Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 24, 2021 - 2:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi All,

I’ve been on a bit of a lengthy quest for a nice, vintage 1885 in 38-55.  I relish trying to find the right overlap in specs, condition and price.  A fellow member of 24hourcampfire pointed me to your wonderful site. He assured me that the end of my yellow brick road was to be found on this site. Time will tell…  If you have a nice, vintage 1885 in 38-55 that needs a new home, or if you know of one, please message me!

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
July 24, 2021 - 3:47 am

Tell us about the specs you have in mind. I’m guessing high-wall and octagon barrel. Barrel profile? Sights? Special features? I like the way you think, Jake, reckon we could scare up two? Make mine a #3 barrel, midrange sights and select or maybe even fancy wood.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
July 24, 2021 - 7:30 am

I have one… S/N 81343, 30-inch No. 3 full octagon, close-coupled set trigger, Winchester globe front sight, aftermarket mid-range vernier tang sight. Received in the warehouse May 25, 1898.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
July 24, 2021 - 1:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said
I have one… S/N 81343, 30-inch No. 3 full octagon, close-coupled set trigger, Winchester globe front sight, aftermarket mid-range vernier tang sight. Received in the warehouse May 25, 1898.  

Sounds nice, Bert. Too bad I spent all my money in Cody. If Jake doesn’t want it I could maybe dig up another coffee can. Wink 

All kidding aside, Jake, it took me years to find the Single Shot I was looking for and one day I just stumbled across it at my favorite orphanage. Bert helped me (via phone) verify it was correct and original. The right Single Shot is worth waiting for, I sincerely hope you find one you like.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Guest
July 24, 2021 - 2:24 pm

Mike,

I’m not educated enough to be terribly discerning on the specs: 38-55 caliber, 26”-30” barrel.  I’d probably prefer octagon or 1/2 oct. over round.  No strong preference of curved or straight butt, or type of trigger. 

Condition is the longest chapter in my book.  It does not need to be mint, but it needs to be free of some major, irreversible modifications such as re-blue, sanded wood, cut barrel, Bubba engravings.  Cracks in the wood and swaths of rusted metal are pretty much always a deal breaker. Also, the bore has to be there. Preferably a 7.5 or better.  No sense in buying a genie lamp that’s nothing but a sewer pipe inside. 

Price just needs to be realistic. I’m looking for a collectible shooter, not a safe queen or Oliver Winchester’s bequeathed legacy. 

Bert,

Is the rifle you described open to possible relocation to Indiana? Or was that just a humble brag to wet the pallet?

Thanks All,

Jake

WACA Member
July 24, 2021 - 3:09 pm

Jake-

I don’t know if you’re familiar with John Campbell’s work but he wrote an outstanding book on the Single Shot awhile back and followed it up with a second volume a few years ago. The first volume is out of print and can be a bit pricey but I consider it an integral part of my modest reference library. If you’d like learn more about the Single Shot Campbell’s books are a great opportunity. Bert has authored a number of excellent articles on the Single Shot and some are available to members on this site. Bert has been very helpful with any questions I had. I’m nobody’s expert on the SS, just an enthusiastic fan. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
July 24, 2021 - 4:27 pm

Jake, where do you live?  Maybe we can suggest a collector show near you.

WACA Guest
July 24, 2021 - 5:19 pm

Mike- Thanks a heap for the tips on the books. Genuinely appreciated. 

Chuck- I’m in southeast Indiana. Just west of Cincinnati, to the “left” of the OH/IN border.

Kingston, WA
Admin
July 24, 2021 - 5:37 pm

Jake Leonard said

Bert,

Is the rifle you described open to possible relocation to Indiana? Or was that just a humble brag to wet the pallet?

Thanks All,

Jake  

I could be convinced to sell it at the right price… I will have to take some pictures of it and then post them first though.  It is easily in the condition that you are looking for.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
July 24, 2021 - 7:03 pm

Jake You might end up with a little competition on Bert’s gun.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Guest
July 24, 2021 - 7:12 pm

We’ll see, Henry.  Usually a specimen with condition and strong desirability will cause the “price” portion of my overlapping vectors to take off like a dog chasing a squirrel.  

Looking forward to seeing Bert’s pics. 

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
July 24, 2021 - 7:20 pm

Jake Leonard said

Price just needs to be realistic.

Better look for a seller who just found out he has about a week left to live.  That’s if he has no kids or other greedy relations.

Kingston, WA
Admin
July 25, 2021 - 1:10 am

It will be at least a few days before I get the chance to dig it out of the back of the safe and get it outdoors to take some pictures of it.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: jolly bill, pdog72, wclary
Guest(s) 143
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6386
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600