Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1890 - Manufactured 1898 - .22 Long
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 14, 2022 - 7:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a Model 1890 I’m interested in selling.

(I’d have been here sooner, but I found board by accident)

Anyway, the serial number is in the very low 56-thousand range, so everything I’ve read says that’s a 2nd Generation version of 1898 manufacture.

It’s .22 Long (Not LR), and it feeds, fires and doesn’t keyhole.

It’s in really surprisingly good condition, with only TWO issues that I can find:

1. The bluing and color case hardening are pretty much completely faded. You can see a little color on the receiver around the trigger, if you look carefully, but that’s about it.

2. Someone varnished the stock at some point in the past. Don’t ask me when, I wouldn’t even know how to guess.

I originally bought it in a private sale, on a whim, and it ended up being a safe queen, mainly because .22 Long isn’t exactly on the shelf at Walmart. I can GET it, but I either have to drive to one of the few places around that usually has it, or order online.

I haven’t wanted to really get into the bore with a brass brush, so I’ve only ever cleaned it with a boresnake and some CLP. If you look down the barrel, it’s dark as opposed to shiny, but it looks smooth and the rifling looks clean and sharp.

I’ve only recently realized that it’s a 124 year old collector piece, and I think it’s better off with someone who appreciates if for that. For me it’s just a cool old plinker, and frankly, I’ve got 10/22’s for when I want to turn beer cans into cheese graters.

I can’t post pictures because I’m only a guest, but I can certainly e-mail or Text them.

As for pricing…

I have watched these guns go for $500 and I’ve watched them go for $1,500.

As best I can tell, turn-of-century 1890’s, especially the ones prior to 1900, are going for about $1,000 in good condition. The problem is that there seems to be a wide variety of opinions among buyers and sellers as to just what constitutes good condition, and the size of either group isn’t very large.

So, let’s call it $1,000. I’ll try to argue you up, and you can try to argue me down. 

I would PREFER a face-to-face sale in Ohio, but I can do the ship-thru-FFL thing too.

Either way, if I need to ship it, I’ll cover the costs on my end to ship it to your FFL, and you cover his costs on your end.

That’s about it. If you want to reach me by phone or text, I’ve put my number below. I spelled it out to avoid having the number harvested by web-crawlers.

six-one-four – seven-four-seven – zero-one-four-two

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hockett, mrcvs, deerhunter
Guest(s) 232
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323