Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 5, 2016 - 11:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Got a question that some probably would not care to answer but will give it a try. I have a 1885 Single Shot in at least 60%, fair condition per the Red Book. Plain sporting, blued, full octagon, set (close coupled) trigger, small swiss buttplate, 32-40. I have added 10% for the octagon barrel & 10% for the set trigger. But, it has 4 holes drilledFrown for scope blocks. Here is my question : How much of a reduction do I take off ? Yes, they drilled right through the address. Anybody want to take a guess ? Thanks. Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.

All gave some, some gave all.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1726
August 6, 2016 - 1:04 am

At least 50%…maybe more.

Forum Posts: 2110
August 6, 2016 - 1:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

One way to calculate value of a modified collectable firearm is;

V = O -PR -L +PS  (known as the JWA theorem)

Whereas;

V = Value of modified firearm

O = Original (unmodified) value from the famous Red Book

PR = Cost of correct vintage replacement part

L = Labor to replace modified part

PS = Value of salvaged modified part

This formula works down to what is known as the “Shooter Value” level where at that point the value curve flattens. The SV level varies from model to model and is also dependent upon bore condition since to retain a SV it must be inherently shootable.

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
August 6, 2016 - 2:23 am

Dale,

The rifle you described is worth approximately $1,500. You might get a few hundred more for it if you parted it out, but I personally do not recommend that option.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
August 6, 2016 - 10:25 pm

Thanks to all who replyed to my question. Not quite the answer I was looking for but it is what it is. But I do love this rifle and I guess that’s what it’s all about.  Dale.

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
August 7, 2016 - 5:03 pm

Bert ,  do you agree with the  50% +  reduction figure for the non factory drilling for scope blocks ? (just seems to me to be a little bit of an excessive punishment ? )   How about in the case of an otherwise very good Schuetzen ?

Phil

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
August 7, 2016 - 5:17 pm

Phil,

The non-factory holes drilled through the factory address marking is at least a 50% deduction, and none of the serious collectors (myself included) will be interested in that rifle (unless it is priced very low), so No, I personally do not believe that it is an “excessive punishment”.

If the rifle in question was a Schuetzen, and the barrel damaged in the same manner, it would still reduce the value by a substantial $$$ amount.  Most likely not a full 50%, but certainly at least 35%.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
August 7, 2016 - 7:47 pm

Thanks for input Bert

Being more a shooter of vintage guns than a strict Hi -End Collector , I was thrilled to acquire this 1908 Schuetzen with its otherwise Excellent original condition , almost mint rifling like new , highly polished bore that you can feel still fine when pulling cloth on pull thru. Bore is always my first consideration , and excellent bores on even  130 year old guns are out there with lots of searching and selection. (just like that ultra low milage near mint original vintage car ) 

So the non factory tapping (i think one hole just touches a part of barrel marking ) and omission of original factory sights made this gun something I can afford to own , admire , treasure , and shoot , rather than looking at picture in a book

Way bettter to me than a restored or repro model

Possibly unfathomable to a Collector  ,  I do not even dwell or think about the non factory holes , or that I had to install my own (preferred for function ) precision target sights and still feel the thrill of shooting a tack-driving original piece

Phil

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
August 7, 2016 - 10:17 pm

FWIW:  I’m of the same opinion as 25-20 in that I’m more interested in shooting antique rifles that in owning a high end collectible that can’t be touched.  I recently acquired a high wall from 1902 in 40-60 W.C.F. caliber with a bore that is nearly a 10.  I’ve noticed over some time now that the odd caliber rifles are the ones that most often have the outstanding bores.

At any rate, the barrel had been tapped for a scope and consequently sold for a mere $1,750.  Everything else was in good shape, save for the rear sight that I had to change from a folding sight to an original sporting rear sight.  Also, the seller didn’t reveal that the firing pin was broken.  I got a replacement from MVA that fit fine but it turned out to be so poorly made that I wasn’t sure it was safe and had to wait until getting an original replacement from eBay.  I’m off to the range tomorrow.

Point being, for me the enjoyment is taking one of these old classics out and shooting them with the same old iron sights they came with.  But I still enjoy drooling over a high end Winchester lever actions, even if I’d never be able to do anything with them. 

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
August 8, 2016 - 1:27 pm

I couldn’t agree more with what Phil & Wincacher posted. I feel the same way. Truth be known, I only own 3 Winchester’s, a 1894, 1895, and my 1885. But I sure do enjoy them. I only own one high class rifle and that’s a Remington Hepburn, Match Grade B, 38-55. I truly love this rifle. But still being a new guy on this sight, I must say I’ve learned quite alot and enjoy it very much. Dale.

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
August 8, 2016 - 6:03 pm

Hi Dale

I also have a Remington Hepburn, Match Grade B, 38-55. I previously posted  Pics and description on this Forum

link below

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/general-discussions-questions/competition-for-winchester-1885-single-shot/

Phil

WACA Guest
August 8, 2016 - 7:21 pm

Very nice Phil espically with the set triggers. Mine has the single trigger. I’ve seen yours before somewhere. Maybe the ASSRA site ? Dale.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: antler1
Guest(s) 153
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322