Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 21, 2023 - 11:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Ya I know it’s a lot of money for that gun , but I guess I figured it was worth it to Me. They are worth what a willing buyer is willing to pay to a willing seller, and sometimes worth more to one person than another, depending on Their circumstances ,and everyone has an opinion. Like Don said He paid $2400.00 for his, but I’ll bet He wouldn’t sell it for double that, if He would I hope He gives Me a call

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
March 21, 2023 - 12:29 pm

Henry,

I agree with the others, $8k for that short rifle is twice what it’s worth.  I’m sure another one will come your way.

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 606
March 21, 2023 - 12:35 pm

tionesta1 said
Henry,

I agree with the others, $8k for that short rifle is twice what it’s worth.  I’m sure another one will come your way.

Al

Ya Al as Henry said it’s hard to compete with the American dollar because it’s almost double by the time it arrives in Canada. $16k is just not a wise investment for that gun. I can live with the wrong tang sight and elevator but that’s Grove prices…realized!

Rick C 

WACA Member
March 21, 2023 - 2:19 pm

I see the one I did buy , Gunbroker lot#972462901,Ser#228218 has a brother. The consecutive Ser#228217, is coming up at Morphy auctions. It has minimum bid of $8000.00, it would be nice to have beside the one I got. They were received in the warehouse about 4 months apart and shipped to different order#’s. They are similar guns with different barrel weights and lengths and different length mags. I may have to bid on this one. What is the critics opinion on this one at Morpy’s lot #1182

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Melbourne Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 183
March 21, 2023 - 2:35 pm

Here is the link to Morphys lot 1182 Henry mentions:  Lot Detail – (C) VERY FINE SEMI-DELUXE WINCHESTER MODEL 1894 TAKEDOWN LIGHTWEIGHT LEVER ACTION RIFLE. (morphyauctions.com)

Henry did you buy the gunbroker one knowing this consecutive serial was coming up too? 

Chris

A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...

Melbourne Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 183
March 21, 2023 - 2:38 pm

A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
March 21, 2023 - 3:10 pm

mrcvs said
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/972462901

I did not look at this one closely until now.  The seller states you have 30 days to return if not happy.

First, the wood to receiver fit is marginal in some places.  But, photograph 19 & 34 of 49 speak volumes.  One can clearly see the great difference in the stain or coloration of the forearm and buttstock.  Winchester would NEVER have shipped a rifle with such a contrast in hue.  And, thus, the buttstock has been replaced.

Henry,

Any thoughts with regards to this before it’s too late?

I’m trying to help you.

WACA Member
March 21, 2023 - 5:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I am definetly considering bidding on the one at Morphy’s  Ian I would appreciate Your feedback on this piece. What is Your take on it? Chris I did buy the one on Gunbroker with the idea of getting them together as I don’t have a set of consecutive numbered guns in My rack. As You know the hammer price was $5525.00 with no “juice”, which makes it really difficult to pay even the $8000.00 starting bid at Morphy’s plus the”juice”. However I do think this is a better piece than the one I bought. Any other well founded comments are welcome. Thank You.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
March 21, 2023 - 7:32 pm

I think a 3/4 length magazine, octagon barrel, and short rifle configuration is uncommon.  But there are some gouges in the buttstock and a gap between the forearm and takedown portion of the frame.  The bid is $7500 now, and with buyer’s premium and sales tax on the next bid of $8000, that’s certainly getting “up there” with regards to the price.  Note the continuity of the color of the buttstock and forearm on this rifle as compared to the differences in coloration of the one Henry bought.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
March 21, 2023 - 10:42 pm

pdog72 said
I agree Don, that was a 3k gun at best. I’m happy for Austin and will likely see him this weekend but his customers push the prices to numbers way past reality. Although I’ve bid many times, I’ve yet to get anything bought from him. He’s an honest, knowledgeable seller that has earned the trust of many, it appears. 

I agree completely.  I have bid on many of his guns over the years and never come close to being the winner.  It’s not uncommon for his guns to sell for two or even three times what they would sell for elsewhere.  I think he has earned his status through being very knowledgeable and honest.  That’s very much on the rare side as far as gun dealers go.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 606
March 21, 2023 - 10:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I appreciate his reputation as a seller & well respected by forum members here. Always has nice honest guns. Paying 2 & 3 times what they would sell for somewhere else and a few have stating over the years have never come close to being the winner certainly excludes myself also. I think most of the collectors on this forum for any length of time are in tune with value. I know I’ve learned a lot about it here. I can’t argue with Clarence’s statements in the past about fools & their money.
And as far as “you just bought it too early” you would have to live to a 110 to recoup the price paid. ??

Rick C 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
March 22, 2023 - 4:33 pm

I certainly agree with everyone on the pricing issue.  It comes down to how much it is worth to Henry to have consecutive serial numbers.  This does not come along very often.

WACA Member
March 31, 2023 - 12:22 pm

Well obviously I didn’t get this piece, it would have been nice at a reasonable price

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hockett, cj57, Manuel, Win61, Byron Russell, 86Win
Guest(s) 295
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261