Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
1st Post, 1873 38-40 inbound
April 11, 2021
4:01 am
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Greetings all!

Family heirloom coming home shortly. Reclaiming even 1 firearm from this historic family collection is a childhood and adult dream come true!!!

A couple of you saw this rifle I posted on the online gun values board (Bert H and 1873Man), but here it is for this board to see.

38-40 caliber, S/N 200721 B

March 1886 manufacture.

I’ve sent for its letter as well.

This is the only pic I have so far. I expect to have it in hand within a week or 2. I will post more pics and details then. 

I grew up literally in this firearms collection as it occupied most of my great grandparents home in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. Undoubtedly, many of you own historic firearms from this collection. The most valuable were sold off when I was young and the rest of the collection when my Granny passed in 1988. I was not told of the estate sale out of fear that I would be upset.  As a poor college student I couldn’t have done much, but who needs a car, I’d have bought what I could!!!

I’m trying to locate the collection inventory records. I pray they still exist, I suspect they will make some owners very happy as they reportedly held a lot of detail on each firearm!

My hope is to reclaim a least 1 representative firearm of each type from this collection.  #1 is on its way!

Thanks in advance for all your knowledge!

Matt

1873 WinchesterImage Enlarger

April 11, 2021
12:19 pm
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 233

Matt, I’m happy that your getting an opportunity, to acquire a Family Heirloom. That right there is what it’s all about! Stay Vigilant, and Positive. You never know what the future holds, and you just might be able to reassemble most, or many of the Collection. I’ve seen, and helped others in similar situations! Many of us Collectors would do all we could if we knew where, or had a way to help you get the Family Collection back together! As much as we love our Winchester’s, putting them back into a Family Collection, would be pretty Cool!CoolGood Luck!

April 11, 2021
11:39 pm
WACA Guest

Thanks Limestone!

Getting this rifle has rekindled my often delayed dream of putting together a representative sample of this once epic collection.

I’ll boast on the former collection a bit.  It contained firearms, well documented ones, belonging to wild west outlaws and Civil War Generals from both sides.

That’s why the old inventory records are vitally important. I’m not likely to get one of those, but one can dream!

Take care!

Matt

April 12, 2021
12:54 am
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 485

Appears to be a very nice 1873, though it’s hard tp tell much from the photo. Congrats! 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

April 12, 2021
1:44 pm
WACA Guest

Thanks Kevin! I’ll post up more once its in my hands.

Matt

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 628

Currently Online:
44 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 16

Topics: 8752

Member Stats: