Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Gordon's 1873 Volumes 1&2 at Auction
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2291
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 29, 2018 - 12:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Good morning all,

As we all know these books are darn hard to find and typically expensive when you do.  But, you will not find a finer set of reference books for a Winchester rifle than these.   Best of luck!   https://www.proxibid.com/18NV-27-JAMES-GORDON-2-VOLUME-SET/lotInformation/45277502

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
November 29, 2018 - 1:07 pm

EBAY has a set of Gordon books, new in plastic for $695, buy it now. Idem number 401646261776. T/R

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4280
November 29, 2018 - 2:28 pm

That set on Proxibid would go cheaper than the new set on Ebay just because of condition. The Proxibid set would go cheaper because of there condition. The set on Ebay has been for sale at that price for quite a while with no takers.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4566
November 29, 2018 - 5:20 pm

Robert, what difference is there, if any, between Vol. I and II.  Time period, model variations?  Is II just a continuation of I?

Wisconsin
WACA Member
November 29, 2018 - 5:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Its one book broke into two volumes so if you are missing one, you only have half the information. If you only had one volume, the first one would be the one that get used the most. It contains the break down of the different parts of the gun and how they changed over time. The second volume is more on the special guns.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
November 29, 2018 - 5:51 pm

The second volume is a continuation of the first, you need both volumes to get the full benefit.  Also as a side note, Ive see it, and understand that some of the later prints of the volumes (possibly volume II) has all the pages but some sections and pages are out of order by page number from the publisher. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
November 29, 2018 - 8:49 pm

When Jim was taking orders to get money for the first printing, I paid him ahead and locked in a serial number. I asked for s/n 73, he looked surprised and said no, I then asked for 44 and he agreed. I think he expected me to ask for a single digit number. Great book of 1873 knowledge regardless of serial number! I find myself looking at pictures in the book to clarify a feature, shape, or style of serial number is correct. You do not need a collection of 73’s to tell whats right if you have the book. Jim made the 73 understandable to the collector! T/R  

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
November 29, 2018 - 8:52 pm

Without a doubt, its a superb resource.

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
November 30, 2018 - 3:27 am

Had a chance to buy a set when they first came out. Glanced through them but I don’t remember anything but seeing pictures of all the variations.  He did not pay much attention to the condition.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
November 30, 2018 - 3:43 am

Yes, he only cared about having a good example of a feature. He would buy guns that have been bubbaized if it was uniquely done. I like his section on quality wrist repairs and the corresponding bad wrist repairs.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1553
November 30, 2018 - 4:47 am

1873man said
Yes, he only cared about having a good example of a feature. He would buy guns that have been bubbaized if it was uniquely done. I like his section on quality wrist repairs and the corresponding bad wrist repairs.

Bob  

Yes those types of details in the book are great, and you can tell it is written with a true collector’s mindset. Not by someone who was solely concerned with condition. A good comparison would be taking Gordon’s Book and any book by R.L. Wilson. If you flip to any page in Gordon’s Book you’re likely to see a gun in any condition. Wilson’s practically has to be all near mint or in the high end of condition to be in his books. This is also why I love George’s Books, you’ll find guns in the same condition as Gordon’s.  

One of my favorite sections is the various guns with “Saddle Wear” on the forearm. My father has a 32″ barrel 73 with a fair amount of this same type of saddle wear. But is one of those such details about the gun I just love. You know it has history, and was used a lot by its original owner.

I do have mixed feelings about the size of the book. I like that it is nice and big. All the photos are greatly done and you see a lot of detail. But the book’s size also makes it somewhat heavy, and harder / cumbersome to read. It also doesn’t exactly sit on most bookshelves well. 

I don’t think I would ever sell my set, like it to much. 

Sincerely,

Maverick

Wisconsin
WACA Member
November 30, 2018 - 4:58 am

When I asked Jim about the size of the book he said he was going for a coffee table book. I never seen another gun book that has a centerfold !

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
November 30, 2018 - 9:50 am

How much did the set sell for when it first came out and when was that?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 184
November 30, 2018 - 10:45 am

There was also a printout of his serial number survey listing with features of the guns. 

Wisconsin
WACA Member
November 30, 2018 - 3:01 pm

mrcvs said
How much did the set sell for when it first came out and when was that?  

I think it was just before he sold all his guns at Little Johns Auction in May of 98 and I think they sold for around $385. The pamphlet that he gave out along with the books contained all the guns in his survey, around 4000 but he only had a few hundred that went with the first books sold and never reprinted more. I talked to Jim about them and he said if anybody wanted a copy I could give it out so I scanned it and have it in PDF form.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
November 30, 2018 - 3:58 pm

1873man said

I think it was just before he sold all his guns at Little Johns Auction in May of 98 and I think they sold for around $385. The pamphlet that he gave out along with the books contained all the guns in his survey, around 4000 but he only had a few hundred that went with the first books sold and never reprinted more. I talked to Jim about them and he said if anybody wanted a copy I could give it out so I scanned it and have it in PDF form.

Bob  

That’s about the same time that I bought my set for $375, which came with his survey of 1873’s pamphlet.  They are still in like new condition.  I had them, along with his survey that consists of 110 pages, up for sale here on the forum about 18 months back, for $650.00.  No interest was shown so I just forgot about selling them at all.  I might get around to putting them up for sale again at a bit of a reduced price.  

Right now, it looks as if the ones at the link Michael posted might possibly turn out to being a great deal.

James

Wisconsin
WACA Member
November 30, 2018 - 4:41 pm

I was told that Jim first started selling the books at the Vegas show for an initial price of $250 and then the price went up.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 235
December 22, 2018 - 1:54 am

Bob;

I spoke to Jim Gorden prior to his publishing the Winchester 1873 books. Several of my ’73’s are in his books. (all since sold) After they were printed he sold a set to my wife, this a Christmas gift. The 2 volumes plus the list of guns he examined cost her $250.00. Great books on my favorite model Winchester.

Apache (ya-ta-hey)WinkWinkSmile

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
December 22, 2018 - 3:35 am

twobit said
Good morning all,

As we all know these books are darn hard to find and typically expensive when you do.  But, you will not find a finer set of reference books for a Winchester rifle than these.   Best of luck!   https://www.proxibid.com/18NV-27-JAMES-GORDON-2-VOLUME-SET/lotInformation/45277502

Michael  

Sold:  $750.00 bid

20% premium 

WACA Member
December 22, 2018 - 10:02 pm

jwm94 said

Sold:  $750.00 bid

20% premium   

They did hammer for $750.  Buyers premium is anywhere from 15% up plus sales tax if applicable.  Cash or check is 15%, credit card is higher and internet bidding is even higher.  Volume I sold at another auction a couple weeks ago for about $160.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1ned1, mrcvs, clarence, rogertherelic, Louis Luttrell, Zebulon
Guest(s) 149
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291
TR: 1710