Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester M1918 BAR
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 8, 2018 - 8:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I saw the curator of Cody highlighting a WRA BAR for the 150 anniversary of WRA, so I thought I would post some of information regarding the BAR.  I have 3 notebooks of paperwork and test reports from an ordnance sergeant assigned to the WRA plant in WW1 to inspect/train and test the manufacturing of the BAR’s  being built at WRA. Included are his personal notes as well as inspection test records of specific weapons, ammunition, etc. Not much to look at but interesting to ordnance collectors. Included were several copies of the Winchester Record (his is pictured in one) and a 1918 catalog, etc. The folders contain signatures of some of the best known ordnance officers etc., Tschappat, Smith, Johnson, Hatcher, etc. Here are a few examples of the items included.

DSC01412.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01413.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01415.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01416.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01418.JPGImage Enlarger 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 9, 2018 - 12:08 am

A few years back I had a chance to buy a 1918 Winchester BAR that was 100% correct and in very nice condition. Priced at $10,000. All I had was $8,000 so I settled on a WW2 M1 Thompson. Long story here, but the deal went sour and I bought another M1 Thompson identical to the $8,000 one for $4,500. I still wish I would have bought that BAR. They still had those when I went to 2nd ITR out of Boot Camp in the Marines. I got to fire several BARs there. Very fine weapon. Big Larry

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 33
August 9, 2018 - 9:37 pm

Thank you for the comments and story.  I enjoy your posts.  A friend of mine had/has a WRA bar that he said came out of the reference collection when they moved to Cody.  I believe he may have sold it last year or the year before in a private sale or via RIA auction (it was a class III weapon).  It was a sweat rifle.  I fired one or two of them when I was in initial training for the Army.  The museum supplied the weapons and history buffs suppled the ammunition and we fired all kinds of unique and interesting weapons. Regards,

GaryK
WACA Guest
August 16, 2018 - 1:44 am

I’ve recently acquired a m1918 WRA BAR that was part of the reference collection (tag is still on the buttstock).

Many/most of it’s internal parts are marked with “W” and in addition ”MA.” Nobody seems to know what the “MA” stands for but it’s a mystery I intend to solve. Did any of the inspectors have those initials, by chance?

No military marks or date on the barrel. Barrel has a small “M” on the top and under the foregrip it’s marked “W circled(VP) C.R.C.”

Thanks!

-Gary

Forum Posts: 2119
August 16, 2018 - 3:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

During that time period the Winchester Inspectors were assigned numbers, not letters.  The inspectors did not start using letters until later (circa 1938 for the rifles I am familiar with).

I have not seen a reference for “MA” that I can recall.  “MR” was a marking used to indicate “Approval Stamp for Inspection of Forming Tools in Soft State” but that was not used on the BAR.  I would assume that your “MA” is a similar inspection stamp to indicate an inspection (or test) of some type had been performed.

The “M” on top of the barrel indicates it was tested using the magnetic particle method, the VP indicates “Violent Proof” and the C.R.C. is likely the supplier of the steel.  I have a chart somewhere which lists the steel suppliers and the subsequent Winchester markings but don’t have access to it right now.  It is also possible that “MA” was also a steel supplier for the internal parts.  I will check the chart when I get a chance.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 16, 2018 - 3:24 pm

GaryK said
I’ve recently acquired a m1918 WRA BAR that was part of the reference collection (tag is still on the buttstock).

Many/most of it’s internal parts are marked with “W” and in addition ”MA.” Nobody seems to know what the “MA” stands for but it’s a mystery I intend to solve. Did any of the inspectors have those initials, by chance?

No military marks or date on the barrel. Barrel has a small “M” on the top and under the foregrip it’s marked “W circled(VP) C.R.C.”

Thanks!

-Gary  

I suggest you get hold of Mr. Bruce Canfield the author. He knows a lot about these things and may be able to help you further. Big Larry

GaryK
WACA Guest
August 17, 2018 - 12:41 am

I’ve contacted Mr. Canfield. I don’t think the markings relate to metal as the inside of the foregrip is also marked this way.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
August 17, 2018 - 2:50 am

I’m a member now!

@JWA: I’ll definitely look into the magnetic particle method. That would resolve why the “M” on the barrel was so small… so, it is a WRA barrel.

August 17, 2018 - 3:36 am

GaryK said
I’m a member now!

@JWA: I’ll definitely look into the magnetic particle method. That would resolve why the “M” on the barrel was so small… so, it is a WRA barrel.  

Yes, All the markings indicate it is a Winchester barrel.

Regards,

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
August 18, 2018 - 2:32 am

GaryK said
I’m a member now!

Welcome!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
August 20, 2018 - 4:06 am

GaryK said
I’m a member now!

Forgot to add, in the automotive machine business (back when cylinder heads were made from ferrous alloys) they used a process called magnaflux. Probably very similar.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
August 20, 2018 - 8:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

You are correct, it is the MP method.

Magnaflux is just a brand name of many different types of test products.  The technique commonly used on ferrous cylinder heads is the magnetic particle method, you just happened to use Magnaflux equipment to do it (or even some other brand of equipment).  Parker Research is also a very common brand of MP equipment.

Calling the process “Magnaflux” is a common misnomer.

Best Regards,

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
August 20, 2018 - 4:24 pm

I have a friend that has authored and co authored several books on military arms from WWI and WWII.  I usually see him on Saturdays at the gun shop.  I will try to remember to ask him if he knows anything about these marks.  I have one of Canfield’s books (Winchester In The Service) but the section on the BAR doesn’t go into detail about the markings.

WACA Guest
August 20, 2018 - 6:41 pm

Mr. Canfield said he did not know what the “MA” represents.

Here’s another example with the markings (the bolt): https://www.wwiibarman.com/collections/parts-set/products/unissued-m1918-upgraded-to-a2-winchester-sample-cabinet-bar

WACA Member
August 27, 2018 - 6:01 pm

My friend did not know what the MA is either.  He said he has no experience with the BAR’s.  Most likely an inspectors mark.

WACA Guest
August 27, 2018 - 11:35 pm

Thanks for asking him.

The only inspector marks I’ve seen are simply numbers.

My final two guesses are: (1) Marlin Arms, or (2) French Ministry of Armament.

WACA Member
August 28, 2018 - 3:42 pm

Marlin Rockwell was one of the manufacturers of the BAR.  Sometimes the manufacturer was supplied small parts from an outside sources.  So a Winchester BAR could have small parts from another supplier.  MA could be the supplier? 

WACA Guest
September 3, 2018 - 12:24 am

Chuck, maybe but I doubt they would have out-sourced receivers.

WACA Member
September 3, 2018 - 4:57 pm

I agree with you.  Small parts and accessories only.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
January 3, 2020 - 8:36 pm

Recent post about M1918 BAR

Attached is the website that show pictures of the firearm:

http://winchesterway.com/class-3/winchester-model-1918-86300.html

Does this appear to be the genuine article???

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306