGunNut said
Books may seem expensive until they help you avoid a mistake or identify a sleeper, Darrin. They also tend to answer questions I don’t know enough to ask. Several of my books have earned their keep by helping me make good decisions, the rest are great entertainment. 

Mike

BTW Mike, I did order and receive Houze’s book and it does have the dust cover brand new and all intact. Thanks for urging me to order, no regrets.

Darrin

WACA Member
March 3, 2023 - 6:37 pm

Trying to determine if any open-top (no dust cover or rail ) 76 Winchesters was produced after my 1876 SN 3267. Any out there? Don

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: XLIV, Roundsworth, Rat Rod Mac, antler1, Byron Russell, SureShot
Guest(s) 145
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291
TR: 1710