Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1 of a kind 1894
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 2, 2021 - 12:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

No, you would get in trouble for failure to pay. If you watch the news these days the criminals have more rights than you do.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1100
May 2, 2021 - 1:22 am

I sometimes think these folks need a good dose of old fashioned justice, go take Their “stuff” and rough ’em up some.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
May 3, 2021 - 2:02 am

Henry Mero said
I sometimes think these folks need a good dose of old fashioned justice, go take Their “stuff” and rough ’em up some.  

Gunbroker needs to shut this guy down.  Earlier today, all of this seller’s auctions were pulled, but now they are all relisted again–including Henry’s 1894.  This guy’s a real POS.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=810544

Don

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 3, 2021 - 2:37 am

deerhunter said

Gunbroker needs to shut this guy down.  Earlier today, all of this seller’s auctions were pulled, but now they are all relisted again–including Henry’s 1894.  This guy’s a real POS.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=810544

Don  

Good luck convincing me or much of anyone around here that GB doesn’t know what’s going on. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10855
May 3, 2021 - 3:18 am

Gen

TXGunNut said

Good luck convincing me or much of anyone around here that GB doesn’t know what’s going on. 

Mike  

This can all be fixed with a call to the BATF or FBI.  Because this “sale” will undoubtedly cross state lines, it is a Federal offense (Felony).  If this was my gun, I would personally warn GB that if they do not shut this guy down, and take immediate actions to prevent him from ever relisting any firearms on their website again, that Federal law enforcement will be informed. Turning a “blind eye” to criminal activity is not acceptable.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 128
May 3, 2021 - 6:57 am

Go on Henry get him some time in a small cell to think about was it worth trying to fleece people of their money 

BASC member

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
May 3, 2021 - 1:39 pm

The one thing you can do to combat this is any time you put images out on the web is to water mark them. I started to do that when selling on Ebay because I had guys using my images since they were to lazy to take photos of their own stuff they were selling. Ebay was pretty good about shutting down auctions if someone used anothers pictures. I usually started with a message to the seller and sometimes they would tell you to pound sand then I reported them and then the images were down. The only problem you have is GB does not have a spine but water marks will help.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 4, 2021 - 4:10 am

Bert H. said
Gen

This can all be fixed with a call to the BATF or FBI.  Because this “sale” will undoubtedly cross state lines, it is a Federal offense (Felony).  If this was my gun, I would personally warn GB that if they do not shut this guy down, and take immediate actions to prevent him from ever relisting any firearms on their website again, that Federal law enforcement will be informed. Turning a “blind eye” to criminal activity is not acceptable.  

Since the rifle is in Canada I’m not sure how US law enforcement will approach it. I don’t want an unsuspecting “buyer” to report it stolen when it doesn’t show up after he “wins” the auction. I’m hoping GB will see the light and shut this guy down.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
May 4, 2021 - 5:20 pm

Bert H. said
Gen

I wonder how the BATF would view this?  There can be no actual, “sale” as the gunbroker hacker does not possess the rifle. The rifle could not be confiscated from him because he has never been in possession of it.  And for that reason, there is no sale to cross state lines as not rifle would not cross state lines.  And, unless someone has transferred money to the seller, no one has been defrauded.  However, clearly attempted fraud is being attempted.  

What I find particularly frightening is for any of us who have a gunbroker account (or Ebay, gunaucton, etc.) how do we know this isn’t happening to us right now?  I haven’t sold anything for many years but still have accounts.  How do I know someone hasn’t hacked my password and is pretending to be me?  Once an account is hacked, the fraudster can change whatever they want.  In the case of Henry’s rifles, the fake seller changed his location (I believe the legitimate seller had been located in Texas and the fraudster changed it to Colorado).  He can also change the e-mail address so he receives the e-mails vs. the e-mails going to the original account holder.  

There are ways to check this.  I can log in to whatever accounts I have to see if I am offering anything for sale.  Wouldn’t that be a shock Yell  I can also check my feedback – see if a bunch of people are still waiting for their item  Yell  I wonder if the legitimate holder of the account selling Henry’s rifle, knows what has been going on?

I suppose if a fraudster has hacked my account and changed the password, I wouldn’t be able to get in.  But until I read this thread, who knows, I might have just assumed I remembered the password incorrectly and dropped it.  Even if I attend to this today, the problem is, what about tomorrow?  Frequent vigilance would be prudent.  

I never considered someone could have hacked my accounts and be selling items as me.  Scary world out there.  Criminals are skilled at thinking of things law-abiding people wouldn’t.  Unfortunately, that gives them an edge.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 426crown, clarence, btbell, Steven Gabrielli, Zebulon
Guest(s) 199
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6391
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263