Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Safe Temperature 1886
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Taos NM
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 235
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 14, 2022 - 2:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

What is a safe temperature to bake a Walnut stock to remove the oil?  Thanks Bill

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5054
August 14, 2022 - 3:28 pm

Bill-

I’m hesitant to use anything more than direct sunlight and even then I monitor things closely and wipe off the oil as it forms on the surface. I’ve read of milsurp collectors wrapping stocks in plastic bags and placing them in direct sunlight inside a vehicle to remove Cosmoline.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6385
August 14, 2022 - 3:46 pm

TXGunNut said
Bill-

I’m hesitant to use anything more than direct sunlight and even then I monitor things closely and wipe off the oil as it forms on the surface. I’ve read of milsurp collectors wrapping stocks in plastic bags and placing them in direct sunlight inside a vehicle to remove Cosmoline.

Mike

I’d wrap wood tightly in 2 or 3 layers of paper towels, changing them when they began to look oil-stained, as the treatment will probably take hours to complete.  Really depends on how deeply the wood has been saturated.  Since the temp in a closed car can reach 150 deg, that temp would be safe, or even 200, I think.  

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
August 14, 2022 - 3:59 pm

I remember years ago someone tried to cure linseed oil on a forearm in a oven and it was OK until the wife put the Salmon in with it and cranked up the heat.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
August 14, 2022 - 4:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

clarence said

TXGunNut said

Bill-

Mike

I’d wrap wood tightly in 2 or 3 layers of paper towels, changing them when they began to look oil-stained, as the treatment will probably take hours to complete.  Really depends on how deeply the wood has been saturated.  Since the temp in a closed car can reach 150 deg, that temp would be safe, or even 200, I think.  

Thanks, Clarence, neglected to mention it is a slow process. Last time I did it took several hours and even then I stopped before all the oil was gone. I wanted the gun to retain some of the character over a century of honest use had given it. An oven, especially an electric one, will often have brief temperature spikes due to the on/off nature of heating elements and I’m concerned about how that would affect a wood gun stock.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 15, 2022 - 10:27 pm

Flames would be an indication the heat is too high….Wink

WACA Member
August 17, 2022 - 2:20 am

steve004 said
Flames would be an indication the heat is too high….Wink

We’re hoping to avoid that, I’m thinking once we smell smoke it’s too late. Some days the rail on my back porch is my favorite workbench. If the oil and solvent kill a few weeds I’m OK with that. Nice rustic backdrop for when I pretend to know how to take pics.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 17, 2022 - 12:02 pm

I have seen wood that has been oven baked, not good! The wood shrinks and finish ruined. Wouldn’t it be best not to use the products that cause the problem in the first place? I have sold nice honest guns to collectors only to see them a couple years later with the wood messed up. Original is only original if it has never been messed with! A gun with nice fitting wood sealed to the metal with a little oil staining is better than messed with wood.

Save the shake and bake for shooters and chicken. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 31
August 17, 2022 - 12:26 pm

I agree w TR. i rebuilt a 1906 25-35, but used vintage parts except buttstock. That was finished to match color of forearm. In the end its a shooter but looks awesome. My more collectibles are shot, cleaned, but never messed with enough to change their appearance.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1584
August 17, 2022 - 6:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

426crown said
What is a safe temperature to bake a Walnut stock to remove the oil?  Thanks Bill

Wood placed in an oven at 700°F. catches fire almost immediately. At oven temperatures of 450°-500°F., the wood gradually chars and usually ignites after several hours. “Pyrophoric carbon,” formed when wood slowly chars, absorbs and combines rapidly with oxygen. The ignition temperature can be different depending on the wood type. What Temperature Does Wood Ignite? — So, wood ignites at temperatures between 390 degrees Fahrenheit and 500 degrees.

From Various Internet Search Results

Looks like you wouldn’t want to go above 350-380. Next time you bake some potatoes, give it a whirl. Personally I wouldn’t bake it to get it off. I’d use some type of chemical stripper. But having never done either, I’d be thrilled to know how yours turns out.

Sincerely,

Maverick

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6385
August 17, 2022 - 6:56 pm

Maverick said

At oven temperatures of 450°-500°F., the wood gradually chars and usually ignites after several hours.

Which is how charcoal is made, except that it’s done in an airtight chamber to prevent ignition. 

WACA Member
August 18, 2022 - 3:14 am

clarence said

Maverick said

At oven temperatures of 450°-500°F., the wood gradually chars and usually ignites after several hours.

Which is how charcoal is made, except that it’s done in an airtight chamber to prevent ignition. 

Ever read that book by Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451?  Again, oven heating elements are generally controlled by what is commonly referred to bang-bang controller. As I understand it that means the controller sends power to a heating element and it heats up until the entire oven reaches the desired temperature. The element, and objects close to it, will reach much higher temps. Put your frozen pizza in the oven, your 100 year old gun stocks deserve a kinder and gentler approach.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 74
September 28, 2022 - 11:46 pm

you might  just bake  the oil into the wood or varnish filler  under it,          I ve  use   zip strip with a brush. , followed  by  paper  towel  wet  with solvent. do outoors, and  wipe  it down  to . the solvents  are safer  than  baking it,  it shrinks the wood  from heat  by taking the moisture content  ,out.

WACA Member
September 29, 2022 - 2:25 pm

It seems I recently saw a video on removing oil stains from stocks. It may have been Larry whats-his-name at MIDWAY or Mark Douglas at WACA. Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
September 29, 2022 - 4:29 pm

I’m a bit curious why you want to remove the oil?  But, if you must, I’d use a solvent like alcohol or lacquer thinner.

WACA Member
September 29, 2022 - 7:02 pm

Perhaps he wants to remove oil soaked area in the wrist from over-oiling the action. Don

Taos NM
WACA Member
September 29, 2022 - 7:34 pm

Living at 7150″, I will hang an oily stock on the back porch in the sun, next summer –That should do it Thanks Billl

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 492
September 29, 2022 - 11:13 pm

Bill, Brownell’s sells a product called “Whiting Compound” for pulling oil out of stocks.  It’s cheap and pretty easy to use.  You mix it with a solvent like acetone until it has the consistency of pancake batter, then spread it on the stock and let it dry.  Once dry, you just brush it off.  I’ve used it with pretty good luck in the past.  Mark

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303