Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Opinion on a 1892
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 32
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 9, 2020 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I would like to get y’alls opinion on a 1892 that I have. I’m ok with most firearms judging the value but this is a tad bit over my head.1892-deluxe-Winchester-001.JPGImage Enlarger1892-deluxe-Winchester-002.JPGImage Enlarger1892-deluxe-Winchester-003.JPGImage Enlarger1892-deluxe-Winchester-005.JPGImage Enlarger1892-deluxe-Winchester-006.JPGImage Enlarger1892-deluxe-Winchester-009.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
December 9, 2020 - 7:30 pm

Very handsome ’92 does it letter, what cal., what ser#, etc.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Guest
December 9, 2020 - 7:35 pm

Its in 25-20 WCF with a mint bore. It does letter but all it says is pistol grip, 25-20 caliber. Serial 367XXX Mfg 1906

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
December 9, 2020 - 8:18 pm

I recently sold a twin to Your gun ser#616609 in pristine cond. for $12000.00 Canadian so $app8500.00 U.S. and I just shipped a ’92  today in 32-20 with 26″ oct bbl. , p.g. plain wood , chekrd  app 60% finish app. $5000.00 U.S. if this helps

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
December 9, 2020 - 8:27 pm

Shortgrub said
Its in 25-20 WCF with a mint bore. It does letter but all it says is pistol grip, 25-20 caliber. Serial 367XXX Mfg 1906  

The letter should mention checkered and fancy wood?

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
December 10, 2020 - 3:23 am

Chuck said

The letter should mention checkered and fancy wood?  

I think it should also mention the OB and it would be really cool if the sights lettered. Super sweet rifle! 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
December 10, 2020 - 12:25 pm

I stand corrected. It is not a factory letter. Just a search letter from Cody firearm research. It does state octagon barrel and checkered. Nothing about XX wood.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
December 10, 2020 - 2:11 pm

Shortgrub, Seldom is the grade of wood listed in the letter. Please list exactly what it says on the search, the search has everything the letter has. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
December 10, 2020 - 6:59 pm

This is a very nice 92 and in the configuration most collectors want – the preference may be for a 44 but when a gun is this nice I would not squabble about the caliber. After reading the first couple of posts it sounded like the wood would not match factory records which did not seem right to me because from the photos it just screams originality. A 92 is the hardest model to find in a “deluxe”, especially one early enough to letter. Fairly recently, another deluxe 92, same configuration but in 44 was noted for sale and discussed at length in the Forum – some of you may recall it as having had the hammer replaced. The price on that one was $28,500 – reflecting how difficult these are to find, especially with condition.

WACA Guest
December 10, 2020 - 7:33 pm

001.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
December 10, 2020 - 7:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

TXGunNut said

I think it should also mention the OB and it would be really cool if the sights lettered. Super sweet rifle! 

Mike  

Mike you are right about the barrel.  I am wrong about listing the wood as fancy.  No mention of any type about the wood except pistol grip and checkered.

EDIT:  While I was posting this he posted the research letter.  It all makes sense now. 

Burt, I am still in contact with the seller of the 44.  Haven’t looked lately if it has sold?

WACA Guest
December 10, 2020 - 7:35 pm

I hope this helps.

WACA Member
December 10, 2020 - 7:40 pm

Shortgrub said
I hope this helps.  

It clears everything up.  You have a very nice 92.  5 figures is not out of the question.

WACA Guest
December 10, 2020 - 7:41 pm

Chuck, can you explain how it all comes together with the letter? Should sights be mentioned?

WACA Member
December 10, 2020 - 7:48 pm

Shortgrub said
001.jpgImage Enlarger  

What you received from the Cody Records Office is pretty typical for notes in the factory ledger – example of mine attached.

92dlx-1.JPGImage Enlarger

92ltr.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
December 10, 2020 - 8:08 pm

Chuck said

TXGunNut said

Mike  

Mike you are right about the barrel.  I am wrong about listing the wood as fancy.  No mention of any type about the wood except pistol grip and checkered.

EDIT:  While I was posting this he posted the research letter.  It all makes sense now. 

Burt, I am still in contact with the seller of the 44.  Haven’t looked lately if it has sold?  

The gun is still shown for sale on Guns International – it is not shown on the J.E Cauthen website.

WACA Member
December 10, 2020 - 8:08 pm

Shortgrub said
Chuck, can you explain how it all comes together with the letter? Should sights be mentioned?  

Sights would be mentioned if they put on sights other than standard.  Your front sight and the tang sight do not letter.  They were put on later.  Don’t worry about the sights they are desirable and if someone has to have the original set up they can buy a front sight and take the tang sight off.  I surely wouldn’t bother.

I’m not sure what you mean, “can you explain how it all comes together with the letter”?  What specifically are you asking.   It is as manufactured except the addition of the sights.

WACA Guest
December 10, 2020 - 8:25 pm

Burt, that’s a mighty nice 92 pictured. Just asking if the description in the letter matched the rifle close enough. I understand now. So the value of this rifle would be between $8500-$10000? Is there anyone around Ky., Tn., area that I could get a hands on appraisal? 

WACA Member
December 10, 2020 - 11:23 pm

Shortgrub said
Burt, that’s a mighty nice 92 pictured. Just asking if the description in the letter matched the rifle close enough. I understand now. So the value of this rifle would be between $8500-$10000? Is there anyone around Ky., Tn., area that I could get a hands on appraisal?   

I am not qualified to do appraisals and I never offer my opinion regarding the value of another man’s gun. If you don’t have a copy of the Red Book, get one – they are currently on sale for $30 on the WACA website. One of the authors stated here on the Forum recently that prices were down from the values in the book – but, not for the good stuff – and what you have is good stuff. Do your research and don’t sell yourself short. A 92 deluxe is hard to find especially when original, correct and with features which letter.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
December 11, 2020 - 5:25 am

Shortgrub said

IMHO you have an exceptional 1892 and you are right to seek a professional appraisal. I think the experts around here can get you very close but all would like to handle the rifle before giving their best opinion. I think for folks like me the sights add value even if not original. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: dimrod, deerhunter
Guest(s) 248
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323