Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 24, 2021 - 2:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just another example of why our magazine has a permanent home on my coffee table or bookshelf while most others are trashed after reading. Good job! Just got started on the latest issue and Bert’s update of his 2013 Model 71 article did not disappoint. As promised it contains data collected since the article was first published. Interesting article about an interesting rifle. One member had an outstanding collection of 71’s in Cody, wish I could remember his name.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 31, 2021 - 12:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Pre-64 Relativity, indeed! G. Scott Soles’ article on the (late) Pre-64’s was very thought-provoking and well-written, IMHO. I agree that it is an unappreciated segment of the collectible Winchester market and I agree that many examples exhibit high condition and further the fit and finish is often quite good. My holdings in this segment are pretty slim but Soles’ excellent article raised some valid points, I may very well expand my horizons a bit. Most of us realize that high condition guns are king right now and many of the later pre-64’s are often in very good, often like new condition. 

The subject of a collector’s focus and tastes have come up here on the forum from time to time and Soles touched on and elaborated on many of the points made. I still think we ought to collect what we like but I’ve managed to finance some of my collecting activities buying unappreciated Winchesters and selling them to collectors and dealers who appreciate them. 

Good job, Scott! 

Now if I could just talk Robert Cooper into letting me shoot a couple rounds of skeet with his engraved Model 12. The trap guys at the club get all misty-eyed when I shoot a round of trap with one of my old Model 12’s, might as well give the skeet folks something to drool over!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346