Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
WACA Calendar November 2021
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 31, 2021 - 12:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I just pulled my WACA calendar off the wall and changed the month to November – normally would do it tomorrow night but I won’t be here tomorrow. When I changed it I was pleasantly surprised to see the wonderful 50 caliber Model 76 owned by WACA member Tim Tomlinson – what a rare and pristine gun it is. When I started reading the description and looking at it I was struck by how similar it was to one of my guns and as I further examined the two of them I found they are both in the 50k serial range and share features such as caliber, case hardening, checkered stock, pistol grip, button magazine and octagon barrel. The main difference is Tim’s gun has a shotgun butt and mine has a rifle butt. The 76’s had a little different process for the case hardening as later models and the colors did not survive as well – fortunately, both of these have survived pretty darn good. I have attached a few photos of mine.

76del-1.JPGImage Enlarger76delcal.JPGImage Enlarger76delrec.JPGImage Enlargerltr76del.JPGImage Enlarger.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4246
October 31, 2021 - 1:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Beautiful Burt.  Thank you for posting.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 581
October 31, 2021 - 2:08 pm

Burt,  I’ve noticed in your various postings that you have very nice rifles!  This is just one more example!  Now, which would you rather shoot?!   I did have to sneak mine to the range one day when I had it to myself and fire a couple of rounds through it, just because.  I don’t intend to make that a common occurrence.  Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4596
October 31, 2021 - 5:01 pm

32 grains of 4198 for about 1,350 FPS.

WACA Member
October 31, 2021 - 7:54 pm

tim tomlinson said
Burt,  I’ve noticed in your various postings that you have very nice rifles!  This is just one more example!  Now, which would you rather shoot?!   I did have to sneak mine to the range one day when I had it to myself and fire a couple of rounds through it, just because.  I don’t intend to make that a common occurrence.  Tim  

Tim – I sent you a PM. I have never shot a Model 76 in any caliber but If I was going to shoot one in 50 caliber I would absolutely want to have that shotgun butt. I used to have a Model 95 in .405 with a rifle butt that I put about 5 rounds thru – wicked, I thought it was going to rip my shoulder off. I used to be a hunter and have taken several large bears with large caliber guns so I have spent my time at the range shooting – nothing compared to the sharpness of the recoil from that .405 with the crescent butt.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 346
October 31, 2021 - 9:09 pm

Can I jump in with another Express that has similar features?   Here is 1876 Express rifle, SN 39,930 which the records say has pistol grip with checkered stock, shotgun butt, rubber butt plate, 26 inch round barrel with matting, half magazine, case hardened, platina sights, engraved.

This rifle was shipped with another almost identical gun on April 29, 1884.  Formerly in the collection of the late Walt Hallstein.  

39930-01.jpgImage Enlarger39930-02.jpgImage Enlarger39930-05.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

I call myself a collector as it sounds better than hoarder

WACA Member
October 31, 2021 - 11:51 pm

Bill Hockett said
Can I jump in with another Express that has similar features?   Here is 1876 Express rifle, SN 39,930 which the records say has pistol grip with checkered stock, shotgun butt, rubber butt plate, 26 inch round barrel with matting, half magazine, case hardened, platina sights, engraved.

This rifle was shipped with another almost identical gun on April 29, 1884.  Formerly in the collection of the late Walt Hallstein.  

Pretty early gun (1884) – good example of how the case hardening faded on the 76’s. I am a fan of matted barrels and the engraved hammer and magazine cap is a nice feature. I believe the Houze book indicated that round barrels predominate in the express caliber. Low production and low survivability means there are not nearly enough guns like this available for the collector demand – most Model 1876’s manufactured were standard grade guns.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4246
October 31, 2021 - 11:53 pm

I really like this rifle… the chambering, the engraving, the matted barrel… a great collectable for sure.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 581
November 1, 2021 - 3:33 pm

These are some most interesting and very attractive rifles!  Since Burt opened the door, let me add I have a deluxe 1895 in .405 in rather nice, original condition and beautiful wood!  The butt is the crescent steel rifle butt.  I have and continue to shoot it.  It is something folks need to experience at least once–what PAIN!  Most of the time, I put a slip on boot over the butt with a piece of soft pine whittled to fit the steel buttplate.  Not the size nor configuration of a true shotgun butt, but darn sure a whole lot better to shoot than with the steel crescent only!  Most of the time I shoot a true shotgun butt, standard model in .405 with a Jostem pad on it.  Much nicer shooting!  As to the 1876’s, these again are most attractive pieces of art!  Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4596
November 1, 2021 - 4:39 pm

Bill Hockett said

I can’t tell you how many times I lugged that gun in and out of gun shows.  I traveled with Walt for about 30 years.

Model 76’s don’t need a shotgun butt to absorb recoil.  They really don’t kick.  On the other hand all model 95’s are not comfortable to shoot even with a shotgun butt.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Darrin Smith, 92TXAG, Aussie Chris, jsgwoodsman
Guest(s) 149
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6358
TXGunNut: 5019
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4319
steve004: 4246