Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Anyone see the new (well 2018) Showtime movie "Winchester"?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 10, 2019 - 2:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I noticed the Showtime movie “Winchester” while channel surfing last night and initially thought it was a documentary however was a little surprised after viewing a while. 

Ended up being a far-fetched, loosely based drama on Sarah Winchester and the haunted mansion she constructed over 20 years/24 hours per day. Wasn’t bad until towards the end when it got utterly ridiculous. 

Anyone else see it. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 884
March 10, 2019 - 3:58 pm

Yep, I’m sure it won’t be nominated for any awards.

I certainly won’t be recommending it to anyone else for viewing……….

Erin

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6367
March 10, 2019 - 4:27 pm

The house is a popular tourist attraction, & was featured in a TV documentary made years ago; it’s a monument to untreated mental problems. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
March 10, 2019 - 4:31 pm

I saw in a theater when it first came out and enjoyed it, not for the story line but, rather, for the visuals.  As an old man, though, I’d rather have the coffee table book with a bunch  of stills of the architecture.  Nice house.

It’s  been a long time but I think I recall noticing some Winchester technical inaccuracies and thought they could have tapped you guys for set advisers.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
March 10, 2019 - 5:31 pm

The actual house is worth seeing just for all of the stained glass!!!

This movie had many Winchester errors.  It kept stating that the Winchesters killed a lot of people in the Civil War era.  Maybe it should be watched just to count the number of errors??

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
March 10, 2019 - 7:42 pm

A lot of errors but also quite a bit of factual information. In fact I’m surprised there wasn’t more errors in the movie than there was. Not a bad movie, and assuredly could have been much worse.

I wonder how much of the movie was shot on location.

Maverick

NY
WACA Member
March 10, 2019 - 8:36 pm

Chuck said
It kept stating that the Winchesters killed a lot of people in the Civil War era.  Maybe it should be watched just to count the number of errors??  

How many producers of popular entertainment of any kind knows or cares anything about historical errors?  Even when, once in a great while, one of them makes a serious attempt at sticking to real history, their shallow understanding of it usually defeats them.  

It is true that Sara was obsessed with the DELUSION that “Winchesters killed a lot of people in the Civil War,” but she was seriously crazy, & probably would have been put into a “home,” if she hadn’t been so enormously rich; the producers of the show were very careless if that fact wasn’t pointed out clearly. 

WACA Guest
March 10, 2019 - 10:09 pm

clarence said

How many producers of popular entertainment of any kind knows or cares anything about historical errors?  

“This is the West, sir, ” the reporter explains quietly. “When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.” The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

I have a friend who is a military tech advisory in Hollywood.  What he says doesn’t always go. Laugh 

NY
WACA Member
March 10, 2019 - 10:43 pm

Huck Riley said

“This is the West, sir, ” the reporter explains quietly. “When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.” The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Printing & publicizing legends, or lies (“religion of peace”), is what the media does best. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
March 11, 2019 - 2:30 am

Well there is some slight credence towards the civil war belief, as Oliver Winchester was involved with both the Volcanic & Henry Rifle companies. If he hadn’t been there likely would not be a Winchester Firearm in existence as we know it. In case you guys forgot, the Henry was used successfully to kill people during the Civil War.

Sincerely,

Maverick

NY
WACA Member
March 11, 2019 - 3:51 am

Maverick said 
In case you guys forgot, the Henry was used successfully to kill people during the Civil War.

Doubt anyone has forgotten, but, considering the Henry’s pipsqueak cartridge, it’s hard to believe the number killed amounted to very many.  Are there any Ordnance reports on the effectiveness of the Henry in battle?

WACA Guest
March 11, 2019 - 4:26 am

Can’t speak to Ordinance Reports, but I read somewhere the Confederates were not too fond of it.  Didn’t they call it that damn Yankee rifle that you load on Sunday and shoot all week long?  In a day when you could die if you stepped on a rusty nail I’m not so sure ballistics were as important.  Maybe the round didn’t stop a determined man in his tracks, it would still make him think.  Especially if two or three more kept smacking a chest with no body armor.  If I had my choice between a bunch of anemic .44 HRF per minute, and one or two muzzle balls, I’ll take the Henry.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1096
March 11, 2019 - 12:59 pm

I just finished the book “The Winchester, the gun that built an American dynasty” by Laura Trevelyan, a great niece in the Bennett family. anyway there is a lot of myths out there about Sarah Winchester and her house. She was actually quite an accomplished woman. I’m not about to give a history lesson or get into debate here but movies are entertainment and history fact.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Byron Russell, rogertherelic, 86Win
Guest(s) 174
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6367
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250