Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 12, 2017 - 4:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

At the moment, frustrating. With work, gardening, a funeral, work and other demands I’ve only skimmed a few articles. Did I mention work? The 1866 article was especially intriguing.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
May 14, 2017 - 2:53 pm

Really enjoyed the Goodwin article and pictures, Brad! Nice to know the story behind the illustrations I’ve been enjoying for years. Bellemore article was good. I liked the picture where Granton had his tie tucked into his shirt, truly a man that understood the hazards of working around machinery. Novak’s 1873 article was quite good and brutally honest. My brother lost a deer in almost the same situation but he was hunting with a much more powerful 30-06. It’s hard to lose a deer but it certainly happens. I like the short features as well.

Saving the Civil War 1866 article for last, skimmed it a bit and certainly looking forward to it.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Forum Posts: 960
May 15, 2017 - 12:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I’m glad you enjoyed the Goodwin stuff and the rest of the magazine as well.  I spend a lot of time looking at old advertising for rifles, cartridges and sights and kept seeing different Goodwin work.  I had hoped somebody would write an article for the magazine about Goodwin for several years.  I think Dr. Peterson’s book is excellent if you don’t have it.  Most/all copies might be in the secondary market now and I don’t know if there are any more printings planned.

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
May 25, 2017 - 2:22 am

When I grow up, I hope I can write maybe half as well as Mr. Bresnan. I have only a casual interest in the Henry rifle but have spent more than a few hours reading about our Civil War. I have read accounts of some of the battles discussed in part two of this series but have read little about the Henry rifle. As a gun nut I knew the Henry rifle was a factor but few modern historians give the Henry due credit. It’s said that force multipliers like the Henry save lives so maybe as a Southerner I should be grateful. Truth be told my family was like many, my ancestors fought on both sides.

Once again, an article very well done! The story of a conflict that affected all of us and the rifle that interests many of us as well as helping launch the Winchester company is a story that I’ll preserve, re-read and keep as a reference material.

Thanks for putting the time into this article, Mr. Bresnan. Combining all those resources into an article that told the story of the Henry in this conflict is simply awesome. Nicely done!

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Posts: 960
May 26, 2017 - 1:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Andrew has been doing a great job on these articles and there is still one more to go in the next issue.  I’ll be sure to let him know you liked it.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
May 28, 2017 - 4:35 am

Thanks, Brad. I doubt I’m the only one that appreciates Andrew’s work. I am indeed looking forward to the third part of this series. Once again, kudos to Mr. Bresnan.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 150
September 2, 2017 - 9:17 am

Could someone let me know what the general gist of the following article is in the Spring 2017 magazine.

• An Intriguing Model 1894 Winchester by Michael F. Carrick

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
September 2, 2017 - 6:17 pm

Alan,

It is in reference to a Model 1894 Sporting Rifle manufactured in the year 1896, 30 WCF, and later fitted with a Maxim silencer. It was found listed in a book (from Russia), and was formerly in the collection of a Russian collector. It was purchased by the collector in Berlin Germany in the year 1909, and later donated to the State Museum (near Red Square).

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 150
September 10, 2017 - 12:55 am

Thanks Bert

Alan

Forum Timezone: UTC 0