Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 Low Wall
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 23, 2023 - 12:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Good job, Steve. I knew you could do it. If I can do it, you can. I LOVE pictures! OTOH I fought with QuickBooks for the better part of today trying to get things ready for my CPA. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
January 23, 2023 - 12:23 am

oldcrankyyankee said

Bert H. said

oldcrankyyankee said

WooHoo Steve! you did it, Your a better man than I. Ohya the carbines are most excellent. I personally love the smooth pg. classic!!!!!

There is not a single “Carbine” in that fine batch of 33 WCF Model 1886s !

You are correct Burt, But I was referencing the first picture Steve posted. Believe they are all 1894’s and I’m guessing in 32 special?  BTW steve I didn’t know you where a 86 aficionado.

Oh yeah, there was some .32 Specials in that group of carbines.  But yes, the ’86 is my favorite Winchester.  It all started with the deer rifle my Dad had when I was a small boy – a Model 1886 – in .33!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 584
January 23, 2023 - 1:01 am

Steve, The .33 is a lovely rifle. I only have one currently as 45-90wcf is my kryptonite. Although I just rescued a fine 86 deluxe in 45-70 from the pound. Letters as an extra light weight with 2/3 mag take down. Looks really good sitting next to the 45-90 td deluxe with matte half round and checkered trigger.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
January 24, 2023 - 12:24 am

oldcrankyyankee said
Steve, The .33 is a lovely rifle. I only have one currently as 45-90wcf is my kryptonite. Although I just rescued a fine 86 deluxe in 45-70 from the pound. Letters as an extra light weight with 2/3 mag take down. Looks really good sitting next to the 45-90 td deluxe with matte half round and checkered trigger.

Oh I remember the ’86 you are referring to Cool

I had some strong temptation going on that one.  I’m confident there is not another one like it out there. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10840
January 24, 2023 - 1:00 am

Here is the picture of Jim’s new (old) Single Shot low-wall rifle…

4028-1.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
January 24, 2023 - 1:43 am

Bert H. said
Here is the picture of Jim’s new (old) Single Shot low-wall rifle…

4028-1.jpgImage Enlarger

I like it, but am puzzled by the lone swivel on the brl.  Some specialized target rifles were built with one forward swivel only (for use with a cuff), but this isn’t one of them; esp. not in .32 Short!  Assuming there’s no evidence of a previous buttstock swivel (like a hole for the eye), I don’t know what to make of it, unless the buttstock is a replacement; but the wood grain seems to match the forestock perfectly.

The long range tang sight is another anomaly, but who knows how it got there–maybe it was the only one some former owner had at his disposal, so he slapped it on. 

40 or 50 yrs ago when the Canuck brand of .32 RF could still be bought at a price that allowed serious shooting, I tested it in two Stevens & Rem .32s I had, both with mint bores & tang sights, & was so disappointed in the accuracy, compared to .22 RF, that my ideas of small game hunting with these guns was abruptly terminated.  I’ve been told that quality of US made ammo was much better, but even back then it was too expensive to shoot.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
January 24, 2023 - 1:47 am

TXGunNut said
 OTOH I fought with QuickBooks for the better part of today trying to get things ready for my CPA.

Now you’ve stepped up to the plate!

https://www.cparifles.com/

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
January 24, 2023 - 2:19 am

clarence said

TXGunNut said

OTOH I fought with QuickBooks for the better part of today trying to get things ready for my CPA.

Now you’ve stepped up to the plate!

https://www.cparifles.com/

Fascinating site, Clarence. Not a fan of the Stevens but I like the moulds and other goodies. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 133
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322