Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 Blank Canvas
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 6, 2022 - 11:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Got a notification from C. Sharps they had 1885 receivers in stock. I don’t have the patience or skill to do anything with one myself but must admit I’ve toyed with having one built. Not much chance of that actually happening as I’d never be able to hammer out all the details.

What would yours look like?

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
August 6, 2022 - 11:52 pm

Pistol grip stocked, set trigger, 28″ No. 3 octagon contour barrel, chambered for the 225 Winchester cartridge, topped with an Unertl 20X scope. CoolCool

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 28
August 7, 2022 - 12:13 am

TXGunNut said
Got a notification from C. Sharps they had 1885 receivers in stock. I don’t have the patience or skill to do anything with one myself but must admit I’ve toyed with having one built. Not much chance of that actually happening as I’d never be able to hammer out all the details.

What would yours look like?

Mike

Pistol gripe stock with exhibition grade wood, set triggers, 10x scope, 32 inch barrel, 50-110 ??

WACA Member
August 7, 2022 - 12:24 am

I like y’all’s thoughts on wood but I keep coming back to a 32WCF and a 28” #2 barrel. Do you suppose they could make mine a low wall? I love the “light” trigger in my 32-40, would prefer that over any set trigger. Would also prefer Vernier sights over a ‘scope, have an eye doc appt next week so will know in a few weeks about my future with peeps.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
August 7, 2022 - 1:05 am

TXGunNut said
I like y’all’s thoughts on wood but I keep coming back to a 32WCF and a 28” #2 barrel. Do you suppose they could make mine a low wall?

Mike, for what a new gun made up to those specs would cost, you could buy a nice original, probably with money left over.  Although a LW would be my choice, too, the set-up costs to covert a HW to a LW (as was done to make the Model 87), would be prohibitive if they’d never done it before.

To me, best excuse for having a new gun built would be to obtain one in some otherwise unobtainable chambering, such as Bert’s choice.

WACA Member
August 7, 2022 - 1:25 am

Agreed, Clarence. And it’s an adventure looking around to see what we can find. The Single Shot musket I stumbled upon at this year’s Cody show is one of the most intriguing rifles I’ve seen in awhile and most certainly not anything I was looking for. 

Back on topic if I was limited to a HW receiver I’d give serious thought to the 30WCF and a #3 barrel. I have plenty of correct  brass, powder and bullet moulds and I’ve learned that the lowly 30WCF is underestimated as a target cartridge. I won’t be using it to knock over steel so I won’t need to subject my shoulder to unnecessary abuse. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
August 7, 2022 - 7:33 pm

Mine would be a .50-110 smoothbore.  No, wait, a .50-105 smoothbore!

Just joking.  Seriously, mine would be in .33 WCF.  

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rick Hill, mrcvs, keith shaffer
Guest(s) 200
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261