Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
trade '33 model 42 for a model '92?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 8, 2013 - 3:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’m a new guy here, and I’m not sure how this works,so go easy on me! I have a field grade 1933 model 42, full and no rib, with a canvas/leather take-down case, and the factory stamped magazine plug. The gun is in very good overall condition – probably around 90% – but I’m not an expert, so I’m only guessing. My question relates to what such a beast might be worth. I’m hoping to acquire a model 1892 rifle or carbine in similar condition, but I’m not sure the little .410 is valuable enough to make it all happen.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
August 8, 2013 - 8:52 pm

Hello Jim,

You will be short on the deal by several thousand. You are looking at $1800 or so for your Model 42, and a 90% condition Model 1892 is going to run you $4K – 8K depending on the caliber and configuration.

Bert H.

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
August 9, 2013 - 6:36 am

Ouch! I knew I’d have to throw in to make a trade work, but I didn’t think it’d be that much . . . thanks for the information.

Guess I should mention that I like to shoot ’em, so I’m hoping to find a little rifle to use for fun. (Also should mention that I’d consider a SAA if it came my way – also just to shoot). So that means that the condition of a ’92 needn’t necessarily be all that high. Mechanical condition and shootability are more interesting to me than collecter value at this point. Plus I actually enjoy the look – the patina, if you will – of good and careful use. Adds to the historical feel, I think. Like I said, I’m brand new at this. I sincerely appreciate your help. thanks.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2323
August 23, 2013 - 9:18 am

A nice SAA will set you back more than a M42 as well. That’s why they make repops. M92’s, in just about any condition are very pricey, especially the 44’s. There are quite a few junkers out there, but as a collector, I have no interest in these. bad investments. Good luck in your quest. Currently, in my meager collection, I have 4 M92’s all in 44 caliber and none of them were cheap. Big Larry

WACA Guest
August 24, 2013 - 5:07 am

Thanks, Big Larry for your sage advice. Yep, there’ll likely be some gap in value. I’ve been seeing shotguns like my model 42 going for around $1800 or so, and ’92’s in similar condition are much more (and worth every penny). I’ve heard from a couple of gentlemen (members) who’ve expressed an interest in possibly trading, and we’re exchanging photos, etc. Beautiful guns, but I’m hopeful there won’t be too big a value difference.

HOWEVER, when I begin to look at rifles that have a few more nicks and dings, or especially are in less desirable (?) calibers, things begin to look up! A couple of examples of lesser guns that I’ve recently come across do give me some hope. First is a trim little saddle ring carbine in 32-20 which was missing the saddle ring – the stud was still in place – but showed very little remaining blue and the wear typical of rifle that had been well but carefully used for $800. I also ran across a full rifle, also with significant wear but no abuse, in the <$1k range complete with a tang sight but chambered in .32 w.s. Since I’m unfamiliar with .32 w.s. I have to assume it’ll be tough finding ammo or even reloading components for it.

By the way, my ’33 is really circa 1957 (quite embarrassing) as gently pointed out by one of the members who has seen photos of my model 42.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
August 24, 2013 - 6:37 am

You mention a Model 1892 in .32 W.S. This would be an impossibility! You either were looking at a Model 1894 in .32 Winchester Special or a Model 1892 in .32 WCF (.32-20).

WACA Guest
August 25, 2013 - 5:10 am

Thanks for your response. I also posted a question about the .32 w.s. in the "rifle" section, and I received a link to information about the cartridge. I was also told that the .32 Winchester Special was a model ’94 issue only. The receiver and action on the rifle I looked at are definitely model ’92 – short loading gate, short lever throw etc, and all the markings appear correct. There’s no other roll stamping or evidence of changes in the caliber marking. It has full rifle barrel and fore end, with a crescent butt plate and even a nice little tang sight.

Am I looking at a cobbled together rifle, a conversion or what? Is it possible that custom order ’92 was built in the .32ws? Would such a beast have any significant value beyond what’s normal for condition?

I’ll be taking another look at this rifle if it’s still available, and I’ll definitely try to get some photos. Maybe I missed something obvious, or maybe I’m just plain wrong about something. Stay tuned . . .

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
August 25, 2013 - 6:22 am

If you have the shorter loading gate, etc., on this rifle, it would be impossible for it to be a Winchester Special. You simply could not feed the cartiridge through the smaller loading gate. Also, there would be no reason to make a special order 1892 when the same could be had in the 1894 model. You should post pictures for us all to see, but you likely have an 1892 in .32-20. Other models could be had in .32 Winchester Special, but in similar configurations (the Model 55, which is a later version of the 1894) or in the single shot 1885. Also, other makes, such as the Marlin 1893, were chambered in .32 Special. I hope this helps…and post some pictures.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Antonio, [email protected]
Guest(s) 58
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160