Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Win 1873 SN: 83848 Wanted
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 595
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 4, 2015 - 7:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Folks,

In 1973 I purchased the above rifle in Jensen’s in Tucson, AZ.  It started my collecting.  Later I traded it off, and have long since regretted doing so.  I would appreciate if you would keep your eyes out for it and see if somehow I can reunite with it.  It was a second model in 44 WCF, rather ordinary condition with octagonal barrel, oiled wood.  Generally brown (patina).  Only fair bore.   For years, Tommy Rholes kept an eye out for it, as has Leroy Merz.  I also peruse the auctions to see if it comes up, but so far no notice.  Your help would be appreciated!  Would be nice to once again say, “and this one started the disease!”

Thank you,

Tim Tomlinson

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
September 4, 2015 - 7:30 pm

Tim,

Your gun shows up in Jim Gordons survey of the Winchester 1873. He wrote a 2 volume book “Winchester’s New Model of 1873 – A Tribute by James D Gordon” and along with it was a survey of about 4000 guns that he got from combing over gun show tables and from collections  which he used to derive rarity statistics. He will not know where the gun was seen since he never collected that data, he was just interested in the configurations of the guns.   The book came out in 97 so I don’t know how long before that he was collecting data.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
September 5, 2015 - 6:44 pm

I spent many an hour in the old Jensen’s during the 70’s.  Was a great shop during that time.  They used to have a nice display of some of Harry Lawson’s guns there and a huge selection of new and used guns.   I don’t think I’ve seen another shop in AZ that compares to that store.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 595
September 6, 2015 - 6:22 pm

First, to answer the aspect that Gordon’s book lists the rifle I am looking for-I provided the input that resulted in that listing.

Next, as to Jensen’ s and also Harry Lawson.  I loved Jensen’s. Went about every time I was in Tucson (stationed in Ft. Huachuca).  Also I have a customized M70 that was made up for me by Harry.  It is my “go to” rifle for all big game.

Thanks,

Tim

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263