Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 Serial number with a "B"
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 22, 2015 - 7:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a very fine 1873 made in 1891 with a “B” stamped after the serial number on the bottom tank.  Is there any way I can determine when the Company installed the new barrel?  Bill

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4276
February 22, 2015 - 7:57 pm

Bill,

What indications do you see that it has a new barrel? The B in the serial number does not mean a replacement barrel. Is there any proof marks on the barrel or receiver? If you post pictures of the barrel marking would help in telling what era the barrel was made. When 73’s came out they had just a plain serial numbers then in 1882 they started adding the A  and then it changed to a B. The B started in about 1884 and intermixed with the A’s into 1885 and continued until to the end of production with the B.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
February 23, 2015 - 12:38 am

Well thanks for the correction.  I understood the “B” indicated the rifle had received a replacement barrel.  I can’t give you the barrel markings this instant as I put it back in storage, but I have no other reason to believe it has a replacement barrel, and the barrel includes the Kings Improvement patent data stamped on it.  Accordingly, it appears that the gun is original.  An interesting feature is that this rifle has an original Marble Flexible Joint tang peep sight installed and stamped MSA Co. with the October, 1903 patent date and has a circle and post front sight to match up with the peep sight.  Also has beautiful wood.  Bill N

Wisconsin
WACA Member
February 23, 2015 - 12:47 am

Bill,

Sound like a nice gun. What is the configuration of the gun? Did you letter it yet?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
February 23, 2015 - 1:18 am

Bob:  It is in excellent shape, other than the dust cover is loose and does not return to the forward or closed position when the lever is worked.  It is a straight stock rifle with a 24″ barrel.  I am attempting to add photos but it’s my first time here and this is an experiment.  BillIMG_5486.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_5488.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_5491.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_5508.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Wisconsin
WACA Member
February 23, 2015 - 1:41 am

Bill,

There is nothing wrong with the dust cover they don’t close by themselves on a 73. The front sight is a Lyman #5 and you have some nice figure to the wood. The receiver looks like it might of been color case hardened at one time. My guess it was a special order rifle. You should get it lettered. Is it 38 caliber?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2289
February 24, 2015 - 5:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bob wrote:

The receiver looks like it might of been color case hardened at one time. My guess it was a special order rifle. You should get it lettered.

I agree with Bob.  The fact that the re is not the slightest hint of any bluing in the creases and protected areas, in addition to the receiver being the same color as the hammer and lever, which were case hardened, points to the receiver having an original case hardened finish.  It would have looked like the attached photos.

Michael

CH-L-Rec.jpgImage EnlargerCH-R-Rec.jpgImage Enlarger

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
March 2, 2015 - 1:15 am

I have requested a letter and will post when I have more info.  Bill

WACA Member
March 14, 2015 - 6:20 pm

I have received initial information but not the final letter.  You experts are correct; it does have the case hardened receiver but also is listed as having a 26 inch barrel.  My barrel measures 23 1/2 to the receiver.  I presume it is a 24″ and that the measurement goes another 1/2′ into the receiver.  The barrel is stamped “Winchester Repeating Arms New Haven, Conn. U.S.A.” and has the Kings Improvement Patented March 29, 1866 October 16, 1860 and has 32WCF on the side next to the receiver.  On the top octagonal it has the oval with a W and the line through the oval.   The bore looks excellent with very good rifiling.  Am I measuring the barrel length correctly?  Bill N

Wisconsin
WACA Member
March 14, 2015 - 6:40 pm

Bill,

The barrel is measured to include the threaded part in the receiver. What does the information you got say about caliber? If it was a 26″ and cut down 2″ then you will either see a extra dovetail on the bottom of the barrel in front of the magazine band or if that was not moved then the mag band will be too close to the end of the barrel. The center mag band should be about 3.75″ from the  muzzle. Just looking at the picture of the end of the barrel it does look like the mag band is too close to the end of the barrel but since the picture is taken at a angle its hard to judge distances.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
March 14, 2015 - 6:58 pm

Bob:  Initial info is caliber 32-20 and that is correct.  The center of the magazine band is exactly 3.75 inches from the end of the muzzle.  I believe I have a replacement 24″ barrel.  Bill

Wisconsin
WACA Member
March 14, 2015 - 7:07 pm

Biil,

Since you have the proof mark on the barrel and a later style barrel,  it was replaced. Does the receiver have a proof mark as well?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
March 15, 2015 - 3:53 pm

Bob:  There is no proof mark on the receiver.  Tell me, as a historian, how in the world did a person owning an 1873 Winchester consider obtaining a replacement barrel?  I don’t doubt it as it is obviously a replacement barrel;  I just can’t imagine going to the trouble of sending my rifle back to Winchester in the 1890’s to have the barrel replaced.  Also, with the Kings improvement patent marks on the barrel, do you have any idea what vintage this barrel might be.  I thank you for all of your valuable information.  I have corresponded with the President/Owner of Marble Arms who wants to buy this rifle.  I have a problem of deciding what Winchesters to collect; there are so many choices and possibilities.  I love the .22’s as it brings me back to my rabbit hunting days in the middle of Kansas when I shot many with my 62A which is still in almost perfect condition, even after climbing over many barbed-wire fences.  I have acquired other popular 22’s, including a 61 in its original 1940 box and a 63 with a correct box.  I also have purchased four other 63’s in very fine shape (I’m a sucker and figure I will control the market in excellent 63’s.  Still I love the old lever actions.  Had a nice 1866 SR but sold it also.  Would love to buy a very nice Henry, but I have a wife.  Bill N.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
March 15, 2015 - 4:20 pm

If the gun was sent back to Winchester to have a barrel replaced it would have gotten a proof mark (W & P superimposed in a oval) on the top of the receiver as well. Here is an example.

Proof_mark_stamp.jpgImage Enlarger

With the absents of that proof mark I can only think the barrel was swapped outside the factory by  someone else. If Winchester sent a barrel out to have someone else install it the barrel would have the proof mark and another mark, a P in a circle like this. If there is no P in a circle then the barrel was taken off another gun and put on yours.

postal-proofs.jpgImage Enlarger

As to dating the barrel I would need photos of the barrel address and the caliber stamp to tell. There were several variations to the address and caliber placements.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10718
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 15, 2015 - 4:25 pm

Bob,

The “P” proof mark was not used until 1908.  Prior to that, the replacement barrels that were sold were marked  “OF” on the underside of the barrel. “OF” stood for was “outside fitted”.  I have see at least a half-dozen Model 1885 barrels with the “OF” marking, and I would expect that there are a number of Model 1873s out there with it as well.

Bert

OF-marked-barrel.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 524
March 15, 2015 - 6:14 pm

Bert – the post from Bob indicates the letter “A” was added to the serial number in 1882, followed by the letter “B” in about 1884. I was just looking at a 73 I have, serial #301286, which letters as follows:

Rifle

44 caliber

1/2 octagon barrel

Plain trigger

Checkered stock

Pistol grip

1/2 magazine

Case hardened

Received in the warehouse on September 18, 1889

Shipped from the warehouse on September 18, 1889

The date is several years after Bob indicates letters “A” or “B” followed the serial number. As always, comments are appreciated.

Burt

Wisconsin
WACA Member
March 15, 2015 - 7:31 pm

Burt,

Your gun should have a B after the serial number.

Bert,

I was under the Assumption that the P proof mark was started close to the same time the W P proof was.  I have never seen a OF mark on a 73 underside but I will research that.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
March 15, 2015 - 7:39 pm

Bill,

To correct what I said earlier it does look like it could have barrel that Winchester sent out, pictures of the markings would be needed to determine the era the barrel was made.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 524
March 15, 2015 - 11:12 pm

Bob – the gun does not have a “B” after the serial number – it is clearly 301286. Also, the museum letter clearly indicates serial number 301286 – there is not a “B”.

I just pulled another one out and looked at it – a standard grade 73 and just a little later – it is serial #564111B – it clearly has the “B”.

Burt

Wisconsin
WACA Member
March 16, 2015 - 12:10 am

Burt,

The Winchester ledgers at the museum don’t have any letters associated with the serial numbers. Your observation got my curiosity going so I checked all of my guns. All of my straight grip guns all have letters if they fall into the letter range. My pistol grips on the other hand didn’t have a letter except one which was in the A range. I suspect because of lack of space on the tang of a pistol grip there is not enough room to put it on so it was omitted. This would explain the absents of the letter on your gun.

I would like anybody else with 73’s to verify this.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters: