Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Pics Added:1st Post, 1873 38-40 inbound
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 11, 2021 - 4:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Greetings all!

Family heirloom coming home shortly. Reclaiming even 1 firearm from this historic family collection is a childhood and adult dream come true!!!

A couple of you saw this rifle I posted on the online gun values board (Bert H and 1873Man), but here it is for this board to see.

38-40 caliber, S/N 200721 B

March 1886 manufacture.

I’ve sent for its letter as well.

This is the only pic I have so far. I expect to have it in hand within a week or 2. I will post more pics and details then. 

I grew up literally in this firearms collection as it occupied most of my great grandparents home in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. Undoubtedly, many of you own historic firearms from this collection. The most valuable were sold off when I was young and the rest of the collection when my Granny passed in 1988. I was not told of the estate sale out of fear that I would be upset.  As a poor college student I couldn’t have done much, but who needs a car, I’d have bought what I could!!!

I’m trying to locate the collection inventory records. I pray they still exist, I suspect they will make some owners very happy as they reportedly held a lot of detail on each firearm!

My hope is to reclaim a least 1 representative firearm of each type from this collection.  #1 is on its way!

Thanks in advance for all your knowledge!

Matt

1873 WinchesterImage Enlarger

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
April 11, 2021 - 11:39 pm

Thanks Limestone!

Getting this rifle has rekindled my often delayed dream of putting together a representative sample of this once epic collection.

I’ll boast on the former collection a bit.  It contained firearms, well documented ones, belonging to wild west outlaws and Civil War Generals from both sides.

That’s why the old inventory records are vitally important. I’m not likely to get one of those, but one can dream!

Take care!

Matt

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
April 12, 2021 - 12:54 am

Appears to be a very nice 1873, though it’s hard tp tell much from the photo. Congrats! 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

WACA Guest
April 12, 2021 - 1:44 pm

Thanks Kevin! I’ll post up more once its in my hands.

Matt

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
August 26, 2021 - 4:47 am

Quick update. It has been a bit of a process. I’m securing insurance (Eastern) this week prior to shipment.  

I had a new Pelican 1750 double rifle case drop shipped to my relative along with rifle socks, tape and locks. Happily, upon discovery it was a double rifle case he decided to send me a send me a second rifle from our long lost family collection.

So I’m getting a sweet 1873 in 38-40 and a mid-1900’s .22 Marlin 39A lever action with factory scope(I believe). He’s keeping the Red Ryder.

Here is a pic of My incoming rifles

Please note the bluing on the 1873 looks pretty amazing in this new pic. At least to my untrained eye.

Take care!

Matt

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
September 17, 2021 - 1:52 pm

I secured the 1873 last night. It and a pristine and scoped up Marlin 39A arrived at my 2nd cousin FFL Tuesday.  

His usual UPS driver was on vacation so the contract driver left them propped against the door without a signature.  BEWARE UPS.  Fortunately they were not stolen nor damaged. Pelican1750 in a cardboard box performed nicely!  His usual driver has his cell number and will call whenever he has a package coming. He prefers USPS because they’ll hold packages at the post office if not deliverable.

Back to the rifle, it is in better condition than the previously depicted. A few use marks here and there, but a very nice (and correct) patina to the blueing, no signs of work, wood looks to fit perfectly, bore looks great, and not abused. Although I did spot 1 or 2 buggerd up screw slots, but most looked un or only lightly touched.

Pics shortly as soon as I can line up my work photographer.  She’s awesome, and also the owner of a family heirloom 1873 out of Oklahoma!

I will need some help cleaning it.  It sat in a closet untouched for 55 years in a gun sleeve that degraded badly. I think the dust cover was open the entire time leaving a fibrous gummy mess in the action where the decomposed padding combined with gun oil. This left the action feeling just a gummy and still as you would expect. Trigger is surprisingly crisp, better than some Glocks I’ve hadLaugh

I’m super interested to hear the board’s evaluation once I get pics and the letter posted.

Thanks,

Matt

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
September 21, 2021 - 1:41 am

Glad your rifle made it safely, my UPS driver left a rifle at my back door awhile back but it was difficult to see from the road. I think my regular driver was off too. They’re all pretty good at hiding stuff but I was very relieved to find it there.

Looking forward to the pics but don’t rush the initial cleaning on our account. Take your time and proceed with caution, if you have any questions post some pics and ask questions.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
September 25, 2021 - 5:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

DSC00246-1.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00247-1.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00248-1.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00249.JPGImage Enlarger

DSC00250.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
September 25, 2021 - 5:30 am

DSC00251.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00252.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00253.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00254.JPGImage Enlarger

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
September 25, 2021 - 5:48 am

DSC00255.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00256.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00257.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00259.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00260.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00261.JPGImage Enlarger

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
September 25, 2021 - 5:58 am

DSC00262.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00263.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00264.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00265.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00267.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00268.JPGImage Enlarger

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
September 25, 2021 - 6:04 am

DSC00269.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00270.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00271.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00272.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00273.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00274.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00275.JPGImage Enlarger

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
September 25, 2021 - 6:25 am

DSC00279.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00280-1.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00284.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00287-1.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00286-1.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00285-1.JPGImage Enlarger

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Guest
September 25, 2021 - 6:36 am

DSC00288.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00298.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00295.JPGImage EnlargerDSC00300.JPGImage Enlarger

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
September 25, 2021 - 7:16 am

Matt, I can appreciate your effort to find those old guns that used to be in the family.  Ive seen a couple of guns from my dads collection from the 60-70’s show up on some of the big auction sites in the last 10 years.  Unfortunately my pockets arent deep enough to bring any back home. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4281
September 25, 2021 - 2:21 pm

Matt,

I wouldn’t clean the exterior of the gun just the bore and the exposed breech interior that you can see with a tooth brush or Q-tip to get rid of the fuzz.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1071
September 26, 2021 - 12:42 am

I like it Matthew, congratulations. Now it begins for You.lol

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
September 26, 2021 - 2:52 am

1873man said
Matt,

I wouldn’t clean the exterior of the gun just the bore and the exposed breech interior that you can see with a tooth brush or Q-tip to get rid of the fuzz.

Bob  

Sounds good. Some of the stuff inside the gun may be corrosive or it may be just dust & lint. Exterior looks like an honest gun. Cleaning the interior may prevent further deterioration, aggressively cleaning the exterior may decrease the value. I’d clean the bore & action and shoot it. How’s the bore look?

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
September 26, 2021 - 7:26 am

Thanks all!!! 

Mike, as to the bore, I can see the rifling but it is obscured by that darn yellow fuzz that’s in everything. The yellow fuzz is from the gun sleeve padding that deteriorated over the 56 years it sat in the back of my 2nd cousin’s closet. 

Henry, LOL, I’ve always had the obsession, but now its burning a bit hotter! Watched a few Colt Bisley’s and SSA’s in 38-40 over the weekend. Wow, they’re pricey! I’d like to have a set as carried originally.

Based on everyones feedback, I’ll get the internals cleaned up and oiled lightly, hopefully the internals are in good working order. 

Can anyone comment on the brass floor plate shown here sitting low when the action is closed? I’d think it should be flush with the bottom of the receiver. DSC00279-1.JPGImage Enlarger

Anything else your guys can tell me about this rifle would be helpful. I’ll get the letter up shortly, it showed nothing special, pretty standard sounding 1873 in 38-40 by the letter.

Bob, would it have come with the tang tapped and plugged if it didn’t come with a tang sight? Or was the tang tapped later?

Should I wax the exterior as suggested in the NRA Museum care guide?

Lastly, so is it a collector, or a shooter, and any values estimates?

Thanks again!

Matt

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 26, 2021 - 12:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Matt.

Your gun is a third model rifle and the tang sight holes would have been standard.

From the pictures your gun looks to have traces of original blue with color added at a later date, possibly cold blue or browning solution. Products like G96, WD40, and other cleaning/rust removers can remove the smooze but will destroy the aged look. Just plain motor oil on a rag won’t, it’s the best thing on the metal surfaces but keep it off the wood. As to the wood wax is good.

Collectible gun, value $1500. nice example of an old 1873. The value to you as a family heirloom is priceless, enjoy it. T/R

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: renegade, clarence, Byron Russell, TR, [email protected], Dave M.
Guest(s) 14
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291
TR: 1710