Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Original 1885 ?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 22, 2021 - 3:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I just checked out the Lyman #8.  The smaller side of the base, which goes in first, is at the opposite end of the lever to adjust the windage.  This makes the adjuster on the right side.  The markings for this sight are on the top left of the base.  So, you don’t stare down the bore just the top side of the sight.

RickC
WACA Guest
January 22, 2021 - 3:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Found this for those wanting a photo.

3D28C083-6C9B-4DAF-9A60-1D021F95547F.jpegImage Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
January 22, 2021 - 6:25 pm

RickC said
Found this for those wanting a photo.

3D28C083-6C9B-4DAF-9A60-1D021F95547F.jpegImage Enlarger  

That’s it.  The picture shows the lever on the right in it’s folded down position.

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 298
January 22, 2021 - 9:43 pm

My 1885 has the Globe Windage front sight also. The insert is a very fine vertical post with a tiny ball on top. I am curious o know how these inserts were changed. It appears as though the insert fits ito a slot about midway on the globe.  I wil try to post a photo soon. I would not want to damage the insert as it is the only one that I have.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
January 22, 2021 - 11:55 pm

Dave,

To swap the insert, you pull/slide the “U” shaped clip towards you with the muzzle pointed down-range. With the U shaped clip out, the insert lifts straight up out of the globe. The aperture you have is the “pin” style. When target shooting, I prefer the “ring” style insert.

Montana Vintage Arms offers a very nice reproduction of the Winchester Wind Gauge Globe sight, and also a wide selection of inserts (more than what Winchester originally offered). https://montanavintagearms.com/product/117118-winchester-style-windage-globe-sight/

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
January 23, 2021 - 12:54 am

Bert H. said
Dave,
To swap the insert, you pull/slide the “U” shaped clip towards you with the muzzle pointed down-range. With the U shaped clip out, the insert lifts straight up out of the globe. The aperture you have is the “pin” style. When target shooting, I prefer the “ring” style insert.
Montana Vintage Arms offers a very nice reproduction of the Winchester Wind Gauge Globe sight, and also a wide selection of inserts (more than what Winchester originally offered). https://montanavintagearms.com/product/117118-winchester-style-windage-globe-sight/
Bert  

Bert, Thank you. I will look into acquiring additional inserts. 

I had a look at my gun since I didn’t know that there was supposed to be a U shaped clip and sure enough there 

isn’t. I removed aperture insert which has likely never been out in 100 years and cleaned it and the sight slot out with solvent . Now to find a U shaped clip! That will be a challenge.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1071
January 23, 2021 - 3:41 pm

Now talk about 1885’s and factory letters check out G.I. #101558954 by Goodman Guns. deciphering that letter correctly would be a night mare. He give quite a description with a lot of speculation, which may be right, but that would be a gun with a long explanation. Whadaya think.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 23, 2021 - 4:08 pm

Dave K. said

Now to find a U shaped clip! That will be a challenge.  

Not if MVA’s will fit.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
January 23, 2021 - 4:10 pm

Henry Mero said
Now talk about 1885’s and factory letters check out G.I. #101558954 by Goodman Guns. deciphering that letter correctly would be a night mare. He give quite a description with a lot of speculation, which may be right, but that would be a gun with a long explanation. Whadaya think.  

I think this rifle has come up here before.  I seem to recall not everyone was buying his explanation.  I think he’s had the rifle a while.

NY
WACA Member
January 23, 2021 - 4:19 pm

Henry Mero said
Now talk about 1885’s and factory letters check out G.I. # by Goodman Guns. deciphering that letter correctly would be a night mare. He give quite a description with a lot of speculation, which may be right, but that would be a gun with a long explanation. Whadaya think.  

This same gun has been discussed before not too long ago.  His claim that it may be the only .30 US thick-side may be true, but that’s only because it’s an early gun re-barreled many yrs later.  Interesting, but don’t think it adds any additional value to gun.

NY
WACA Member
January 23, 2021 - 4:28 pm

steve004 said

I think this rifle has come up here before.  I seem to recall not everyone was buying his explanation.  I think he’s had the rifle a while.  

HIS explanation is irrelevant, as the letter explains how the gun came to have that brl.  He’s lucky it does, because more often than not, the letters that show a “R&R” do not explain what was done–kind of negligent, but that’s the way it was usually done.  Possibly orders from Meacham was granted special attention.

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
January 23, 2021 - 5:29 pm

clarence said

Not if MVA’s will fit. 

clarence said

Not if MVA’s will fit.  

I am going to contact MVA and see if they will sell just the clip and get the measurements to compare. I have owned the  gun for almost 50 years and never knew it was missing the clip. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
January 23, 2021 - 5:45 pm

We did discuss this rifle before, and as I mentioned in that topic, this rifle was not the first high-wall made for the 30 U.S., nor was it the only high-wall with the thick-side receiver frame. A fair amount of Bill’s musings about it in his auction listing are simply that, and are not accurate. The CFM factory letter contains a number of ledger record interpretation errors. S/Ns 5770, 5771, 5772, and 5773 were all originally shipped to E.C. Meachum as 45-2⅞ SHARPS, then were returned in October of 1894 and all four rifles were rebarrelled with a 30-inch No. 3 round Nickel Steel barrel chambered for the 30 U.S. cartridge. One of the rebarrelled rifles was received back in the warehouse on February 13th, 1895, and two more of them on February 27th, 1895. Those three rifles predate the first Model 1894 in 30 WCF by 3-months, making them the first Smokeless powder Sporting Rifles manufactured by Winchester. Based on his description, I believe that Bill Goodman has serial number 5772.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: cj57, 426crown, tionesta1, clarence, rogertherelic, Valonghunter, gene66
Guest(s) 141
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291
TR: 1710