Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Total Newbie - Opinions on this Winchester Model 1866 for displaying purposes?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 28, 2023 - 6:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello everyone, it is a pleasure to meet you all.

I am looking to purchase “an authentic piece” from the American Frontier era, something that represents ranchers, cowboys etc as a display piece for my home. I never shot a gun in my life! I came across this online and would love the opinion of experts like you all.

https://ciscosgallery.com/collections/old-west-cowboy-firearms/products/winchester-model-1886-ae0654

I don’t care that it has been modified (cut), to be honest I like it even more – it adds character! Just wanted to have opinions – I don’t intend to make it functional or anything like that but I would love to have something really authentic. Might lightly clean it (carefully, no polishing or refinish) but that’s it.

Thank you very much for your time and have a great weekend!

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
January 28, 2023 - 7:17 pm

Hello Charles and welcome to the WACA website.

The Model 1886 rifle you are looking at is appropriately priced, and I would not recommend doing anything to it other than a cursory wipe down with a soft rag. Apply a very light coat of oil to the steel surfaces and clean the stocks with any quality wood furniture oil.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1728
January 28, 2023 - 7:49 pm

Welcome!

For display purposes at the asking price, this might be an okay purchase.  But I’d like to see it closer to $1500.  I’d offer that and then negotiate.

Having said that it is antique, which is good, but it lacks condition in addition to the cut barrel.  A rifle that costs you more with more condition would be a wiser purchase in the long run.  You say you have never fired a gun before but I get the impression you want to.  I would purchase a Model 1886 (which is what you are looking at, not a Model 1866 as it states in your title) chambered in .45 – 70, which is the only caliber in which the Model 1886 was chambered that is commercially readily available today.  That way you could fire this rifle if desired.

If you desire a rifle from the Frontier era, the Model 1886 is an okay choice, but the Models 1866, 1873, or 1876 are better choices.  A Model 1873 would be the most common and most affordable of these three choices.

WACA Guest
January 28, 2023 - 8:09 pm

Hello Bert and mrcvs, thank you so much for your detailed responses! I really appreciate it. Those are all great suggestions that I will keep in mind – I will keep searching for one of your recommendations. Have a great day!

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 28, 2023 - 8:19 pm

Welcome, Charles.

If you’re looking for a rustic display Winchester with a good bit of character I’d say you found it. It’s a bit heavy so please ensure the mount is sturdy. Most collectors value a gun based on condition but if rustic is what you want there is some value to an honest old working gun. Wouldn’t hurt to do a bit of haggling, I try not to invest that much in a wall hanger.

Be careful dabbling in this sort of thing, Winchesters are known to cause certain folks to spend considerable time and resources in their pursuit. It doesn’t matter that you don’t shoot, a surprising number of collectors seldom if ever fire the guns they collect. You’ve been warned, enjoy!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
January 28, 2023 - 8:42 pm

For a wall-hanger that will never be fired, a gun in this cond. is the perfect choice, though it would be perfecter if the price could be knocked down by $500 or so.  Never hurts to ask, & never believe a gun dealer who tells you “I’ve got more than that in it”; in fact, never believe anything a dealer tells you, like the phony story that ranchers commonly amputated barrels in this way.  However, for your specific purpose, it’s good someone did, as it dropped the collector value by several hundred.  An undesirable caliber is likewise a “good” thing for the same reason.  

WACA Guest
January 28, 2023 - 9:40 pm

Appreciate all the help guys, really! Thank you

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
January 28, 2023 - 11:18 pm

Charles,

The add says extra lightweight which it is not. It’s a cut down round barrel 1886 model rifle priced $800 high. I think a carbine or an octagon rifle in the same condition would display better. An old carbine would cost more but you could get an octagon rifle for $2000 or perhaps a model 1894 cheaper. A model 1894 in octagon, full magazine, and crescent butt is just as old cowboy west as a 1886.   Buying an original no condition working gun might have better resale when you decide to sell. T/R

WACA Member
January 28, 2023 - 11:46 pm

TR said
  Charles,

The add says extra lightweight which it is not. It’s a cut down round barrel 1886 model rifle priced $800 high. I think a carbine or an octagon rifle in the same condition would display better. An old carbine would cost more but you could get an octagon rifle for $2000 or perhaps a model 1894 cheaper. A model 1894 in octagon, full magazine, and crescent butt is just as old cowboy west as a 1886.   Buying an original no condition working gun might have better resale when you decide to sell. T/R

Yes, I meant to mention what you stated about octagon barrels but forgot.  A strike against the OPs rifle he may purchase is that it has a round barrel and octagon barrels are far more desirable.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
January 29, 2023 - 12:33 am

clarence said
For a wall-hanger that will never be fired, a gun in this cond. is the perfect choice, though it would be perfecter if the price could be knocked down by $500 or so.  Never hurts to ask, & never believe a gun dealer who tells you “I’ve got more than that in it”; in fact, never believe anything a dealer tells you, like the phony story that ranchers commonly amputated barrels in this way.  However, for your specific purpose, it’s good someone did, as it dropped the collector value by several hundred.  An undesirable caliber is likewise a “good” thing for the same reason.  

It’s already been marked down from $3500 to $2000 Laugh

My take – if the name “Gallery” is part of the name of the business – abandon the idea they’ll let something go for less than very overpriced.

WACA Guest
January 29, 2023 - 1:02 am

TR said
  Charles,

Hi TR – thank you so much for your comment. I’ll make sure to look into that instead!

NY
WACA Member
January 29, 2023 - 2:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Charles,  take a look at this Model 1873: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/968704925

It has too many defects to list, but as a wall-hanger it would do just fine.  The folks who advise you to spend more for a “better gun” have missed your point.

WACA Member
January 29, 2023 - 2:29 am

clarence said
Charles,  take a look at this Model 1873: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/968704925

It has too many defects to list, but as a wall-hanger it would do just fine.  The folks who advise you to spend more for a “better gun” have missed your point.  

No, I understand the OP wants a wall hanger but the OP also said he had never fired a firearm before and the tone of his language suggested he might want to do so.

Let’s kill two birds with one stone.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
January 29, 2023 - 12:28 pm

clarence said

I can’t even fathom how many stories this rifle has to tell.

NY
WACA Member
January 29, 2023 - 2:47 pm

steve004 said

I can’t even fathom how many stories this rifle has to tell.

Pretty sure I saw a photo of Geronimo holding this very gun!  Or one that looked just like it.  That beaded case is no fake.  I’d frame them both together, if I had it. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Russ Baltazar, Chris Scott
Guest(s) 198
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263