Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1100
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 16, 2023 - 1:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am looking at reluctantly bidding on a couple of ’94’s on Gunbroker item#’s 974552948 and 972462901. Let Me know Your thoughts, be brutal.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
March 17, 2023 - 8:00 pm

I like both rifles!  I see no negatives with either rifle. I have never had the opportunity of doing business with Austin Guns, but they seem to always have quality well presented pieces.  I have done business with Lock Stock and Barrel in the past and have never been disappointed.  I have recommended them to others who have sold through them and they have had nothing negative to say.  The only draw back seems to be in the time it takes from pick up to final sale.  With the volume of firearms and accessories LS&B sells, this is to be expected.  I will probably be using them in the future for selling a lot of my collection.  Providing the WACA Members don’t buy them first.  Wink  RDB

WACA Member
March 17, 2023 - 8:16 pm

Thanks for the comeback, both these ’94’s should be in My rack

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 606
March 18, 2023 - 5:47 pm

Henry Mero said

Nice short rifle & already $10K in Canadian dollars with broker fee and exchange. Prob be $15k Canadian by the time it’s sold. ?

Rick C 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
March 18, 2023 - 6:50 pm

RickC said

Henry Mero said

Nice short rifle & already $10K in Canadian dollars with broker fee and exchange. Prob be $15k Canadian by the time it’s sold. ?

Austinsguns has a very large and loyal following.  That following isn’t afraid to bid high.  Very high.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
March 19, 2023 - 10:15 pm

So on the .38-55, the seller believes it was originally shipped with an uncheckered pistol grip buttstock, but a checkered forearm?  I have a different interpretation of the Cody letter.

WACA Member
March 19, 2023 - 10:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

steve004 said
So on the .38-55, the seller believes it was originally shipped with an uncheckered pistol grip buttstock, but a checkered forearm?  I have a different interpretation of the Cody letter.

Ya I’m with you on that one!

Rick C 

WACA Member
March 20, 2023 - 12:19 am

Ya; Me too

WACA Member
March 20, 2023 - 1:42 am

Well I got one of’em tonite, hope I’m not dissapointed. Hopefully I’ll get the other one tomorrow nite. Thanks for the recomends on the sellers

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
March 20, 2023 - 2:18 am

I have owned several that lettered as “plain pistol grip” – none had a grip cap?? None were checkered though.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 81
March 20, 2023 - 3:13 am

The plain pistol grip checkered means, plain straight grain walnut with I checkering. the buttstock doesn’t match in my opinion. also I checkering was never cut that deep, very sloppy lines on left side . looking at the pictures I would say it was not factory and re cut. 

Jeremy Scott.

WACA LIFE MEMBER, CFM MEMBER, ABKA MEMBER, JSSC MEMBER, MNO HISTORIAN 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1728
March 20, 2023 - 10:23 am

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/972462901

I did not look at this one closely until now.  The seller states you have 30 days to return if not happy.

First, the wood to receiver fit is marginal in some places.  But, photograph 19 & 34 of 49 speak volumes.  One can clearly see the great difference in the stain or coloration of the forearm and buttstock.  Winchester would NEVER have shipped a rifle with such a contrast in hue.  And, thus, the buttstock has been replaced.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1728
March 20, 2023 - 1:28 pm

Now, this rifle looks honest.  Wear patterns consistent throughout.  BUT, at $6125 and with 12 hours to go, how much is this rifle really worth, being well used, not antique, and the only feature is the 20” octagon barrel?  Also, .30 WCF is okay, but it would be more desirable if in .25 – 35, .32 – 40, or .38 – 55.

It’s at $6125 right now BEFORE any sales tax, shipping, and FFL fees are added in.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/974552948

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
March 20, 2023 - 4:31 pm

Nice rifle, seems he’s always able to get top dollar on very nice guns. I had a similar rifle awhile back, less the tang sight and in poor condition. It sold for much more than I expected. Young man wanted a “Border Rifle” and with the DOM and condition he may very well have gotten one. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
March 20, 2023 - 9:10 pm

Well so far the 20″ one is mine ,I guess We’ll see in a few hours how it goes. I have a 20″ round bbl. and I need a 20″ oct. bbl. to partner up. If any of You have one for the same money , I’m a buyer. 

WACA Member
March 20, 2023 - 9:38 pm

Nice rifle Henry. Wish I was a bidder. Good luck. 

Rick C 

WACA Member
March 21, 2023 - 2:05 am

Well My $8000.00 wasn’t enough. It makes it tough bidding against a U.S. bidder when the $’s are so different. Anyway the fella got a nice short rifle that would have looked real good along side My 20″ round barrel

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 21, 2023 - 3:18 am

Henry Mero said
Well My $8050.00 wasn’t enough. It makes it tough bidding against a U.S. bidder when the $’s are so different. Anyway the fella got a nice short rifle that would have looked real good along side My 20″ round barrel

Nice gun, but crazy money in my opinion.  You could almost get a decent deluxe 1894 for that kind of money.  Although not quite as nice and not in the letterable range, I picked up my 1894 20″ short rifle from Cabelas about 5 years ago for just $2,400.

Don

P1070889.JPGImage EnlargerP1070891.JPGImage EnlargerP1070895.JPGImage EnlargerP1070901.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
March 21, 2023 - 3:40 am

I agree Don, that was a 3k gun at best. I’m happy for Austin and will likely see him this weekend but his customers push the prices to numbers way past reality. Although I’ve bid many times, I’ve yet to get anything bought from him. He’s an honest, knowledgeable seller that has earned the trust of many, it appears. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
March 21, 2023 - 3:46 am

Henry Mero said
Well My $8050.00 wasn’t enough. It makes it tough bidding against a U.S. bidder when the $’s are so different. Anyway the fella got a nice short rifle that would have looked real good along side My 20″ round barrel

Henry $15k Canadian(exchange, taxes, broker fee, shipping, credit card fee, etc) is 3 times what I think it’s worth so don’t feel too bad about not getting it. I’m sure you’ll find another priced right. 

Rick C 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: jolly bill, deerhunter, Chris Scott
Guest(s) 191
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323