Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
WTB Model 1895 Carbine upper handguard
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 2, 2015 - 11:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a Model 1895 carbine in .30-06 that is missing the upper handguard.

Is finding an original possible??

Thanks,

Paul

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 3, 2015 - 1:38 am

Paul,

I suspect that it will be very difficult to find one that is not already attached to another Carbine. The hand guards were often the first thing to break or go missing.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
April 4, 2015 - 1:53 am

There are reproductions out there on Ebay and I think that is as close as you will get.

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Guest
April 4, 2015 - 10:44 pm

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the information.

Paul

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 492
April 6, 2015 - 12:26 am

Paul,

I watch EBAY and Gunbroker pretty closely for anything related to 1895’s.  Original handguards do come up for sale from time to time, but not often.  They are usually in pretty poor shape and high-priced. I once picked one up on EBAY that was in great shape and reasonably priced, but that is the exception.  If you aren’t in a big hurry for it, watch those sites and one will come up eventually.  If you are in a hurry, a quick internet search will turn up a couple of companies who reproduce them.  I haven’t seen any of the reproductions in person, so I can’t speak for their quality.

Mark Douglas 

WACA Guest
April 6, 2015 - 3:54 am

Thank You Mark,

I have realized whoever took the hand guard off, did it so they could put an aftermarket sight on the barrel (sorry I can’t remember who made it, but it is dovetailed on)

Even if I could find a hand guard, I would have to find an original rear sight also. 

I think this is a project for a collector. 

I will post a pic for you 1895 fans, when I get back home.

Thanks again,

Paul

Great Basin
WACA Member
April 6, 2015 - 9:51 pm

Paul,

1895 carbine sights do come up on EBAY from time to time as well, usually around $200.  Enjoy it the way it is and keep an eye out for the parts you want.  

I really enjoy shooting my ’95 carbines more than the rifles with crescent buttplates, especially the heavy hitters (35 WCF and larger). 

1895’s in 30-06 have a reputation for developing excess headspace, so I either shoot reduced handloads or the new factory light loads made by Federal or Hornady.  Makes for enjoyable shooting and I wouldn’t be afraid to hunt with them if I didn’t live in the high desert where the shots are too long for open sights and tired eyes. 

Always love to see pictures.

Mark Douglas

WACA Guest
April 7, 2015 - 2:47 am

Thanks Mark,

You know, the more that I look at it, I’m not sure it came with a handguard and the “flip-up” sight…

There are no holes in the barrel where the sight would have been screwed in, and the dovetail sight will not fit with a handguard…

(although the fore-grip does have slots for the upper handguard clips)

Also, I found a parts diagram showing a dovetailed sight for a 1895 (but not on a carbine).

Do you know if carbines came that way (in 1919)?

I did some looking, and found that this is a D.W. King Buckhorn sight (year??)

Thanks,

Paul

Here are some pics (sorry they are not better, it is the best the point and shoot would do)

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/gillpaulcFunWithPaul/DSCF0978_zpsbhvneahx.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/gillpaulcFunWithPaul/DSCF0981_zps98htzz5t.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/gillpaulcFunWithPaul/DSCF0992_zpsmkrryzf6.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/gillpaulcFunWithPaul/DSCF0987_zpsjd3w6nop.jpgImage Enlarger

Great Basin
WACA Member
April 7, 2015 - 3:36 am

Paul,

I have not come across a ’95 carbine with a factory dovetailed rear sight.

A factory carbine rear sight would sit just about where your sight sits.  Look closely under the sight and see if it may be drilled and tapped under the elevator.  The other mounting hole may have been removed when the dovetail was cut.  I can’t explain if it isn’t D&Ted under the sight, unless it may be a replacement barrel.   

Some carbines were produced without a handguard, but none of them that I have seen had the slots cut for the spring clips.

In your second picture, it looks to me like there are marks above the slots where the handguard was removed.  Look closely, if there are marks above the slots, that would indicate that it had a handguard at one time.

By the way, if you ever install or remove a ’95 handguard, never try to force it over the barrel from the top.  They are prone to cracking and this is the surest way to break them.  Take the forearm and sight off and slide the handguard on from the front, then replace the forearm and sight.

That’s a nice looking carbine.  From what I can see in the pictures, it looks to be in excellent shape.  It’s very common for ’95’s in that era for the barrels to retain their bluing much better than the receivers. 

WACA Guest
April 7, 2015 - 4:37 am

Thanks Mark,

Since you mentioned it, I got curious, and tapped the sight off the dovetail, 

yup, there are two threaded holes underneath.

and the dovetail was cut after the barrel was blued. So that confirms it…

(got a rear sight and a handguard for sale??)

I guess I will be bidding against you on eBay now …

Thanks so much for the expertise.

I have had this rifle for 35 years, and have learned more about it in the last 3 or 4 days than I have in the entire time since I bought it.

Thanks.

Paul

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/gillpaulcFunWithPaul/DSCF0995_zpso9ar4qna.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/gillpaulcFunWithPaul/DSCF0996_zps7enzmngb.jpgImage Enlarger

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., dimrod, Rick C
Guest(s) 138
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261