Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 GB correct?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 19, 2022 - 3:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

foxfire said

My thought exactly. It saddens me greatly to witness this forum (and thus hobby) degraded by members with ulterior motives – from admitting to shill bidding, to refusing to call-out fraudulent sellers. It’s no wonder younger collectors will be lost.   

foxfire said
…….not to suggest anything about Austin. I’ve purchased numerous Colt SAA’s from him and have always been greatly satisfied. 

Rick and Jeremy had valid questions, which were completely whitewashed….  

foxfire,

Your statement on the first post “It saddens me greatly to witness this forum (and thus hobby) degraded by members with ulterior motives”. I’m assuming you mean me. I made it quite clear in previous posts that I do not own Austins gun, I have not seen the the gun other than the 124 pictures, and I know him only good enough to say hi in passing at a gun show. I do not have any ulterior motives!

Your statement on the first post ” from admitting to shill bidding”. I do not shill bid or get involved in any scheme to inflate the auction price!

Your statement “refusing to call-out fraudulent sellers” It is my opinion that a fraudulent seller is one that does not own the gun he is selling, does not give  your money back if not satisfied, or intentionally misrepresents the gun. Any seller who posts 124 good pictures of the complete gun and gives a inspection period probably is not a fraudulent seller!

Your statement on the second post “Rick and Jeremy had valid questions, which were completely whitewashed” I agree with the valid question part but not the whitewash. They posted the questions and were considered.

My experience has been mostly large gun shows and there it is customary to leave buyer and seller alone when the deal is going on. This forum of course is different and should be. Maybe the level of proof should be higher when the bidding is going on. You can cost the seller a lot of money and give the smart buyer a deal. That said, if you are a real buyer then get help and it can be the Forum in the form of questions. T/R

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 201
January 19, 2022 - 4:30 pm

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks”. Queen Gertrude. 

RickC
WACA Guest
January 19, 2022 - 4:35 pm

You can cost a buyer a lot of money also with misrepresented guns or undisclosed issues & it would appear a common occurrence as you’ve stated “almost all guns have been helped”. I guess it depends on too what degree they’ve been helped & I understand foxfire’s comment. I personally stand with potential buyers & fellow collectors than I do a seller.
If any gun listed is legit, then the seller has no worries & probably doesn’t care what conversations are discussed here on this one forum. I don’t know the seller & haven’t seen or heard any negative reviews about him.
Just better to ask questions here as I thought was common practice before or during the sale, than after the hammer when it’s too late.

RickC

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
January 19, 2022 - 4:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

pdog72 said

Agreed, it’s a great gun, and I’d be proud to own it. Let’s split this one Don…………your turn. Wink  

Hey Gary, you’re being outbid.  You need to kick in another asap!

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
January 19, 2022 - 5:39 pm

TR, I think foxfire was referring to me “admitting to shill bidding” but I believe I clearly stated it was a club auction and at these auctions many items are donated and the proceeds benefit the club. Sometimes the bidding gets pretty silly but if it gets a slow start I’m not opposed to getting things going or moving things along. Sometimes the item is then re-donated and auctioned off again. And unlike a true “shill bidder” I sometimes “win” the auction and take the item home. I also probably should mention the bar opens a few hours before bidding starts. 

I am concerned that a prospective buyer may be influenced by our discussion of an auction item and may hesitate to buy something that they would otherwise have been very happy to own. I like the gun. I do feel it has been cleaned up and possibly a coat of light oil applied but to me that helps bring out the beauty of the wood grain and insures any surface issues are visible. I don’t have a dog in this fight as this model is generally outside the scope of my collecting interests.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
January 19, 2022 - 6:22 pm

I’m really sick of these “let’s pick this gun apart” posts.  It’s one thing to post comments to help out when a person asks a question especially if there are glaring issues but ….If you have not actually picked this gun up and examined it it is best to keep your mouth shut.  I don’t see any problems with the pictures but I do not buy guns that I have not actually picked up.  Not all that post here are as smart as they think they are.  None of us know everything, including me.  The inference in the way a person posts says a lot about that person.

RickC
WACA Guest
January 19, 2022 - 11:30 pm

Keep your mouths shut? Wow

Inquiring about a guns originality has no place here. Admin, after contributing almost 1600 post, please terminate my WACA membership.

Thank you
RickC

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
January 20, 2022 - 1:02 am

Chuck said
I’m really sick of these “let’s pick this gun apart” posts.  It’s one thing to post comments to help out when a person asks a question especially if there are glaring issues but ….If you have not actually picked this gun up and examined it it is best to keep your mouth shut.  I don’t see any problems with the pictures but I do not buy guns that I have not actually picked up.  Not all that post here are as smart as they think they are.  None of us know everything, including me.  The inference in the way a person posts says a lot about that person.  

The “let’s pick this gun apart” posts are how we learn, for better or worse, and definitely serve a purpose.

Initially, I thought the finish on the wood might have been enhanced, as it looked particularly shiny.  But then I took the time to look at many of the photographs and see in photograph 44 of 124 that the finish of the forearm where one carries it is worn down to  bare and dull wood, strongly suggesting the remaining finish is glossy as original and the finish is that typical of extra fancy walnut.

I think this is an all original example, but this exercise is a good one as some might not know one way or the other and enhance their knowledge base from a thread such as this one.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 81
January 20, 2022 - 2:11 am

well this thread has gone sideways… sad as it is this has become the reason why ive chosen to be an “in person collector and advisor” the past 25 years. 

so because so many have chosen to stray from facts im going to stick to what i know are facts. 

Harry-  first let me say your a fellow Canadian and love ya man but that doesn’t sway my opinion on knowledge. you preach 55 years experience  but i dont recall seeing you at the vern vosler sale 15 years ago or even at shows 20 years ago that i attended on a regular basis. your argument sways on the seller being “known” etc.. well known people are subject to error just as I am.  also you state he gives a “3 day inspection” well that inspection is only worth what the persons knowledge looking at it is. 

at this piont ive heard every excuse as to why the butt stock is correct from “its a closet queen” to “its right to me” just vague comments with nothing to back them up.  at least I stuck my neck out and stated what i felt was incorrect with the butt stock period. this is for us to learn and discuss.

TR- you state my comments were considered ? they haven’t even been answered with an intelligent response let alone facts. am i reading the right thread?   maybe too much whiskey but I think its been dismissed which i dont take lightly. 

chuck- I would expect you to post  ” keep your mouth shut” under every one of berts comments when he is asked about guns and give his opinion on “a gun is over priced” or  multiple examples of issues.  infact just recently there were threads of a 45-70 and a 50 ex that were way more harsh then the comments on this gun so feel free to skip over and repost your comment.  my money says you wont. 

telling people to keep there mouth shut is narrow minded and no way to teach or learn. my sensei  tought me to  make sure your words are sweet! as you may have to eat the again one day. 

rick asked a question in regards to a firearm just as many others do on this forum. I replied with facts on what i seen. if you can teach me that my facts are incorrect then please do so. as everyone here, im learning daily. 

Inference-  good point !  since your post lacks evidance on the subject and you tell others to “shut there mouths” that lacks reasoning so i guess your right in saying ” the inference in the way a person posts says a lot about that person” 

I am not an arm chair expert, i do not like online.

i have as many 1886 high grade guns as the next high end collector so gain nothing from my comments and in fact would be better to say nothing and increase the value of my guns. 

you all may not recognize me but ive attended cody shows since 2013 and purchased from many. i had good relations with George madis and norm flayderman i knew well and tought me greatly . 

shout out to  chris hartman while im at it.. i was good friends with his father in texas, did a lot of study on 1892 guns.. 

how are you chris? .. lol    

Jeremy Scott.

WACA LIFE MEMBER, CFM MEMBER, ABKA MEMBER, JSSC MEMBER, MNO HISTORIAN 

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
January 20, 2022 - 3:33 am

deerhunter said

pdog72 said

Agreed, it’s a great gun, and I’d be proud to own it. Let’s split this one Don…………your turn. Wink  

Hey Gary, you’re being outbid.  You need to kick in another asap!  

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind owning it. It would make a nice sibling to the one I already have that also letters with fancy stock. The finish on this one looks very similar to the one I have. I figured mine had some extra finish at some point that’s contributed to the high gloss, but pleasantly surprised that the gun being discussed looks the same. Maybe the same guys glossed them up …… who knows. 

DSCN0089-1.JPGImage Enlarger

The way Austins guns sell, I won’t be shocked if his gun goes for nearly twice what it’s at now. 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 20, 2022 - 3:46 am

pdog72 said

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind owning it. It would make a nice sibling to the one I already have that also letters with fancy stock. The finish on this one looks very similar to the one I have. I figured mine had some extra finish at some point that’s contributed to the high gloss, but pleasantly surprised that the gun being discussed looks the same. Maybe the same guys glossed them up …… who knows. 

DSCN0089-1.JPGImage Enlarger

The way Austins guns sell, I won’t be shocked if his gun goes for nearly twice what it’s at now.   

That’s a great looking 86 Gary. Those brothers belong together. I agree this gun will go way higher than I can afford.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
January 20, 2022 - 3:51 am

how are you chris? .. lol      

All’s well down in south Texas. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7
January 22, 2022 - 2:04 am

As a newbie to Winchesters, I am helped by these discussions as well.  I have read the forum for hours but unfortunately links no longer work.  Unless photos were posted it’s hard to follow alon

RickC, I hope you will hang around. You need to cross the 1600 post threshhold.

Thanks,Eric 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1071
January 22, 2022 - 2:01 pm

Ya Rick , hang around jeez it’s only a discussion forum and not all discussions are to Our liking so one has to take the best and leave the rest. Jeremy no offence or malice intended or implied, and I don’t question Your credentials. I simply stated I’ve been in this game for 55+ years, back when the local 2 day shows were in Burford , Acton, London etc.  and I was into Marlins at the time. My first show was in Burford and the first major collection I ever seen was Harold Sleath’s Confederate Enfields, Brown Bess’s etc.and I was hooked.  20-25 years back most of My shows were in Florida and the southwest U.S. in the winter ’cause I worked 7 days a week either trucking or at the r.v. dealership.                                                                                                                                      On the topic of this discussion , all I’m sayin’ is, I personally can’t accurately evaluate a gun based on pictures  I don’t know if the original question in this thread was answered or not but, The gun pictured , in My personal opinion, looks good to Me.  I try not to hold Myself out as an expert but I am a collector with a lot of experience in some fields, and not to much in others. But I do have expert contacts , like the folks here on the forum, that I can contact privately. 

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
January 23, 2022 - 6:25 pm

mrcvs said

The “let’s pick this gun apart” posts are how we learn, for better or worse, and definitely serve a purpose.

Initially, I thought the finish on the wood might have been enhanced, as it looked particularly shiny.  But then I took the time to look at many of the photographs and see in photograph 44 of 124 that the finish of the forearm where one carries it is worn down to  bare and dull wood, strongly suggesting the remaining finish is glossy as original and the finish is that typical of extra fancy walnut.

I think this is an all original example, but this exercise is a good one as some might not know one way or the other and enhance their knowledge base from a thread such as this one.  

mrcvs you are right about these can be good learning experiences.  That is what they should remain to be.  The problem I’m having with the posts are that a few individuals are using these as some sort of ego trip.  Maybe I shouldn’t have said keep your mouth shut out load but that is exactly what I was thinking.  My apologies to most but not the few.  No way do I want the learning process to stop.  But a couple of posters wouldn’t be missed.  Those of us that have been on this Forum for a long time know that some of the individuals that were called out on this thread are really good guys.

Again, most that responded to this thread are not a problem and are usually helpful and respectful of the others.  Yes, there are some that are a bit stronger willed than most but they still mean well.

Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 80
January 25, 2022 - 5:20 pm

After a few people mentioning the forum posts regarding my rifle, I couldn’t help myself. So I decided to log on and check it out. Ooofda… calm down guys, this forum needs to be a calm collective place to share ideas and opinions. 

RickC and Jeremy (in particular), 

The subject rifle is 100% factory original. Including the butt stock, assembly numbers, and the high gloss finish. Nothing wrong with the age of the wood, fit, or inletting. All assembly number stamp fonts are correct, too. I have owned thousands of Winchesters, handled tens and tens of thousands of them. I’ve seen most everything… Bubba fakes, good fakes, GREAT fakes, you name it. Bad inletting, hand fitted with a dremel, guns with the varnish still tacky, etc. I know the look, feel, smell, heck even taste (don’t ask) of a 100+ year old factory original piece of walnut on a gun. This 1886 is awesome and untouched. 

I am a dealer and a salesman but I take pride in what I sell. I have strong morals and I have strict personal standards. I have a reputation to uphold and in this industry your reputation is everything. If I thought this gun was messed with, I would mention it. 

Happy collecting,

Austin

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 25, 2022 - 5:29 pm

Congrats on the sale Austin.  I would be a very proud owner if I had that kind of money set aside.

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
January 25, 2022 - 11:05 pm

Austin – I echo Don’s congratulatory comment as well.  I was attracted to the rifle as soon as I saw it.  Despite some rockiness to the forum discussion, I advanced my knowledge through it.  I had not realized how uncommon a M1886 with fancy uncheckered straight-grip wood was.  

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291