Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Vernier sight on my 1885 Winchester.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 43
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 17, 2023 - 7:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am trying to get some more information on this vernier sight.  Under the base of the sight it is marked, MAR 30 86.  It has the exact same “knuckle” as the Wetmore sight except the top of the frame is flat and it has a elevation screw with the vernier markings on the side of the frame.  The eye cup loosens but will not detach.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US338898

I was told it is a Winchester sight!

Thanks,

Ed

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
March 17, 2023 - 8:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Called “Graduated Peep Sight” in the WRA cat.  As the pat states, Wetmore assigned his design to WRA.

Reading the description, I now know who to blame for ending production of the thick-base sights I particularly like.  Devising a means to avoid a need for what he called the “feather spring” in the thick base was the purpose that inspired his creation. 

WACA Member
March 17, 2023 - 9:34 pm

Thanks Clarence, did Winchester update this sight to add the elevator?

NY
WACA Member
March 17, 2023 - 9:44 pm

Edward Kitner said

Do you mean the screw-adjustable sight called the Mid-Range Vernier?  Yes, I guess you could say it was an update, as it had previously been made with the thick base.  The Graduated was formerly made in a thick base version, too.

WACA Member
March 18, 2023 - 12:15 am

Thanks again, I’m learning!

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
March 18, 2023 - 1:46 am

Edward Kitner said

The Graduated Peep sight was not “upgraded” for the vertical elevation thumb screw.  The Mid Range Vernier tang sight with the vertical elevation screw was its own separate design.  Winchester used and installed both types on at least several thousand Single Shot rifles.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
March 18, 2023 - 2:57 am

Bert H. said

The Graduated Peep sight was not “upgraded” for the vertical elevation thumb screw.  The Mid Range Vernier tang sight with the vertical elevation screw was its own separate design.  Winchester used and installed both types on at least several thousand Single Shot rifles.

But Witmer’s design replaced the thick base & “feather spring” of the earlier Mid-Range–that’s what Ed meant by “update,” & in that respect he is correct.

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 18, 2023 - 3:07 am

Edward Kitner said

No they did not.  The Graduated Peep sight remained in production in the same form for at least 25-years after the Mid Ranger Vernier sight was in use.

Bert

NY
WACA Member
March 18, 2023 - 4:25 am

Bert H. said No they did not.  The Graduated Peep sight remained in production in the same form for at least 25-years after the Mid Ranger Vernier sight was in use. 

Of course–any WRA catalog of this period shows both sights side by side.  No one said that one superseded the other, as you seem to be implying.  Ed’s point (& mine) is that Witmer’s patent changed the subsequent design of both sights: thick bases were out, thin bases were in.   

Kingston, WA
Admin
March 18, 2023 - 5:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

clarence said

Bert H. said No they did not.  The Graduated Peep sight remained in production in the same form for at least 25-years after the Mid Ranger Vernier sight was in use. 

Of course–any WRA catalog of this period shows both sights side by side.  No one said that one superseded the other, as you seem to be implying.  Ed’s point (& mine) is that Witmer’s patent changed the subsequent design of both sights: thick bases were out, thin bases were in.   

Clarence… go reread Post #3 in this string.  It is very clear to me that Ed was not asking about the sight base that you seem to be so fixated about!  I accurately answered his question about the elevation mechanism.  The two sights used completely different mechanisms for elevating the eye-piece, which was what Ed asked about in Post #3.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter
Guest(s) 198
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601