Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1866 Receiver Repair
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 94
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 22, 2022 - 12:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a 1866 receiver which is in very good condition except for a couple of issues. I don’t think either of these issues would affect the shooting ability of this receiver. However, I have 2 questions:

1. Is it worth fixing?

2. Anybody know of anyone that can repair the alloy on an 1866 receiver?

I have the rest of the receiver parts – finger lever, side plates, hammer, etc…..

IMG_4067.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4068.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4072.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4075.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4066.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4073.JPGImage Enlarger

Please email me at: [email protected],if you know someone who repairs these receivers.

Thanks, Richard Pike

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1585
February 22, 2022 - 4:50 am

Your going to have to find someone that can weld Gunmetal and that knows what the hell they’re doing.

A lot of welders won’t touch gun metal. You’ll end up with a porous weld. 

From TWI (The Welding Institute)

Can you weld gunmetal?
Autogenous welding of phosphor bronzes is not recommended due to weld metal porosity. However, this risk can be reduced by using a filler wire with a higher level of deoxidants. Gunmetal is not considered weldable since it is susceptible to hot cracking.
I do wonder if Winchester’s 66 receivers contains lead in addition to the copper-tin-zinc (Cu-Sn-Zn) Gun Metal alloys.
If you find someone that is able to weld and repair it, please let me know. As I have a Winchester 3rd Model Brass bullet mold with a bad cavity I’d like to get welded up and re-cherried.

Sincerely,
Maverick

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
February 22, 2022 - 5:00 am

I have a friend that works on antique guns and he tells me stories about the issues he has welding gun metal. It is very unpredictable  but blow holes was the most common.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
February 22, 2022 - 10:44 am

Thank you Maverick and Bob. It sounds like this receiver is best used as a “paper weight”. It is too bad because the rest of it is in good condition. I still think it could be made into a shooter, just not very pretty. 

Richard 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1585
February 22, 2022 - 10:43 pm

Richard Pike said
Thank you Maverick and Bob. It sounds like this receiver is best used as a “paper weight”. It is too bad because the rest of it is in good condition. I still think it could be made into a shooter, just not very pretty. 

Richard   

What caused it to be in its current condition?

Sincerely,

Maverick

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
February 22, 2022 - 10:53 pm

The crack in the lower tang is going to be from a broken or loose stock. The damage to the front side of the receiver has me scratching my head. It almost looks like it was burned off with a plasma torch.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
February 27, 2022 - 3:28 pm

1873man said
The crack in the lower tang is going to be from a broken or loose stock. The damage to the front side of the receiver has me scratching my head. It almost looks like it was burned off with a plasma torch.

Bob  

Bob, I think you are correct about the lower tang. This rifle had a broken stock on it when I bought it. The magazine tube had been brazed to the barrel. It is amazing that the receiver free of nicks and gouges. I thought I could use the side plates, but they are thicker than my other two 1866’s. 

Thanks for weighting in on my post.

Dick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 13
February 1, 2023 - 10:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Yes, both of these can be repaired.  The trick is to use Bronze (Gunmetal Rods) C90300 composition which are a near perfect match to Winchester 1866 formulation and a TIG Welder. Carefully, 60-70 AMPS so as not to overheat.  

I had a broken lower tang on one of my 1866s in the past and went to a local brass foundry in Richmond, VA (Brass Bed company) that helped me with the repair.  It was the first time they had done something like that, so the guy left ALOT of excess material that I had to grind away and then polish on the tang, but when I was done with it, was not even discernable, I used a liquid (brass ager) to adjust the patination, along with some sulfur fumes via boiled eggs in a plastic container with the frame inside.

This summer I’m going to buy my own TIG welder and practice with it for future work.  If it is still something you are interested in, let me know and might be able to help.  I wish I had some photos to showcase what was done with my previous example, but cannot find them at the moment.  

WACA Member
February 26, 2023 - 8:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

BobbyA said
Yes, both of these can be repaired.  The trick is to use Bronze (Gunmetal Rods) C90300 composition which are a near perfect match to Winchester 1866 formulation and a TIG Welder. Carefully, 60-70 AMPS so as not to overheat.  

I had a broken lower tang on one of my 1866s in the past and went to a local brass foundry in Richmond, VA (Brass Bed company) that helped me with the repair.  It was the first time they had done something like that, so the guy left ALOT of excess material that I had to grind away and then polish on the tang, but when I was done with it, was not even discernable, I used a liquid (brass ager) to adjust the patination, along with some sulfur fumes via boiled eggs in a plastic container with the frame inside.

This summer I’m going to buy my own TIG welder and practice with it for future work.  If it is still something you are interested in, let me know and might be able to help.  I wish I had some photos to showcase what was done with my previous example, but cannot find them at the moment.  

BobbyA said

Bob, thank you for your response. I found a person in Florida that said he could repair this receiver. He also makes Winchester Barrels. I sent him my receiver, with a request for a new Winchester barrel for it.  That was last March 19, 2022. I don’t have it back yet! On January 12th 2023, I sent the owner an email saying I was concerned it was taking so long. I said I was concerned about the receiver, that there might have been issues with the repair. He sent back a nasty email about how he was a craftsman and how dare I question his work. That was 5 weeks ago, and I still have heard that the receiver repair has been completed. I can be contacted at: [email protected]

Thanks, Richard

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 37
February 27, 2023 - 1:31 am

As someone who has welded on original 1866 Winchesters Bobby A is correct.   The correct rod is the key along with a steady hand on the tig rig and using the peddle.     

IMG_7359-1.jpeg

WACA Member 

Colt Collectors Association Member 

Buffalo Bill Center of the West Member 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: dimrod, Win61
Guest(s) 57
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387