Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 .32 IDEAL
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1100
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 13, 2021 - 11:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I just got this piece home; 1885 .32 IDEAL, 30 ” oct. bbl., #1, ser#114655, set trigger, cres. butt. Lyman sights. My question, is this sight correct for this gun , I don’t recall seeing this sight on another gun , what is it. What does a .32 Ideal cartridge look like

20210313_162205.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_162233.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_162307.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_162507.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_162537.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_162549.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_184525.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_184541.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_184623.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_184649.jpgImage Enlarger20210313_184649-1.jpgImage Enlarger

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

RickC
WACA Guest
March 14, 2021 - 12:06 am

Nice gun Henry.

And the winder musket will arrive Monday. Thanks.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6389
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 14, 2021 - 1:00 am

Henry Mero said
I just got this piece home; 1885 .32 IDEAL, 30 ” oct. bbl., #1, ser#114655, set trigger, cres. butt. Lyman sights. My question, is this sight correct for this gun , I don’t recall seeing this sight on another gun , what is it. What does a .32 Ideal cartridge look like 

WS codes for the M. 90 family.  The #47 wind-guage stem could be bought separately to use in any Lyman tang sight.  Or if bought together, it’s a #52A.  Worth $350+.

.32 Ideal is a straight sided case designed by Stevens holding about 25 g. BP.  Pick up an Ideal Handbook repro from WW1 period & you’ll find complete info about it.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
March 14, 2021 - 2:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The .32 Ideal is a rare chambering in the Winchester single-shot.  Supposed to be a very accurate cartridge.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
March 14, 2021 - 4:09 am

Here’s a box of .32 IDEAL ammo that recently sold at Ward’s Auction.

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewitem.php?item=30091

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
March 14, 2021 - 4:26 am

steve004 said
The .32 Ideal is a rare chambering in the Winchester single-shot.  Supposed to be a very accurate cartridge.  

I do not classify it as a “rare” cartridge in the Single Shot. Instead, I put it in the “uncommon” category.  The total production was most likely to be in the 275 – 280 range.  There were (267) that letter, and with Henry’s new low-wall, that makes (3) 32 Ideal rifles in the non-letterable range.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 298
March 14, 2021 - 5:34 am

I recently bought 60 new .32 Ideal cases for my High Wall and bought a set of loading dies on eBay so there is interest in this old cartridge.

WACA Member
March 14, 2021 - 12:37 pm

Nice , Thank You Clarence for the sight info. And thanks for all the other info. This is the only gun on My rack I don’t have ammo for, but I’ll find some.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
March 14, 2021 - 2:16 pm

The .32 Ideal brass I have were made by Bertram Brass from Australia but available online by a number of suppliers in North America. 

NY
WACA Member
March 14, 2021 - 3:05 pm

Dave K. said
The .32 Ideal brass I have were made by Bertram Brass from Australia but available online by a number of suppliers in North America.   

Don’t know about this brass, but other Bertram’s cases have acquired a reputation for splitting at the mouth after very few firings, because the brass is too hard, leading to warnings that they should be annealed before repeated reloads.

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
March 14, 2021 - 5:52 pm

clarence said

Don’t know about this brass, but other Bertram’s cases have acquired a reputation for splitting at the mouth after very few firings, because the brass is too hard, leading to warnings that they should be annealed before repeated reloads.  

Thanks, I have read the same thing about Bertram but I got mine at a bargain price so thought I would give them a try. I could anneal the brass as I havent reloaded any of them yet.

WACA Member
March 14, 2021 - 6:22 pm

Ya, I’ll be looking for original boxed ammo like was sold at Ward;s

RickC
WACA Guest
March 14, 2021 - 6:33 pm

Henry Mero said
Ya, I’ll be looking for original boxed ammo like was sold at Ward;s  

If anyone can find it, I know you can Henry!!

WACA Member
March 14, 2021 - 7:44 pm

Bert H. said

steve004 said

I do not classify it as a “rare” cartridge in the Single Shot. Instead, I put it in the “uncommon” category.  The total production was most likely to be in the 275 – 280 range.  There were (267) that letter, and with Henry’s new low-wall, that makes (3) 32 Ideal rifles in the non-letterable range.  

Bert – based on your comments, I would think you would be in strong disagreement with the, “expert” on Pawn Stars.  I saw a clip this morning where a customer brought in an ’86 Winchester that had been handed down to him from his grandfather.  The, “Old Man,” while bloviating much Winchester knowledge, said the .45-90 was, “very rare.”  Then, they got one of their outside, “experts” to weigh-in.  He confirmed the .45-90 was rare and also stated it was the rarest caliber the M1886 was made in.  We can only imagine what their group of experts would say about a .32 Ideal LaughLaugh  Oh, it was amusing as they paid $3500 for a no blue rifle that had been refinished, wood oversanded and the barrel/mag tube shortened.  They stated the rarity of the caliber overshadowed all of these other factors.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
March 14, 2021 - 8:01 pm

steve004 said

Bert – based on your comments, I would think you would be in strong disagreement with the, “expert” on Pawn Stars.  I saw a clip this morning where a customer brought in an ’86 Winchester that had been handed down to him from his grandfather.  The, “Old Man,” while bloviating much Winchester knowledge, said the .45-90 was, “very rare.”  Then, they got one of their outside, “experts” to weigh-in.  He confirmed the .45-90 was rare and also stated it was the rarest caliber the M1886 was made in.  We can only imagine what their group of experts would say about a .32 Ideal LaughLaugh  Oh, it was amusing as they paid $3500 for a no blue rifle that had been refinished, wood oversanded and the barrel/mag tube shortened.  They stated the rarity of the caliber overshadowed all of these other factors.  

Steve,

Those guys on Pawn Stars are quintessentially ignorant when it comes to most of the old firearms that they buy, and their so-called “experts” are only marginally less ignorant.  They will learn an expensive lesson when they try selling it.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
March 14, 2021 - 8:07 pm

Bert H. said

Steve,

Those guys on Pawn Stars are quintessentially ignorant when it comes to most of the old firearms that they buy, and their so-called “experts” are only marginally less ignorant.  They will learn an expensive lesson when they try selling it.

Bert  

I agree Bert.  For me, the show reminds me of a show from way back – The Three Stooges!  Seriously, would it have been that difficult to find someone who actually knew something to provide input on the show?  I guess it wasn’t necessary.  And they’re the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
March 14, 2021 - 8:09 pm

Bert H. said

Steve,

Bert  

The firearms segments were one reason I quit watching that show for anything other than entertainment value. There are few things as fake as “reality” TV. Reality TV is one reason I don’t watch TV any more. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
March 14, 2021 - 8:25 pm

Bert H. said

Steve,

Bert  

Since the whole BS act is put on for the TV camera, they don’t have to worry about selling it–they just hand it back to the stooge who brought it in; that is, if they didn’t previously provide it to the same stooge so he’d have something to bring in!  Phony from beginning to end.

Their one “expert” who seems to have some minimal credibility is the older man who’s supposed to be director of a local museum.  However, I found out even he was wrong about a CW belt buckle.

The young guy from Int. Mil. Antiques is simply another member of the cast.  I bought a WWI helmet on ebay for less than half what IMA asks for the same helmets on their website–and they had around a hundred of them!

WACA Member
March 14, 2021 - 10:48 pm

I stopped into their shop one time several years ago when I happened to be in Las Vegas.  I think the show was quite popular at the time.  None of the cast was there of course. The place was a small dump.  They make it look much larger by manipulating the filming angles.  I agree with other’s comments – “reality TV” is about as far from reality you can get.  At least when it comes to firearms, I suspect 99% of people watching don’t know that what they are saying is B.S.  As annoying as it is, it doesn’t make sense that the producers would have any concern about making it more accurate.  And yes, it is surely all staged and scripted.  The only difference between this and the old, “Three Stooges” show is that Pawn Stars has more than three stooges.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
March 14, 2021 - 11:02 pm

Back to the OP, that’s an interesting cartridge. 150 grain bullet nudged out of the case by 26 grains of powder? Sounds like a good prospect for garden or chicken coop pest control or short range target work. Could be fun. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354