Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1913 model 1894, needs work, is it worth it?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 8, 2022 - 11:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

jertex said

Great information, I’m guessing this is what I’m seeing in this pic.

Partly–the “safety” is underneath the mainspring. The pin is attached to it & should be poking out through the lower tang, unless, like I said, it’s stuck.  Remove the mainspring & you can find out what’s preventing it from working as it should.  Failure of the half-cock to hold is a different problem–maybe a worn notch in the hammer.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
December 9, 2022 - 7:18 pm

On the 1894 the safety block or lock has a spring, depending on the year manufactured it will be a flat spring or a wire spring (later), either will work — that depresses the safety block/pin downward blocking the movement of the trigger (the block bears against the back side of the trigger.  When the lever is closed, it bears against the pin that protrudes through the lower tang–in doing so, raises the block allowing the trigger to be pulled.   Below are examples of both types of lower tang safety springs (note the pin holding both safety blocks in the lower tangs shown are removed removed, probably needed them for something else). 

DSC07509.JPGImage EnlargerDSC07511.JPGImage EnlargerDSC07514.JPGImage Enlarger

Sounds like you may be missing the safety block, spring, or its just full of crud not allowing it to work.  Could also be you have a damaged trigger or hammer. 

Regarding the mainspring, it is attached through the lower tang from the outside, the mainspring screw hole is not threaded, the mainspring is. 

CH

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 37
December 9, 2022 - 7:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks, CH, really helpful to see those pics, I can see the wire spring sticking up, and it appears to me that it’s stuck in the up position. Judging from the rest of the rifle, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s being held up by a bunch of crud. I ordered a replacement main spring and screws and they came in yesterday. I will do a more complete take down of the rifle tomorrow since I’m replacing the mainspring anyway. I suspect I have a combination of problems since the hammer will also drop from the half-cock position with a pull of the trigger. I suspect that it’s a hammer problem, but I’ll know more tomorrow.

Jerry

I'm more of a shooter than a collector, but I do have a few collectibles.

Philippians 1:6

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
December 9, 2022 - 8:14 pm

jertex said I suspect I have a combination of problems since the hammer will also drop from the half-cock position with a pull of the trigger. I suspect that it’s a hammer problem, but I’ll know more tomorrow.

Not how it’s supposed to work, but not a huge problem either, as the fall of the hammer from half-cock lacks enough force to set off the primer.  And you wouldn’t be pulling the trigger in that position anyway, except to test it.  I wouldn’t replace the hammer unless you’re planning to do one hell of a lot of shooting with this gun.  Now if the hammer slips from the full-cock position when you push on it, that would be cause for replacing it.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
December 10, 2022 - 5:27 am

clarence said

jertex said I suspect I have a combination of problems since the hammer will also drop from the half-cock position with a pull of the trigger. I suspect that it’s a hammer problem, but I’ll know more tomorrow.

Not how it’s supposed to work, but not a huge problem either, as the fall of the hammer from half-cock lacks enough force to set off the primer. 

Try standing in front of the muzzle and testing that theory Wink.  Why go off “half-cocked”, fix it. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 224
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055