Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Forum Posts: 960
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 20, 2020 - 10:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Thank you.  I’m glad you are enjoying it.  Everyone involved appreciates the complement.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
April 20, 2020 - 7:07 pm

Got mine on Saturday.  How appropriate that it has the article on the ammo boxes.

Forum Posts: 960
April 21, 2020 - 1:05 pm

I hope you like the article Chuck, thank you.  

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
April 23, 2020 - 1:21 pm

I too really appreciate the ammo boxes article.  About 20 years ago I bought a really nice Model 70 chambered for 300 H&H Magnum.  It came with a box of shells that I hadn’t been able to identify.  The rifle is in really nice condition.  Serial #18434 and was purchased by the previous owner from the SOCAL Oil Company when San Francisco passed a law to remove weapons from on board ships coming into the Bay.  The gun had been on board a tanker and used for mine clearing during WWII in the Indian Ocean.  Good story and great rifle.   Roger B

300-HH-BOX-001.JPGImage Enlarger300-HH-BOX-002.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
April 23, 2020 - 4:04 pm

rogertherelic said
The gun had been on board a tanker and used for mine clearing during WWII in the Indian Ocean.  Good story and great rifle.   Roger B

It IS both a good story & a great rifle, but think I’d take the “story” with a big grain of salt: think about hitting a mine bobbing in the ocean from a ship doing the same.  If the mine could be clearly seen, wouldn’t it be safer for the ship to change course, & call in a minesweeper or other armed vessel?  By the time of WW II, I think most mines were various subsurface designs, so that they could not be spotted.

WACA Member
April 23, 2020 - 7:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

rogertherelic said
I too really appreciate the ammo boxes article.  About 20 years ago I bought a really nice Model 70 chambered for 300 H&H Magnum.  It came with a box of shells that I hadn’t been able to identify.  The rifle is in really nice condition.  Serial #18434 and was purchased by the previous owner from the SOCAL Oil Company when San Francisco passed a law to remove weapons from on board ships coming into the Bay.  The gun had been on board a tanker and used for mine clearing during WWII in the Indian Ocean.  Good story and great rifle.   Roger B

300-HH-BOX-001.JPGImage Enlarger300-HH-BOX-002.JPGImage Enlarger  

Chevron used to be called the Standard Oil Company of California. Unical/76/Conoco Phillips used to be called the Union Oil Company of California.  My guess is that it was Standard Oil.  Their headquarters was in San Francisco.  The box of ammo is from the mid to late 1930’s up to the start of WW II.  Many things disappeared after the war.  Manufacturing was halted for the war production and many things didn’t survive.  Unpopular ammunition was never loaded again and ammo boxes changed labels.  Ray’s book says that even though it is not marked this was actually loaded by Western Cartridge Co. at the East Alton facility and is the only 2 piece box with this style label ever loaded for the 300 H&H.  Western purchased Winchester in 1931.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
April 23, 2020 - 9:57 pm

Thank you Chuck.  That’s great information.  The seller, said he had been a ship’s pilot and was on the H. D. Collier in the Indian Ocean.  This was the second tanker of that name.  The first H. D. Collier had been sunk by a Japanese sub and that tanker was replaced by a larger tanker of the same name.  I never thought to ask him why they just didn’t go around the mine fields. He did say that there were two of the model 70s on board and the one in my possession was the better of the two.  He had purchased both guns when they were offered for sale.  He said he sold the lesser of the two to a friend.  Back then there weren’t many laws about transferring used firearms.  Anyway, all I have for province is a typed, unsigned letter stating the above.  The firearm also has a period Lyman “Alaskan” scope in a Redfield mount.  The extra hole in the receiver would also lower the value I’m sure.  Just a very nice 98% “old shooter”.

Roger B

WACA Member
April 24, 2020 - 5:05 pm

Roger, after thinking about my post I should have mentioned that Western was owned by Olin.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., dimrod
Guest(s) 208
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261