Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Winchester M1918 BAR
January 4, 2020
10:40 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1176
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If you can legally own this gun I would suggest you arrange to go see it first.  White painted letters are not uncommon but not a factory item.  My first thought is that it looks refinished, but I may be wrong.  If you aren't knowledgeable about these arms you shouldn't be buying one.  

January 9, 2020
9:17 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4

I was on this site a few days ago inquiring about a Winchester BAR and also inquiring (now deleted) about a certain dealer called WinchesterWay.  At the time, I noticed there were a lot of negative things said about Winchester Way and their representative(s) on this forum.  Those negative postings almost made me walk away from purchasing anything, which would have been a huge mistake if had I done so.

I take issue with those individuals that were posting unfavorable and inappropriate comments about WinchesterWay.  I don't know every persons' motivations, and I suspect there were some bad actors trying to interfere with WinchesterWay's business (as can be the case for many online retailers), but I found that every one of the unfavorable postings did not apply to my experience with WinchesterWay.

I was dealing with an individual at WinchesterWay over the last month or so as part of buying a Winchester M1918 BAR.   As a beginner in firearms collecting, I found  them extremely helpful, considerate and a fantastic people to work with.  They were patient enough to allow me to temporarily hold my purchase so that I could do more research on the history of the firearm(s) I was interested in buying.  At one point, again as being new to the whole process, I was being 'impatient' and wavering on the purchases, and he took a significant chunk of his time explaining the firearms in detail and their background,  so that I was very comfortable buying those firearms, and even more so, buying them from WinchesterWay.

The individuals at WinchesterWay, including the owner, deserves 5 Stars out of 5, for their service.  I have every confidence in them and will always keep them as my first 'go to'  for purchasing collectible Winchester firearms. 

I will also be posting this comment at the top of this forum, and others if needed, as I feel there seems to be unfair and inappropriate remarks made about WinchesterWay, or any, retailer.

Thank You

January 10, 2020
2:32 am
WACA Member

If you buy the 1918 keep us informed.  I am not up to date on buying or owning this class of firearm.  I have no idea who Winchester Way is??

January 10, 2020
4:09 am
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 904

The BAR's are fantastic weapons.  In Marine infantry back in my day 1961-63, we had three of them to each squad, and the BAR men were often on the small side as stature goes.  Regrettably I do not recall much about the markings at all.  All of our BAR's had the parkerized finish, hard synthetic butt stock, carrying handle,and bi-pods.  We  switched from our M1 Garands and BAR's to the M14's in August of 1962.  The automatic rifleman's M14 had the select fire switch turned on.

January 10, 2020
5:16 pm
WACA Member

jwm94 said
The BAR's are fantastic weapons.  In Marine infantry back in my day 1961-63, we had three of them to each squad, and the BAR men were often on the small side as stature goes.  Regrettably I do not recall much about the markings at all.  All of our BAR's had the parkerized finish, hard synthetic butt stock, carrying handle,and bi-pods.  We  switched from our M1 Garands and BAR's to the M14's in August of 1962.  The automatic rifleman's M14 had the select fire switch turned on.  

I was in about 10 years after you.  By then we had M60's and M16's.  I have never even shot a M14. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 628

Currently Online: wally, twobit, clarence
51 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 16

Topics: 6846

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 930