Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Suggestions on how to best Market an expensive, very "historical" 1866 carbine.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 235
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 16, 2015 - 3:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

In the Summer 2006 edition of the “Collector” I wrote an article dealing with the very extensive research I did on a Winchester Carbine, Model of 1866 and its involvement in the two most reknown Indian battles of the “Sioux Wars”. These battles having taken place at the Little Big Horn and 14 years later at Wounded Knee. The Carbine has been on loan to and on display at both the NRA Museums, in Fairfax, Va. and the NRA Whittington Center’s “Frank Brownell’s Museum of the West” since 2010. I now feel the time has come to pass my Winchester ’66 and my research material to another “Caretaker”. My question to all. How, in the opinion of you, the WACA Collectors, would be the best way to market this most historical firearm in order to achieve a “fair and reasonable” return? Although I would like to be in a position to outright donate this firearm to the NRA, I cannot. So please, some realistic ideas in this matter would be most helpful.

Thank you all in advance, Apache, Larry N.ConfusedConfused

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 356
August 16, 2015 - 8:21 pm

Larry,

You might contact the Smithsonian Museum. Just a thought.

Walter

WACA Guest
August 16, 2015 - 11:54 pm

Wally;

As a general rule most museums want you to donate or loan an item to them. Rarely if ever do they purchase. If they do, it’s usually “Patrons” of the museum that get together and buy it for the museum’s collection. Something for me to keep in mind however.

Apache, Larry N.FrownFrown

WACA Guest
August 17, 2015 - 3:51 am

Larry,

That is interesting info on museums. Isn’t the Smithsonian a Gubment organization? Hell, they never run out of money; they will just print more. You are a bull, so go for it. In my opinion, your only other option is large auction houses.

Walter

WACA Guest
August 17, 2015 - 7:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Wally;

Yes the Smithsonian is a Gov’t run museum, but they operate on an annual budget. The Smithsonian has only a limited amount of cash with which to purchase an item for their collection. The Treasury Department is the one that “Prints”. Anyway, I try to have little to do with our Government these days. I pay my taxes on time, and pretty much remain “Apolitical”. At least when in a Public Forum. Wally, you by this time know what I generally think of the big Auction Houses. I don’t however know about some of the lesser known Houses, the ones with a good “Client List”. Something to look into.

LarryCoolCoolCoolCoolWinkWink

WACA Guest
August 18, 2015 - 1:46 am

Larry,

I bet the Smithsonian does not know about your 1866 carbine or research and history. James Julia, some years ago, sold the only proven Winchester used at the Little Big Horn battle for around 700k. They have also sold a Colt Walker for 900k. I do not think all expensive firearms sold at auction end up in private hands.

Walter

WACA Guest
August 20, 2015 - 3:36 pm

To All;

I’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to market my ’66 carbine will be through the “Private” market. Although the monetary investment in both advertizing and promotion will be high, It should bring me the best results. All of my research and testing of the 1866, including examination under Electron Microscopes, amongst other devises, will hold up to being scrutinized by any interested party willing to have this Winchester checked for themselves. My extensive research into the history of my Winchester, has been laid out in a step by step procedure in my published article, the steps easily followed by any potential buyer. I think this venue is the only way to go, and the investment by me should be well worth it. I wish to give special thanks to those on this forum that have given me insite and suggestions in how best to proceed in this matter.

Apache, Larry N.

WACA Guest
August 22, 2015 - 2:02 am

Larry,

Good luck on your sale. Keep us informed.

Walter

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4321
steve004: 4248
Big Larry: 2341