Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
"Browning Bros."-marked model 1886`s?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 42
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 29, 2013 - 11:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

In Henshaw`s book "The history of Winchester Firearms" there´s a mention about Browning brothers getting part of the payment for m.1886`s producing rights as complete rifles which were marked "Browning Bros. Ogden, Utah". No other reference book that I have has anything about the matter. Is this true story or some kind of misunderstanding? Haven´t seen any pictures of thus marked rifles either.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
August 29, 2013 - 11:14 am

It is actually a true piece of history.

Winchester bought the Patents from John. M. Browning and paid him a small percent in cash, then they paid him off in full by shipping completed ready to sell firearms. Those firearms after being received in Ogden Utah were then stamped "BROWNING BROS. OGDEN U.T." on the top of the barrel between the Winchester address stamp and the front of the rear sight. After Utah became a state in 1896, the stamp was changed to "BROWNING BROS. OGDEN U."

I have three Winchesters in my collection with the Browning Brothers marking on them.

Bert H.

p.s. Send me a PM with your email address, and I will send you a few pictures of the markings on my rifles.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
August 29, 2013 - 11:43 am

Thanks again, Bert! I wonder why Madis or Pirkle do not mention this subject at all..or have I been reading unaccurately? (Yes, I know there`s quite a many unaccuracies in those books…) I `ll send you a PM soon.

Kingston, WA
Admin
August 29, 2013 - 11:47 am

In defense of both George Madis and Art Pirkle, I believe that they both concentrated on how Winchester marked the various models versus what was done to them after the fact.

Bert

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
August 29, 2013 - 3:56 pm

Bert,

I have seen some 1894s stamped with the Ogden markings. Some even on the left hand side of the receiver. Would these be part of the same deal or other dealings?

Matt

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
August 29, 2013 - 7:19 pm

Leverfan said
Thanks again, Bert! I wonder why Madis or Pirkle do not mention this subject at all..or have I been reading unaccurately? (Yes, I know there`s quite a many unaccuracies in those books…) I `ll send you a PM soon.

Madis does talk about this and shows several examples of these stampings on page 594 of The Winchester Book. Not sure which edition I have, but it’s fairly new. Its in the Extras and Special order features. Bert was the first one that enlightened me on this when I bought an 1886 33 wcf that had this marking on it.

I have two rifles with Browning stamps:

Model 1885 s/n 4058 (1886 dom) marked Browning Bros. Ogden U.T.
Model 1886 s/n 150418 (1911 dom) marked Browning Bros. Ogden U.

My two examples seem to prove that this practice went on for most of the Browning relationship with Winchester. Is this a safe assumption?

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
August 29, 2013 - 7:49 pm

I do not know exactly how long it took Winchester to pay off Browning for his many patents, but it all started in late 1885 with the introduction of the Winchester Single Shot (Model 1885).

There are at least several thousand Winchesters out there with the Browning stamp on them (I know one collector that has amassed a collection exceeding (400) Browning marked guns). I saw several at the recent Cody WACA show, and I usually find a few at each of the Big Reno gun shows.

Bert

Kingston, WA
Admin
August 29, 2013 - 7:51 pm

Matt74 said
Bert,

I have seen some 1894s stamped with the Ogden markings. Some even on the left hand side of the receiver. Would these be part of the same deal or other dealings?

Matt

Matt,

I have never seen one that was marked anywhere except on the barrel. I have seen a lot of early production Model 1894s with the marking on the barrel though.

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
August 29, 2013 - 9:04 pm

Leverfan said
No other reference book that I have has anything about the matter. Is this true story or some kind of misunderstanding? Haven´t seen any pictures of thus marked rifles either.

Somewhere I remember reading in more detail that Winchester paid Browning for gun designs and patents for gun that where never produced, except for a few experimental guns. Some of these experimental guns where in the Winchester gun museum and then later housed at Cody. I believe not to long ago Cody even sold a few of these at auction. I will see if I can find the specific book I’m referring to.

You can see some of these guns mentioned in "Inventory of the Winchester Firearms Reference Collection" published by Lynham Sayce Company. The book has several notable authors, one of which is Edwin Pugsley.

I believe this book is also mentioned in the latest edition of the Collector, and that the association has some for sale at $50. Which is a fair price. I paid $65 for my copy a few years back. The book is a very interesting read.

Sincerely,
Maverick

WACA Guest
August 30, 2013 - 10:08 am

Actually, there is information about those stampings in The Winchester Book, on page 594 – I just haven´t noticed it earlier…thanks to all for responses, and Bert, thanks for the pics.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
August 31, 2013 - 6:34 pm

Matt74 said
Bert,

Matt

Matt,

I have never seen one that was marked anywhere except on the barrel. I have seen a lot of early production Model 1894s with the marking on the barrel though.

Bert

You’re right Bert, my bad memory. I went back and looked and the gun was indeed stamped on the left side of the receiver, but was stamped "FROM W.F. SHEARD / TACOMA, WASH." I suppose guns stamped as such were guns sold by Sheard? I think I have seen two 94s stamped that way.

Matt

Kingston, WA
Admin
August 31, 2013 - 9:43 pm

Matt,

I have seen a few dozen of the "W.F. Sheard, Tacoma Washington" marked Model 1894s, but keep in mind that I live less than 40-miles from Tacoma.

Bert

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
February 15, 2018 - 3:37 am

Old topic but I ran across this Model 1894 with the Browning Bros mark and Salt Lake, UT… Must have been later than Ogden.

Is the part true about not being blued?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747202342

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
February 15, 2018 - 3:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I enjoyed John M Browning, American Gunmaker by John Browning and Curt Gentry. The authors wrote extensively about Browning’s early life and business ventures with his brothers. Browning was a fascinating mixture of gunsmith, inventor, manufacturer and entrepreneur. To answer OP’s question in a nutshell the Browning brothers operated a sporting goods store after they quit manufacturing rifles. At least some of the guns they sold were stamped with the store’s name.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
February 15, 2018 - 5:34 am

Not only did they mark the guns they sold, but they also marked the guns that came in for repair.  I have seen several Colt Single Actions with the Browning Bros., marking and I know of at least one model 1866 Winchester octagon barreled rifle with the Browning markings on the barrel.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
February 16, 2018 - 4:13 am

nantahala11 said
Old topic but I ran across this Model 1894 with the Browning Bros mark and Salt Lake, UT… Must have been later than Ogden.

Is the part true about not being blued?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747202342  

I believe the Salt Lake version of the stamp is the most scarce. Too bad this gun is pretty rough and has zero finish left.

I’ve had three Browning marked guns in the past, an 1885, 1886, and one 1894. The first two that I mentioned in post #6 above have since been sold off, but I still have a pretty decent 1894 in 38-55 with the Ogden U stamp as shown in the picture attached. I really think its a desirable addition to any Winchester.

DSCF5058.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 11
March 3, 2019 - 3:35 am

I just picked up a 1892 in 25-20 that’s marked BROWNING BROS CO. OGDEN.U. Its serial number 432334. Its got a 24″ octagon barrel and full length magazine.

Unfortunatly it’s been reblued and refinished and has a big bolt through the pistol grip so not a collector but man it is sweet to carry and shoot. I have a Lyman 21 “D” marked sight I’ll have installed and just keep using it for what it was built for.

I’d appreciate any info or comments about this rifle.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
March 3, 2019 - 5:36 pm

Maverick said

Leverfan said
No other reference book that I have has anything about the matter. Is this true story or some kind of misunderstanding? Haven´t seen any pictures of thus marked rifles either.

Somewhere I remember reading in more detail that Winchester paid Browning for gun designs and patents for gun that where never produced, except for a few experimental guns. Some of these experimental guns where in the Winchester gun museum and then later housed at Cody. I believe not to long ago Cody even sold a few of these at auction. I will see if I can find the specific book I’m referring to.

You can see some of these guns mentioned in “Inventory of the Winchester Firearms Reference Collection” published by Lynham Sayce Company. The book has several notable authors, one of which is Edwin Pugsley.

I believe this book is also mentioned in the latest edition of the Collector, and that the association has some for sale at $50. Which is a fair price. I paid $65 for my copy a few years back. The book is a very interesting read.

Sincerely,
Maverick  

Or, you could pick up one on Ebay for $545:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INVENTORY-WINCHESTER-REPEATING-ARMS-COMPANY-FIREARMS-REFERENCE-COLLECTION-1-500-/132182255224

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
March 3, 2019 - 10:10 pm

steve004 said

Or, you could pick up one on Ebay for $545:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INVENTORY-WINCHESTER-REPEATING-ARMS-COMPANY-FIREARMS-REFERENCE-COLLECTION-1-500-/132182255224  

Yeah. That’s a NUTS price. Somebody money laundering or something.Confused

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
March 4, 2019 - 2:38 am

[email protected] said
I just picked up a 1892 in 25-20 that’s marked BROWNING BROS CO. OGDEN.U. Its serial number 432334. Its got a 24″ octagon barrel and full length magazine.

Unfortunatly it’s been reblued and refinished and has a big bolt through the pistol grip so not a collector but man it is sweet to carry and shoot. I have a Lyman 21 “D” marked sight I’ll have installed and just keep using it for what it was built for.

I’d appreciate any info or comments about this rifle.  

Pictures would help a lot.  Winchesters than have the Browning Bros mark mean they were sold by the Browning Bros.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: [email protected], Jeremy P, Ronc
Guest(s) 182
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6365
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250