Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Please help me with my 1873 shipping plan.
April 12, 2021
7:13 pm
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Greetings all,

I'm making arrangements to have a family heirloom 1873 shipped from NY to AZ (https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/1st-post-1873-38-40-inbound/).  Any advice is appreciated. Here is what I'm considering pending your suggestions:

(I searched but couldn't find the specifics I'm looking for)

Looking to buy the case new and have it and locks drop shipped to local friend that I trust. He will pick it up from my elderly relative to save him the trouble of shipping the rifle.

Can I use this case without the foam cutouts for the rifle? 50.5" interior length, so it looks long enough for an 1873.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/long-case/protector/1750

Should I get any sort of protective cloth sleeve to put on the rifle?

Then have it boxed in cardboard and shipped. What shipper USPS/FedEx/UPS???

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

April 12, 2021
8:53 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 747

I don't know which is the "best" shipper, but I've had several shipped to Me from U.S. to Canada via USPS and haven't had any issues. Sounds like You have the packing down pat, although I've never used a case. I usually use ample bubble wrap  and several layers of cardboard, in a gun box from the local gun store, and do the ends and edges with Duct tape. I usually take the butt stock off and wrap it seperately, it also makes a smaller package, and in case You were thinking , I believe You cannot ship ammo with the gun, at least in Canada You're not supposed to. Good Luck

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

April 12, 2021
10:30 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 475
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

I've shipped and had guns shipped to me in the past via USPS without issue, BUT WOULD NOT DO IT NOW, under any circumstance. Since COVID sending anything via USPS is a roll of the dice. I'd recommend UPS. 

Here's how I ship long guns and have never had any damage. 

IMG_2523-1.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

April 12, 2021
10:53 pm
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4811

When ever I had a problem shipping in the past it was that a sight would get bent or broken or the hammer was sticking out of the box. Even if the gun is in a hard case you have to keep it from sliding around in the case. This is how I shipped one just a few months ago without a problem. I cut a template out of 1" foam and then bubble wrapped the sights and hammer. Put in the case and taped up then put 1/4 plywood on each side and then in a plain card box with plenty of tape. Now if it was deluxe grade wood then I would remove the stock and package it separately and then I put a old cut off stock in the tangs to keep them from getting bent.

Bob

IMG_20201206_152213498_HDR.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_20201206_153426846_HDR.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: bob.1873man@gmail.com

April 12, 2021
11:37 pm
WACA Guest

My search of the forums did locate a thread where USPS had pretty badly damaged a stock recently.  

I'll go with my original plan using either UPS or FedEx.  I use Pelican Cases for shipping many sensitive work related items. The case might get damaged, but the contents typically survive unscathed.

Kevin, that looks like a silicone treated gun sock. Will that harm the rifle in any way?

Thanks,

Matt

April 12, 2021
11:55 pm
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4811

Matt,

I have used them for many years and had no issues

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: bob.1873man@gmail.com

April 12, 2021
11:59 pm
WACA Guest

Perfect!  Thanks!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt

April 13, 2021
2:10 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 156

Kevin Jones said
I've shipped and had guns shipped to me in the past via USPS without issue, BUT WOULD NOT DO IT NOW, under any circumstance. Since COVID sending anything via USPS is a roll of the dice. I'd recommend UPS. 

Here's how I ship long guns and have never had any damage. 

IMG_2523-1.jpgImage Enlarger  

Exactly my set-up as well.

April 13, 2021
11:20 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2593

I have never shipped a gun but I know that the local auction house ships hundreds of guns through Fed Ex.  Like others have said pad and pack it well.  A cheap case can't hurt.  Put it in another cardboard box to disguise what is being shipped.  Some people go out of their way to mess with guns during shipment. 

May 2, 2021
9:52 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 23

Personal experience:

Even if you fully insure through FedEx, Even if you have an expert appraisal, Even if you have it professionally packed, Even if you take your item directly to a FedEx facility - IF your item suffers damage while being shipped to Sotheby's, and part of your item's value is due to it's age FedEx Will Not Pay! They won't even refund the $200+ you paid for additional insurance.

The only saving grace was that I had the item listed on my homeowner's policy - They DID pay.

Anyone that needs details just ask me.

May 4, 2021
9:03 pm
WACA Guest

However I get this rifle back to the West, where it belongs, I will independently insure it first!!!

Thanks for the heads-up on FedEx!

Matt

May 5, 2021
1:40 am
SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 620

I have gotten all my Winchester 22's by FedEx and I always request that the gun be shipped in a hard case . I also send an extra $20 for the trouble. So far after over 35 rifles never a problem.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

May 5, 2021
4:00 am
California
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 444

For me, FedEx Second Day Super Saver has been excellent, and reasonably priced, based on the importance of the rifle to you.

Also, I believe it is handled the least in the shipping process, thus less chance of damage. Kevin’s packaging is spot on.

Bill

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 628

Currently Online: steve004, JWA, Kevin Jones
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 16

Topics: 8656

Member Stats: