Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester's RAREST REVERSABLE FRONT SIGHT of 1882
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 235
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 21, 2018 - 1:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’m not sure this is the place to discuss this Rarest of all the Winchester Front sights, so please forgive me if it’s not. First a question for all of you. How would you like to have purchased an 1876 Short Rifle, it self pretty scarce, then to discover that attached to it is a front sight so rare most never knew it existed in Winchester’s inventory? In the Winchester 1882 Catalog, listed for the sum of $1.50, a “Reserseable Front Sight”. Evidently it wasn’t a big seller as I think it was made very few in number, and disappeared within a year or so. Few if any ever heard of it until a couple of years ago. At that time I asked the Forum what they thought the value of this most rare sight could be. In any case it certainly a sight to be looked into by those interested in rare Winchester sights. No, it’s not for sale, at least not yet.

Thanks for your patients, Apache (ya ta hey)Wink

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
December 21, 2018 - 1:49 am

Here is the thread from back then. Reversible Front Sight

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
December 21, 2018 - 3:46 am

Apache-

This 1876 of yours is getting more interesting by the day. After the Christmas commotion is all over I’m hoping to see pics of this rifle. May your Christmas be joyful!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 235
December 21, 2018 - 3:48 pm

Mike;

The rifle, although it is a Winchester “Short Rifle”, this with British Proofs, it isn’t a fancy Deluxe, 50-95 that once belonged to the King of England. What it is though is a 40-60 WCF with standard wood and that rare Winchester front sight. This was a rifle that was used for its designed purpose, that is hunting medium game for the pot. The mechanics of this rifle are in perfect working order, the bore excellent. It has a rear “Tang Sight” that seems to only work with an 1876. I don’t know if it was made here or in England. I also have the Winchester Loading Tool and Bullet Mold for the 40-60 WCF, which for me are must have items. It has been the only ’76 I’ve ever owned. My favorite Model being the 1873 of which I’ve owned a goodly number over the last years. For Arizona hunting the ’76 is just fine. I plan to keep it until the end. Mike, you and your family have a Merry Christmas, Apache (ya-ta-hey)SmileSmile

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
December 21, 2018 - 8:44 pm

Nice sight, never seen one before of if I did never realized it was for a Winchester.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H.
Guest(s) 138
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160