Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Flute on 1894 stock question
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Dominic421
WACA Guest
January 10, 2018 - 12:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello

I am new here but have been learning alot. I have owned and hunted exclusively with lever action 94’s and 92’s for many years. I am now starting to grab a few higher end guns because … I like e’m.

Now for my question. I have an 1894 takedown rifle made in 1915. It looks like an unaltered gun but has a fluted comb.

Other features are half magazine, shotgun butt, 26 inch extra lightweight barrel and a rubber butt plate. Yup it looks just like a model 55. But its a 94.

Any chance the butt stock is original?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 11, 2018 - 1:17 am

Yes, the odds are very good that it is original. The fluted comb butt stocks were first seen (used) on the Model 1894 at least as early as 1913. In all cases were a fluted comb butt stock was used, it was fitted with a shotgun butt, and with the black hard rubber butt plate being the most common type. What is the serial number and the caliber of your ELW? I have (4) ELW TD rifles listed in my survey that were made in 1915.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 78
January 11, 2018 - 1:49 am

Bert

Thanks for your response. Sn is 753558 caliber is 30 WCF. Very nice condition with a fair amount of flaking on the receiver.

Looks like another 1915. Any of the 4 in your survey fluted?

If you need any other info let me know.

New member that posted this as a guest because I goofed.

Dominic

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 11, 2018 - 4:28 am

Dominic,

I mentioned the (4) because they all have a fluted comb butt stock. In total, I have (6) Model 1894 ELW rifles with a fluted comb butt stock with serial numbers earlier than your ELW rifle.

Bert

WACA Guest
January 11, 2018 - 3:29 pm

Bert

Thank you. As you and others have probably noticed I was new to using this forum and ended up posting this request twice. Once as a guest and once as a member. Sorry won’t do that again.

I got responses from you and two others and unlike other forums that in my opinion are full of junk and misinformation I got three responses from people who have actual knowledge. No absolutes but good fact based opinions from knowledgeable folks.

Great work and thanks to all.

Dominic

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
January 11, 2018 - 3:48 pm
I have a Model 94 made in 1923 that has the fluted comb with a serrated steel shotgun buttplate.  It’s a 32 W.S. rifle in Take Down.

(Think I posted this on the wrong thread yesterday.)

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2348
January 11, 2018 - 4:18 pm

Bert, I think you have mine. # 927896, PR 2-15-1921. 1/2 magazine, fluted stock with the 4 1/2″ composition butt plate. It is a 32 Win. Special. No saddle ring.   Big Larry

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 11, 2018 - 4:44 pm

Wincacher said

I have a Model 94 made in 1923 that has the fluted comb with a serrated steel shotgun buttplate.  It’s a 32 W.S. rifle in Take Down.

Do I have the specifics for this rifle?

Bert

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 11, 2018 - 4:50 pm

[email protected] said
Bert

Thank you. As you and others have probably noticed I was new to using this forum and ended up posting this request twice. Once as a guest and once as a member. Sorry won’t do that again.

I got responses from you and two others and unlike other forums that in my opinion are full of junk and misinformation I got three responses from people who have actual knowledge. No absolutes but good fact based opinions from knowledgeable folks.

Great work and thanks to all.

Dominic  

You are welcome.  We do have a lot of knowledgeable WACA members here on the forums who are always willing to help anyone looking for information, and we collectively strive to provide accurate information concerning out favorite subject… old Winchesters!

Bert

New Mexico
WACA Guest
January 11, 2018 - 4:52 pm

Bert H. said

Wincacher said

Do I have the specifics for this rifle?

Bert  

Don’t know.  SN 928961 – if you don’t have it I’ll send you all the specs.

1876-4-1.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 11, 2018 - 5:46 pm

Wincacher said

Don’t know.  SN 928961 – if you don’t have it I’ll send you all the specs.  

I do have it in the survey… it was actually manufactured in 1921 versus 1923.

Bert

New Mexico
WACA Guest
January 11, 2018 - 5:54 pm

Bert H. said

I do have it in the survey… it was actually manufactured in 1921 versus 1923.

Bert  

No doubt about the 1921 vintage.  I bought this one over 40 years ago and apparently on my master inventory list have not updated the DOM dates from what I originally had (Madis?).  Will do so now.

1876-4-1.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
January 12, 2018 - 9:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said
Yes, the odds are very good that it is original. The fluted comb butt stocks were first seen (used) on the Model 1894 at least as early as 1913. In all cases were a fluted comb butt stock was used, it was fitted with a shotgun butt, and with the black hard rubber butt plate being the most common type. What is the serial number and the caliber of your ELW? I have (4) ELW TD rifles listed in my survey that were made in 1915.
Bert  

Bert – FYI – I have (21) 1894 short rifles listed with a fluted stock………. between the years 1913 and 1941 with one from 1908 (probably non-original)

– 12 are ELW’s

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 12, 2018 - 10:47 pm

Gary,

Something is very fishy smelling… I have (201) Model 1894s surveyed with Fluted comb butt stocks, and none of them have a crescent butt plate on them. The date range I have is 1911 – 1936, with (14) of them being ELWs. Do you have pictures of any of the (11) with a crescent butt?

Bert

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 13, 2018 - 1:31 am

Bert H. said
Gary,
Something is very fishy smelling… I have (201) Model 1894s surveyed with Fluted comb butt stocks, and none of them have a crescent butt plate on them. The date range I have is 1911 – 1936, with (14) of them being ELWs. Do you have pictures of any of the (11) with a crescent butt?
Bert  

Bert

I sure thought that seemed strange too, but I hadn’t ever sorted my file that way. I found that my column with extra notes had shifted a row. Luckily I don’t have any formulas looking at the notes. I went thru and corrected the misalignment, double checked some old files I had from your survey, and think I have it back where it belongs. I edited the statement above as follows…..

I have (21) 1894 short rifles listed with a fluted stock………. between the years 1913 and 1941 with one from 1908 (probably non-original)
– 12 are ELW’s

That was a good catch since I’m not sure how long its been that way. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
January 13, 2018 - 2:55 am

Hand written ledgers and lead bullets still have some advantages.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 13, 2018 - 3:16 am

[email protected] said
Hand written ledgers and lead bullets still have some advantages.  

Amen to that…..

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 13, 2018 - 8:28 pm

Gary,

Glad you discovered the problem with your spreadsheet… I was beginning to think that I had missed something important! I did spend some additional time going through my various surveys, and discovered that I now have a total of (236) Model 1894 Rifles & Carbines surveyed with a Fluted Comb. Of that number (21) are ELW rifles. I have one more survey file to parse, which may add a few more to the list.

Bert

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 13, 2018 - 9:16 pm

Bert,

The way I have it set up, there are some charts and graphs on the right hand side of the entries. In this area, when I add a new one I have to insert it and push just those columns down. At some point I must have selected all but my far right notes column, resulting in an offset of one row. I have quite a few entries from the Madis and Renneberg books with the page number in the notes. It was easy to see all the page numbers did not correspond with the book entries. All the critical data that I track was not affected. The notes are just extra items I don’t have individual columns assigned. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 14, 2018 - 12:16 am

Gary,

That makes sense to me… I try to create individual columns in my spreadsheets for everything so that I can create the formulas needed to track the different items. I just sent you a copy of my “Fluted Comb” survey file. It has a number of Short Rifles in it.

Bert

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: XLIV, Bill Hockett, twobit, JWA, Pwog
Guest(s) 140
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055