Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 short rifle from Brazil
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 46
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 3, 2019 - 3:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

2899383F-BFDB-4ED0-A7BF-D932E4CB2226.jpegImage EnlargerI have an 1873 44-40 with a 20” barrel (lettered 1901) that apparently spent some time in Brazil (State of Carrie’) it has The name of the town and a nearby river engraved in the stock along with a symbol similar to a brand you would see in the states on a ranch. This rifle also at one time or a nickel finish most of which is now gone. The finish is not stated on the Cody letter so I don’t know if it was ordered that way or added later. I’m told that that was not uncommon in South America due to the wet environment in rain forest. I’m also told that these were referred to as “yellow tags” by the common people in these areas.  Wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with rifles from this region and or would have any more insight into the markings… Ranch rifle? American hunter? Mining company? 892449A8-B936-402B-805A-6C373F112846.jpegImage EnlargerUnfortunatelyDF067719-F033-4873-B9DB-4FED13E61182.jpegImage EnlargerUnfortunately like many of these neat old Winchesters its story has been lost to time and those who care not to pass down history .  It is very very well used however still shoots well.  Any insight is appreciated thank you! 

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
December 3, 2019 - 5:28 pm

What is the serial number? I’ll look it up in my research.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 4, 2019 - 12:09 am

I found it by the carvings in the stock.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
December 4, 2019 - 5:59 pm

Is the dust cover made of Brass?

Sincerely,

Maverick

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 4, 2019 - 8:14 pm

Maverick,

Yes it is but its home made from I see.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
December 4, 2019 - 9:05 pm

Bob sn is 558552.  What did you find from the carvings?  The dust cover is brass, I will post better pics of it.  It also has the cleaning storage in the butt plate

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 4, 2019 - 9:26 pm

I haven’t tried to search the carvings which about all we will find is what you find on Google. The real history has to come from original owner and since this went through a auction you can’t track it back. Were you the one that bought it at auction in 2017?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
WACA Guest
December 4, 2019 - 10:19 pm

Bob, I was not the purchaser,  a gentleman from Texas bought it and initially planned on restoring it. 
I realize the actual story is lost to time and now is only to be speculated, just curious why a rifle like this would have been down there what significance the markings may have. 

The place engraved on the stock is kind of in the middle of nowhere not much information out there about that part of Brazil.  I was able to locate a small local museum in that town and have contacted them and sent them pictures to see if they may know anything.  The spelling of the river/brackish lake on the stock is apparently the old spelling (17-1800’s) obviously locals would have continued to use the old spelling for sometime.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
December 4, 2019 - 11:11 pm

I’ve never seen a REPO dust cover made of brass before. At least you know that it is what it is.

Kind of neat.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 4, 2019 - 11:57 pm

[email protected] said
Bob, I was not the purchaser,  a gentleman from Texas bought it and initially planned on restoring it. 
I realize the actual story is lost to time and now is only to be speculated, just curious why a rifle like this would have been down there what significance the markings may have. 

The place engraved on the stock is kind of in the middle of nowhere not much information out there about that part of Brazil.  I was able to locate a small local museum in that town and have contacted them and sent them pictures to see if they may know anything.  The spelling of the river/brackish lake on the stock is apparently the old spelling (17-1800’s) obviously locals would have continued to use the old spelling for sometime.    

Short barreled rifles and carbines were used a lot in Mexico and South America since they were easier to carry. Just like the trapper rifles.

It sounds like you have a head start on the carvings. Even if you find out who owned it and did the carving, it would have to be someone famous or infamous to significantly help the value. If its just a local farmer or hunter it probably will have little impact on the value in this country but add to its wall hanger value.

Maverick said
I’ve never seen a REPO dust cover made of brass before. At least you know that it is what it is.

Kind of neat.

Sincerely,

Maverick  

Maverick,

In third world countries they used what ever they could get their hands on to fix things. I have a friend that spent many years in Madagascar. It was very interesting listening to his stories on how and what they had to do to get things done or fix something you couldn’t get parts for. He had a tractor that the needle valve in the carburetor broke and ended up making a new one from iron wood.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Tom D, freebird1968
Guest(s) 161
Currently Browsing this Page: