Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 26" ELW TD - "G" Carved Stock
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 7, 2022 - 9:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

To answer a request a couple of you had from another thread where I showed a teaser of this rifle, I took some marginal photos of this very unique 1886 rifle.

Model 1886 #126913 is an ELW 45/70 with an extra length 26″ barrel (22″ being standard for the extra-lights). It’s a 1/2 mag, take-down, deluxe with a Lyman 21 and no rear sight seat. The most interesting feature, and the reason it came home with me is the “G” carved stock. I’ve yet to observe another and have shown this to several respected ’86 collectors who don’t seem to recall seeing one either. I’m guessing it was a very unpopular pattern. When folks bumped up from the “H” checkering we normally observe, I think they went with the “F” most often as you see those now and again on some of the high rent guns. 

DSCN0015-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0016-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0017-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0018-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0019-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0020-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0022-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0023-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0024-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0025-3.JPGImage EnlargerDSCN0027-3.JPGImage Enlarger

For the skeptics out there, that will certainly focus on the one anomaly to this rifle rather than the numerous attributes, you will notice the letter shows a silvers pad, which it obviously does not have. With a perfect fit, LOP, matching assembly numbers, and unique checkering pattern, I very quickly decided that it was likely just a mistake in the ledger, but why? Upon digging a little deeper, we found a rifle in the ledgers with an identical configuration as this one that went through the warehouse the same exact day. The only difference was the second one had the previously referenced “F” carving. 

DSCN0028-3.JPGImage Enlarger

It’s my belief, biased as it may be to support my rifle, that the second rifle did, in fact have a silvers pad and someone just entered them both the same, only noticing the checkering difference. Who knows for sure, but I think it’s very likely that the same person ordered both of them as a pair (maybe for father & son or two brothers) and they had the two styles of carving to make them unique for each of the owners? Maybe the son needed a pad on his? …… all speculation, but fun to imagine. If you happen to own the twin to this rifle, we need to talk.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
May 7, 2022 - 10:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

If you could do “likes” on this forum, I would give you a thousand.

You’re not going to believe this, but I owned the rifle immediately following yours, 126914, which I sold last October as I never could get used to the non factory receiver sight on an otherwise phenomenal rifle.  Interestingly, mine was received in the warehouse 11June 1903 and shipped the following day, whereas if I had to guess, I might have thought yours would have been later, requiring more time to execute the “G” checkering.

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/winchester-model-1886-deluxe-lightweight-take-down-rifle-4094679

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1382
May 8, 2022 - 1:08 am

What a beautiful 86.  I’ve never seen G style on any Winchester.  That is a special gun.  If I remember from the other thread, did you almost walk by it because you thought the carved stock wasn’t factory original?

Al

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
May 8, 2022 - 1:48 am

tionesta1 said
What a beautiful 86.  I’ve never seen G style on any Winchester.  That is a special gun.  If I remember from the other thread, did you almost walk by it because you thought the carved stock wasn’t factory original?

Al  

Yes, at first glance it looks wrong, so I hadn’t paid much attention to it. Later on in the show, this fellow wanted a 65 deluxe I had on my table, so I ended up using that gun as trade towards the ’86 ………. after I ran a search with CFM first, of course. I also made him pull the wood off to look for assembly numbers. It has 001 in three places, as I recall, but I dint get any photos at the time. Anyway, it was a good find.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
May 8, 2022 - 1:54 am

mrcvs said
If you could do “likes” on this forum, I would give you a thousand.

You’re not going to believe this, but I owned the rifle immediately following yours, 126914, which I sold last October as I never could get used to the non factory receiver sight on an otherwise phenomenal rifle.  Interestingly, mine was received in the warehouse 11June 1903 and shipped the following day, whereas if I had to guess, I might have thought yours would have been later, requiring more time to execute the “G” checkering.

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/winchester-model-1886-deluxe-lightweight-take-down-rifle-4094679  

Thats quite the coincidence, and yes, that was a nice looking ’86 you had as well.

I think the timing of when the serial numbers showed up in the warehouse as completed guns was simply the order in which the receiver was pulled out of a tray. Mine was closer to the top of the stack than yours was. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
May 8, 2022 - 2:07 am

I thought my rifle to be quite nice but the receiver sight really hurt it.

Your rifle is quite spectacular, to say the least!

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
May 9, 2022 - 12:27 am

Quite honestly I think it is an exceptional rifle worthy of a ride home with any factory pattern, the “G” checkering makes it even more special. Nice score, good luck finding her sister. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
May 9, 2022 - 5:18 pm

Spectacular rifle Gary.  Amazing it lasted on the table that long.  I can only dream of stumbling across such a rifle.  A holy grail in my opinion.

Don

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
May 10, 2022 - 1:44 am

Thanks guys, Its one of my favorites.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
May 11, 2022 - 1:24 am

pdog72 said
Thanks guys, Its one of my favorites.  

It is an amazing rifle.  Very interesting with a lot of uniqueness going for it.  I am envious.  

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hanzel, Kendall M, Paul K
Guest(s) 138
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160