Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 GB correct?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
RickC
WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 1:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The buttstock doesn’t appear original to me. Just looks newer on this one and the numbers look funny. Anyone else see this or just me ?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921197196

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 18, 2022 - 1:50 pm

RickC said
The buttstock doesn’t appear original to me. Just looks newer on this one and the numbers look funny. Anyone else see this or just me ?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921197196  

Ground hog day two. 2nd thread. 124 good pictures of a nice gun! The sights are nice up grades otherwise gun letters. Maybe we should let the buyers and seller decide the value. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 81
January 18, 2022 - 2:04 pm

that butt stock is not original. I can point out several incorrect issues with the in letting. one particular is the bend on the right side comes in too far and goes flush with edge.  the 1 and 3 are not correct, really close but messed up two fine details. the stamps on the tang and butt plate are original of course as those parts are original. Ive inspected my fair share of high condition 1886 guns and fancy sporting rifles especially, and  that wood is newer. see one thing wood does over 130 years when exposed to air and metal is oxidize and darken, that to this day i have not seen anyone be able to replicate no matter how good. grease,oil,heat,chemicals etc. try your best! aint gonna fool a person that has knowledge on antique wood.  before winchesters 25 years ago i studied and collected early antique furniture, traveled the states and canada, worked with waddingtons and did some work with the canadian antiques road show. the knowledge i gained in wood oxidization,patina, age and fakery is priceless to me today.  

Jeremy Scott.

WACA LIFE MEMBER, CFM MEMBER, ABKA MEMBER, JSSC MEMBER, MNO HISTORIAN 

RickC
WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 2:13 pm

TR said

Ground hog day two. 2nd thread. 124 good pictures of a nice gun! The sights are nice up grades otherwise gun letters. Maybe we should let the buyers and seller decide the value. T/R  

Thanks for pointing that out T/R ?. Is this your gun?

RickC
WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 2:16 pm

JEREMY S. said
that butt stock is not original. I can point out several incorrect issues with the in letting. one particular is the bend on the right side comes in too far and goes flush with edge.  the 1 and 3 are not correct, really close but messed up two fine details. the stamps on the tang and butt plate are original of course as those parts are original. Ive inspected my fair share of high condition 1886 guns and fancy sporting rifles especially, and  that wood is newer. see one thing wood does over 130 years when exposed to air and metal is oxidize and darken, that to this day i have not seen anyone be able to replicate no matter how good. grease,oil,heat,chemicals etc. try your best! aint gonna fool a person that has knowledge on antique wood.  before winchesters 25 years ago i studied and collected early antique furniture, traveled the states and canada, worked with waddingtons and did some work with the canadian antiques road show. the knowledge i gained in wood oxidization,patina, age and fakery is priceless to me today.    

Thank you Jeremy S. I thought the numbers looked off to me & your antique experience & wood knowledge is a valuable asset.

RickC

WACA Member
January 18, 2022 - 3:45 pm

No it is not my gun, In have never seen it other than the 124 pictures. I know Austin only good enough to say hi to him at a gun show.

Almost all guns have been helped, as to this gun I have not held it in I my hand so I refuse to offer an opinion.

If you can find old auction pictures or have inside knowledge, then say so. But if you are entertaining yourself by picking on nice guns then start posting 124 pictures of your guns and see how much fun it is. Once the pictures have been posted the gun is locked in history as seen. These guns are over 100 years old and have been repaired, I’m not saying this one has because I have not seen it. The totally original gun is rare, rare, and will bring huge money at auction. T/R

RickC
WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 4:10 pm

This is a forum to discuss Winchesters. I don’t care if you’re friends with this seller & that seller etc. I’m not “entertaining myself by picking on nice guns” or by worrying if I somehow offend you.
I asked a simple question about a gun that I possibly saw an issue & originality was in question. And maybe some unsuspecting forum member or guest might be ready to throw down a huge sum of money for a gun that’s not what they’re paying for. No apologies on my part for that.
It really seems you have a stake in some of these guns with your comments.

RickC

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
January 18, 2022 - 4:13 pm

I see no issues whatsoever with this rifle.  As TR pointed out, the sights are not original but nice upgrades.  If I had the money, I’d be a bidder.  

Don

RickC
WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 4:26 pm

Fair enough Don. As the thread stated just wondering if it was correct ? Others might see something different.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
January 18, 2022 - 5:04 pm

The butt stock and forearm seem to match up pretty well as far as color, wood grain, and wear go. At least to me who’s by no means as experienced as a lot of you guys are.

WACA Member
January 18, 2022 - 5:16 pm

No, I have no stake in these guns. I’m a collector who knows and enjoys talking to other collectors in person.

If you want to see guns like this not be offered for sale on the net, just keep it up. T/R

RickC
WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 5:37 pm

I could care less about guns like this offered for sale on the internet, especially the ones that are questionable or blatantly questionable.
And I as well enjoy talking to collectors in person. A lot of banter over asking if a gun is correct.

RickC

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 81
January 18, 2022 - 6:31 pm

as you can see by my join date and number of posts I’m not to big with forums and a in person guy, specifically for this reason here. Rick asked a question and  I stated what I seen and stated the points and facts why .  would you care to please expand on your ” it’s right” and point out why with facts? also care to expand on  your comment ” keep it up ”  was this directed at myself ? if so keep what up? speaking the truth and my knowledge ? thank you.

Jeremy Scott.

WACA LIFE MEMBER, CFM MEMBER, ABKA MEMBER, JSSC MEMBER, MNO HISTORIAN 

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
January 18, 2022 - 6:51 pm

It’s my opinion that this rifle has been a “closet queen” for the majority of its life and not exposed to the elements.  Not much furniture fits in a closet…Like I said, just MY opinion.  Keep driving the price down and I might just be able to afford it.

Don

RickC
WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 10:41 pm

From the bidding you’re not the only one who thinks that Don. If it’s legit it’s a beautiful gun any collector would prise. I’m just very cautious when it comes to spending for the bigger money guns. Has to be 100% right in all aspects for me.

RickC

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1096
January 19, 2022 - 1:12 am

Jeez , the man says 100% correct and offers a 3 day inspection to verify, and He is obviously well known. I don’t think this piece would scare Me. Hell We used to buy ’em over the phone, back when there was some honor among collectors and everything wasn’t suspect. I like many here have owned and or inspected many Guns over the years and I still have an issue with making an assessment based on pictures, I still need an in hand inspection. I’ve posted afew guns here and have had them ripped apart by the “professionals” mainly because My photography skills are not great. Some of these proved to be correct but the negative comments did cost. I also had some that needed ripped apart. Just sayin’

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
January 19, 2022 - 2:58 am

deerhunter said
It’s my opinion that this rifle has been a “closet queen” for the majority of its life and not exposed to the elements.  Not much furniture fits in a closet…Like I said, just MY opinion.  Keep driving the price down and I might just be able to afford it.

Don  

Agreed, it’s a great gun, and I’d be proud to own it. Let’s split this one Don…………your turn. Wink

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

RickC
WACA Guest
January 19, 2022 - 3:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I sincerely hope someone here is the lucky bidder.

RickC

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 201
January 19, 2022 - 12:56 pm

RickC said

Thanks for pointing that out T/R ?. Is this your gun?  

My thought exactly. It saddens me greatly to witness this forum (and thus hobby) degraded by members with ulterior motives – from admitting to shill bidding, to refusing to call-out fraudulent sellers. It’s no wonder younger collectors will be lost. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 201
January 19, 2022 - 1:21 pm

…….not to suggest anything about Austin. I’ve purchased numerous Colt SAA’s from him and have always been greatly satisfied. 

Rick and Jeremy had valid questions, which were completely whitewashed….

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., jolly bill, wally, Tedk, Lawrence Clarey, Gary Ryan, TG, Mike MV
Guest(s) 16
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2344
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726