Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 large loop lever repair/modification
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 10, 2022 - 3:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

New to this group and Winchester ownership. I recently purchased a ’94 takedown model, in .30-30. I know, it’s not made by Winchester, but they claim it’s made to specs. My big ham-hands don’t fit the finger lever very well, so I bought a large loop lever from Numrich. Numrich listed it as fitting all post 64 models, but after I swapped them out, the lifter wouldn’t “lift”. I swapped them back, and the lifter works again. I cannot see any visible variations between the two that might cause this. Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance, Karl, 68 coupe

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
April 10, 2022 - 7:41 pm

Would you care to enlighten us as to what exactly you are working on? Almost all reproduction parts require some level of fitting and if the gun you’re trying to install it into is not a Winchester all bets are off. My only suggestion is to buy one of the many post-64’s with the big loop already installed.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
April 11, 2022 - 1:12 am

Can’t be of much help, if you don’t tell us what brand (model) you bought.

WACA Guest
April 11, 2022 - 1:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks for the replies. It’s a Winchester Model ’94 takedown model. purchased new-in-the-box, last year (2021). My research tells me that it was made in Japan, under license, and that Winchester Repeating Arms is defunct. That’s all I meant in the OP. I am new to lever action rifles, and don’t want to ruin a perfectly functioning firearm by trying to change something that “ain’t broke”. I own a number of more modern design firearms and work on them without problems.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Karl, 68coupe

WACA Guest
April 18, 2022 - 12:14 am

I have decided to take it to the source. I emailed Winchester to ask for the part number and a price, if they have it in stock, or even sell one to me. At the very least they can give me a part number.

Karl, 68 coupe

RI
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 35
April 18, 2022 - 2:02 am

Karl Boos said
I have decided to take it to the source. I emailed Winchester to ask for the part number and a price, if they have it in stock, or even sell one to me. At the very least they can give me a part number.

Karl, 68 coupe  

Do keep us posted, Karl.  I’m curious as to what they have to say, since I might like to try the same mod on one of my newer ’94s.

Frank

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
April 18, 2022 - 2:03 am

Good call, Karl. Miroku makes an excellent firearm but they differ a bit from the guns we call Winchester. You may want to check out Brownell’s site. Maybe Midway. Both sites have good descriptions and have a chat function that allows you to ask questions about applicability. 

Be very careful experimenting with lever guns. Most of us started with one. Trust me, that’s all it takes! Wink

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
June 11, 2022 - 2:50 pm

Soooo, I “finally” got a response from Winchester. The large loop isn’t offered as a spare part for the model that I have. I now have two large loop levers that don’t work. HOWEVER, I have studied the action with a boresight and found that the little “notch” on the top of the lever near the bolt is what allows the additional travel needed to make the carrier/lifter thingy to function. Visibly, it is the ONLY difference between the large loops I have and the one from the rifle, aside from the actual loop. I’m going to use my Dremel to make the “notch” in one of the large loops levers to see if it works.

Mike, the same holds true for so many things, Lays potato chips, Thompsons, M1 Carbines, 1911’s & air-cooled VW’s.

I’ll try to add photos if it works,

Karl

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 69
June 12, 2022 - 4:14 am

I see the Numrich Arms large loop lever for the Model 94 with several different part numbers.

WACA Guest
June 14, 2022 - 4:02 am

I bought one of the large-loops from Numrich, the other from Homestead Parts.

The modification with the Dremel worked. I milled out a “notch” like the one in the original lever and cold-blued the work after an op-check. The large-loop is installed and op-checks 4.0 with snap caps. Off to the range on Wednesday with live ammo. The lever on the left is the original, center is an unmodified large-loop, right is the modified, now in the rifle.

levers

Below is the project rifle.

winchester94

Karl

WACA Guest
June 14, 2022 - 4:04 am

How does one add photos? My first attempt failed miserably.

Karl

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
June 14, 2022 - 11:20 pm

Karl Boos said
How does one add photos? My first attempt failed miserably.

Karl  

Posting Photos is Easier Than Ever! | Forum Rules and FAQs | ForumWinchester Collector

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1ned1, Byron Russell
Guest(s) 211
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600