Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
A most unusual "Combinatiion Sight" for the 1876
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 235
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 28, 2015 - 8:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

In either the 1882 or 1883 Winchester Catalog there is a front sight listed as a “Combination Sight” that looks like a dovetailed Globe sight with a post in the middle, but when revolved 90 degrees it becomes a sort of “Rabbit Ears” sight with a post in the center. Has anyone ever seen one of these? It was a sight made for the Model 1876 rifle from what I understand.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
April 28, 2015 - 11:15 pm

I have never seen one like that before on a gun. Its like a Lyman 5 or Beech globe sight but the post is fixed and the globe flips.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
April 29, 2015 - 7:02 pm

“73 Man;

The sight I’m refurring to is nothing like a Beeches sight, which flips up and down, but does not revolve. I have a Beeches sight on my 1873, 44/40 rifle. The sight I’m refurring to was made for the Winchester 1876 and actually revolves. One way it’s a Globe sight with a central post, the other way a sort of Rabbit Ears with a central post. I saw it in a Winchester Catalog, the year being either 1881,82 or 1883. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this most unusual Winchester front sight.ConfusedConfused

Wisconsin
WACA Member
April 29, 2015 - 8:00 pm

The sight I referred to is what the 1882 catalog said was the Winchester combination sight and is like you described except it couldn’t see what you meant as “rabbit ears”.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
April 29, 2015 - 10:55 pm

I looked at the catalog again and found the Winchester Reversible Sight. It has a fixed post and is a globe tube style with a U cut in the middle of the tube and the globe rotates so in one position you are looking through the globe and the other you are looking through the U cut like a open sight. I can see where it kind of looks like rabbit ears.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
May 3, 2015 - 11:44 pm

That’s the sight I’m talking about. Has anyone actually ever seen this sight on a Winchester 1876 rifle? I would like to know if anyone has one for sale, and the price they’re asking for it. I’ve seen one many years ago at a gun show in Maine, it was being offered by a local gun parts dealer, but I made a huge mistake and passed it by. I saw it in a copy of a  Winchester catalog after the show was over. I’ve never seen nor heard of this sight anywhere else or ever again. Has anyone?EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed

Wisconsin
WACA Member
May 4, 2015 - 12:28 am

Here is a picture from the catalog. I have never seen one that I recall.

Bob

reversable.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
May 4, 2015 - 1:42 am

That’s a very unique and interesting sight……thanks for posting  the picture Bob. That’s the first time I’ve seen anything like that.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
May 7, 2015 - 4:12 pm

Please forgive me for telling a small white lie about the “Winchester Reverseable Sight”. I was at the 1998 Syracuse New York show looking at the sights that a parts dealer from Maine had on display. I did in fact see the sight in one of his cases and remembered seeing it pictured in a book somewhere, but couldn’t remember where. Instead of walking away as I had said in an earlier post, I bought it. Needless to say no one ever saw this sight before, as a result the price was quite low. It’s now on my 1876 British proofed “Short Rifle”. Over the years I’ve been looking for another “Winchester Reverseable”, but since ’98 have never seen nor heard of anyone else seeing one of these most rare Winchester sights. I’ve been a Winchester collector since 1988, and have always looked for oddities. I’ve been a member of WACA since ’90. Thank you ’73 Man for the time and effort doing research into my request for information on the “Winchester Reverseable Sight”. If I can ever return the favor, please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best. Apache.

WACA Guest
June 9, 2015 - 10:39 pm

Bert H. or anyone else;

What do you think the value of this “Rara Avis”  Winchester Reverseable Sight could be in todays market? Since to the best of my knowledge there are perhaps 2 or at most 5 of these sights out there. Most likely there are less. Although they were manufactured by Winchester in the early to mid 1880’s and were advertised in their catalog, these Reverseable Sights obviously weren’t a big seller. this of coarse makes them pretty rare to the Winchester Collector. Are there any WACA members that have one or at least have ever seen one in the “Flesh” so to speak before? I have the only one I’ve ever seen or even heard of, and it’s located on my Winchester British Proofed 1876 “Short Rifle”. I sure would like to find another one of these thoughCool.

Thanks, Apache

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
June 10, 2015 - 3:57 am

Larry,

I have no idea what that sight is worth, but suspect that $300 might not be enough to pry it loose from somebody who has one.  It is definitely an interesting sight.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
November 8, 2015 - 3:23 am

Hey out there in Winchester Land;

I’m still looking for another of these rare, if not the most rare Winchester Combination sights. I’d hate to think that I have the only one that’s still in existance. I knew it was unusual when I first bought it, but never realized that it just might be the rarest sight Winchester ever produced. Does anyone know how many Winchester actually produced? They appeared in the Winchester 1882-1883 catalog, but to the best of my knowledge were never seen after that.

Apache.Confused

WACA Guest
March 4, 2016 - 4:27 pm

To All;

What do you people think would be the value of a Winchester Front Sight known as the “Winchester Reversible Sight” if there was only 1 remaining in existence? It seems that’s the case as far as the one I have on my 1876 British Proofed Short Rifle. I know Bert H. said “$300.00 wouldn’t be enough to pry it loose from someone that has one”, but I’m very curious as to what one of these sights just might bring in todays market place, saying that there are at most under 10 in existence.

Apache,ConfusedConfused

Wisconsin
WACA Member
March 4, 2016 - 6:01 pm

It would be worth a lot to someone that had a gun that lettered with it but beyond that its a obscure sight that I think your going to find hard to sell. Maybe a collector of sights that just wants it to fill a hole in the collection. Start at the $300 and see what happens. If its got lots of blue it will sell.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
March 4, 2016 - 7:44 pm

I’m pretty sure I saw this sight, or one just like it, on eBay within the last 2 months.  Only noticed it because of apache’s prior 4/28/15 post on the same subject.  Didn’t put it on my watch list so I don’t know what it sold for.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
March 4, 2016 - 8:07 pm

Bob, Wincacher;

I’m going to sell it along with the 1876 it’s attached to. Probably at auction, along with the rest of my Winchesters and a few of my Colts, Walther and Mausers. (sporting not military) I’ll let this Forum know when they’ll come up for auction, so if any are interested you’ll have a chance at them. WallyB, the 1866 will be amongst the items for sale. It’s time to let go of it.

Apache, (Ya ta hey kola)CryCryCryCryCryCrySmile

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: clarence, DEEREHART, Tom D, Bill Hanzel, wclary, Dv0
Guest(s) 153
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323